Bills release DT Star Lotuleilei

TheKillerNacho

47 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I wouldn't consider him a 1st round bust but as a Jets fan, I never headed into a Buffalo Bills game while fearing, 'Star Lotulelei'; he's just never really been any good. 

Not a big loss for Buffalo (@ all). 

What he did as a Bill really shouldn't even color this question - he played through his fifth year option in CAR and played well enough to net a $10M AAV contract in 2018 ($50M / 5 years).

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

With all the DL depth they've been accumulating, this was expected. A predictable FA bust if there ever was one.

He'll catch on somewhere. Probably with a much more agreeable price tag.

He wasnt a bust lol.. Our defensive struggles coincided with Star injured. As soon as he came back we were strong again. 

He keeps linemen off of LBs very well and that cant be overlooked 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

He wasnt a bust lol..

Virtually every metric says otherwise, both as a Bill and Panther.

Our defensive struggles coincided with Star injured. As soon as he came back we were strong again.

Coincidence.

He keeps linemen off of LBs very well and that cant be overlooked 

That's like... the bare minimum of a DT's duties and not something that warrants the cap hit he had. You're probably the first person I've seen talk positively about him since his rookie year, lol.

He's... okay. Like I said, he'll catch on somewhere. But someone you probably want in a rotation at this point in his career.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Virtually every metric says otherwise, both as a Bill and Panther.

Coincidence.

That's like... the bare minimum of a DT's duties and not something that warrants the cap hit he had. You're probably the first person I've seen talk positively about him since his rookie year, lol.

He's... okay. Like I said, he'll catch on somewhere. But someone you probably want in a rotation at this point in his career.

I guess we have different opinion of what a bust is. Anyways I expected Star gone by July anyways 

7 hours ago, sp6488 said:

What he did as a Bill really shouldn't even color this question - he played through his fifth year option in CAR and played well enough to net a $10M AAV contract in 2018 ($50M / 5 years).

What does that mean? 

This thread is proof he's not a big loss for Buffalo. Only 8-9 posts and almost 10 hours later is proof in the pudding.

He's not a bust but he's a pretty mediocre former 1st round pick, an overall disappointment and has never been an NFL impact player. 

PS: Carolina traded a 2nd round pick + a 4th round pick for Sam Darnold after busting in NY 3rd overall. NY drafting him 3rd overall and Carolina wasting 2nd/4th round picks on him doesn't change the fact Sam hasn't been a bust. 

Star Lotulelei has been a big time NFL disappointment. I thought he was going to cause havoc coming out college. He hasn't.

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I guess we have different opinion of what a bust is. Anyways I expected Star gone by July anyways 

I think there's probably a middleground somewhere between "bust" and "home run" that exists here.  He never really lived up to his billing at all.  But he did become an effective player in a different sort of role, with a different sort of impact.  And he'll catch on somewhere to continue in that.  Not really a "bust"...but a pretty big disappointment based on expectations and draft position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

What does that mean? 

This thread is proof he's not a big loss for Buffalo. Only 8-9 posts and almost 10 hours later is proof in the pudding.

He's not a bust but he's a pretty mediocre former 1st round pick, an overall disappointment and has never been an NFL impact player. 

PS: Carolina traded a 2nd round pick + a 4th round pick for Sam Darnold after busting in NY 3rd overall. NY drafting him 3rd overall and Carolina wasting 2nd/4th round picks on him doesn't change the fact Sam hasn't been a bust. 

Star Lotulelei has been a big time NFL disappointment. I thought he was going to cause havoc coming out college. He hasn't.

It means that he was drafted by Carolina, so buffalo releasing him in his 30s to recoup cap isn’t great evidence that he was a draft bust