Packfanfb's "Post Holy **** We Traded Davante" Mock

packfanfb

Didn't think Gute had the stones to do it, but this trade should end up benefiting the Packers in the end if we draft well and fill in some blanks with the extra money. 

Cap Space: $20,566,000 (according to Ingalls post Adams trade)

Pre-Draft Signings: 

Rasul Douglas - (3/$16m - 2022 cap: $3m) 

Packers expected to keep free agent CB Rasul Douglas

No brainer. Seems to already be pretty much confirmed after the Adams trade. Bring 29 back into the fold and add him to the group with Jaire and Stokes. Top CB room in the NFL. 

Robert Tonyan - (1/$4.5m - 2022 cap: $2.25m + void year) 

Robert Tonyan

Still think Tonyan is the best bet at TE for 2022. Word is he'll be ready for the start of the season and he'll be a familiar face for Rodgers. Should also be pretty cheap given he's coming off an injury. He gets a one-year prove it deal. 

Julio Jones - (1/$11m - 2022 cap: $3.6m + 2 void yr) 

Tennessee Titans plan to release WR Julio Jones

Jones is a wildcard. Obviously he's getting up there in age and hasn't been real healthy lately, but he's still just 2 years removed from dominant season in 2019. Rodgers has never had a WR like him and IF he can stay healthy, it could turn out to be a boom signing.  

Marquez Valdes-Scantling - (1/$5.5m - 2022 cap: $2.25m + void yr) 

The Most Important Green Bay Packers: Marquez Valdes-Scantling Playing His  Way Toward Second Contract

Not huge on bringing MVS back, but we need that speed element and it really comes down to either him or Fuller, who simply is hurt too often (and we're already taking that chance on Julio's health). So, the Packers go with the familiar player and bring back MVS. It would be a good move for him as well to try to come back and get more chances with 12 without Adams to see if he can improve his chances for a better deal in 2023. 

Draft

Round 1 (Pick 22) - Chris Olave - WR (OSU) - 6'0" 187 lbs

WATCH: Ohio State star WR Chris Olave breaks all-time school record for TD  receptions vs. Michigan State - CBSSports.com

Easy choice, it's Olave. Smart player who is ready to play from day 1. Olave is an instant impact, play-making WR that our offense has not had for a long time other than 17. Very easily could be our No. 1 WR by middle of the season, but if all works out, Julio, Olave and MVS would be your top 3 guys, all providing different skill sets for the passing game. 

Round 1 (Pick 28) - Boye Mafe - EDGE (Minn) - 6'4", 261 lbs

Can Minnesota Gophers DE Boye Mafe lead the Country in Sacks?

I just keep thinking Mafe is going to high on the Packers radar at the end of the 1st round. Only real knock on him is that he's 23, but otherwise, he has all the athletic measureables we typically look for in the position. Even his "player comparison" on NFL.com is Gary. Should be able to come in immediately and be EDGE No. 3 behind Preston/Gary and help spell those guys or join them in rush packages. 

Round 2 (Pick 53) - Travis Jones - DT (UConn) - 6'4", 325 lbs

NFL Draft Profile: Travis Jones, Defensive Lineman, UConn Huskies - Visit NFL  Draft on Sports Illustrated, the latest news coverage, with rankings for NFL  Draft prospects, College Football, Dynasty and Devy Fantasy

Jones is a big, powerful dude. May be best suited for NT, but even so, that would give the Packers more flexibility with Clark in moving him around. Jones' forte is against the run, but has upside due to his strength at being a pocket pusher. Another option here would be Winfrey who is more of a 3T, pass rusher, but Jones helps solidify the run defense up front allowing guys like Campbell and co. to make plays. 

Round 2 (Pick 59) - Tyler Smith - OT/OG (Tulsa) - 6'5", 324 lbs

OT Tyler Smith NFL Draft Profile (Tulsa) - Football Sapient

Packers have hammered the OL picks in the draft the last few years, but haven't used a top 60 pick there since Jenkins. I like Smith because he's versatile (proved at the combine that he has the agility to play OT in the NFL (RAS 8.76)), but I think his eventual home is at OG. He's a mauler and bad *** human. Plays with a nasty streak. Still believe that Jenkins will be the starting RT for the Packers in 2023 after he comes back and Turner is gone. Also believe we shouldn't be satisfied with Newman as the future RG, we can do better. Smith could add to that interior unit and be a versatile depth player or Day 1 starter at RG. 

Round 3 (Pick 92) - Nick Cross - S (Maryland) - 6'1", 215 lbs

2022 NFL draft: Meet Nick Cross, Maryland's versatile DB prospect

Intelligent player who has drawn some comparisons to Amos in his play style. With the futures being uncertain for both Savage and Amos past next season, safety is a position where we need to add young talent. Plus ST guy too. 

Round 4 (Pick 132) - Cole Strange - OG/OC (Chatt) -  6'5", 307 lbs

Cole Strange continues to shine on day 3 of Senior Bowl practices

Small school prospect who probably needs to fill out a little more, but does nothing but get the job done. Tough, intelligent and versatile interior player who should replace Patrick as the jack-of-all-trades No. 7-8 guy in the OL room. 

Round 4 (Pick 140) - Daniel Bellinger - TE (SDSU) - 6'5", 253 lbs

5 Things to Watch: Aztecs vs. Towson - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Bellinger is an ideal young replacement for Lewis. Not as big, but a tenacious blocker with upside as a receiving threat. Had a great combine, which will no doubt boost his stock as well (RAS 9.49). 

Round 5 (Pick 171) - Akayleb Evans - CB (Missouri) - 6'2", 198 lbs

Akayleb Evans Scouting Report - Draft Dive | 2022 NFL Draft Cornerback

9.63 RAS and the length to be a viable roster replacement for King and add to ST. 

Round 7 (Pick 229) - Darien Butler - ILB (ASU) - 6'0", 225 lbs

ASUDevils - Darien Butler declares for NFL draft, opts out of bowl game

Rangy ILB who could make the teams as a STer and add to the shoddy depth behind Campbell/Barnes. 

Round 7 (Pick 250) - Eric Johnson - DL (Missouri State) - 6'4", 297 lbs

NFL Draft Profile: Eric Johnson, Defensive Lineman, Missouri State Bears -  Visit NFL Draft on Sports Illustrated, the latest news coverage, with  rankings for NFL Draft prospects, College Football, Dynasty and Devy

Small-schooler sleeper. Our DL depth is suspect and can use more competition. 

Round 7 (Pick 259) - Cal Adomitis LS (Pitt) 

Cal Adomitis (@CalAdomitis) / Twitter

He was the only long snapper invited to the NFL Combine. That's good enough for me. 

Post Draft Depth Chart

QB: Rodgers / Love / Benkert

RB: Jones / Dillon / Hill / Taylor

WR: J. Jones / Olave / MVS / Lazard / Cobb / A. Rodgers

TE: Tonyan / Lewis / Degaura / Bellinger / Dafney

OL: Bakhtiari / Runyan / Myers / T. Smith / Nijman / Newman / Strange / Van Lanen (Jenkins - likely PUP) 

DL: Clark / Lowry / T. Jones / Slaton / E. Johnson / Heflin 

EDGE: P. Smith / Gary / Mafe / Garvin / Ramsey / Galeai 

ILB: Campbell / Barnes / Summers / McDuffie / Butler

CB: Alexander / Douglas / Stokes / Jean-Charles / Evans / Ento

S: Amos / Savage / Cross / Scott / Gaines / Davis

Special: Crosby / O'Donnell / Adomitis

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

After establishing that they will not dedicate a ton of resources to the WR position, we've decided to . . . dedicate a ton of resources to the WR position.

Julio and one draft pick is a "ton" of resources? I almost went WR again in the 3rd lol.

• Like 3

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, Julio Jones and a 1st round draft pick is a ton of resources when you've brought back MVS, Lazard, and Cobb. You don't need 6 guys at WR.

I mean to be fair... MVS + Lazard + Cobb = 1.5 NFL Receivers. I can't help that Gute is stuck with Cobb, but it's not impacting my chance to add actual talent to that room.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Him not being on the roster.

Lol, which was his choice. We offered him a contract that would break the record of the record breaking deal he signed. 

So what we just draft CB #4 or an OL to ride the pine and trot Amari out there cause we don't value WRs?

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean to be fair... MVS + Lazard + Cobb = 1.5 NFL Receivers. I can't help that Gute is stuck with Cobb, but it's not impacting my chance to add actual talent to that room.

Genuinely serious, how many NFL WRs do you think are in the NFC right now?

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Lol, which was his choice. We offered him a contract that would break the record of the record breaking deal he signed. 

So what we just draft CB #4 or an OL to ride the pine and trot Amari out there cause we don't value WRs?

And he ended up on the Raiders when we decided we would prefer the draft picks. If we were desperate he would've played under the tag. 

How about trying to get an UT that doesn't suck, or a #3 Edge that will play more snaps than a #4 WR?

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

There are only so many roster spots and the Packers are only carrying 5 WR's, 6 tops. Whether you want to count them as 1.5 or not they are 3 roster spots and Amari Rodgers isn't going anywhere, so that is 4. The 5th and if there is a 6th, they will need to excel on ST's, you can bet the new ST's coach will have a say in who those guys are. 

From a roster construction standpoint, a team really only has room for one old washed up, injury prone WR who doesn't play any ST and the Packers are locked into Cobb as that guy. So it feels like you are top heavy with guy who can only play from scrimmage and that is probably not realistic.