Packers Release TE Marty B ... Claimed by Patriots ... Placed on IR

bucsfan333

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

Green Bay starting to sound like a bitter ex girlfriend. Gave the money to a player, then cut him, and now wants that money back. Don't work that way honey.

This is BS knee high to an Indian.  You know damn well that if ANYBODY did to your team what Bennett is doing and has done to the Packers, you'd think as little of that player as Packer fans do of Bennett, and you'd want your team to get that money back. 

Bennett had 20 drops for the Packers.  He didn't disclose an injury.  He quit when the chips were down. 

Name one company in the entire country that wouldn't go after a signing bonus if they hired somebody who sucked at their job and then quit after five weeks of work.  I'll wait for that magical company. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This is BS knee high to an Indian.  You know damn well that if ANYBODY did to your team what Bennett is doing and has done to the Packers, you'd think as little of that player as Packer fans do of Bennett, and you'd want your team to get that money back. 

Bennett had 20 drops for the Packers.  He didn't disclose an injury.  He quit when the chips were down. 

Name one company in the entire country that wouldn't go after a signing bonus if they hired somebody who sucked at their job and then quit after five weeks of work.  I'll wait for that magical company. 

Bennett didn't quit, he was cut. The Packers made that decision to move on from him.

9 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Bennett didn't quit, he was cut. The Packers made that decision to move on from him.

So if you sit at your desk all day and make mock drafts and your company fires you, that was their decision and you aren't liable for any of your actions?

Bennett set a precedent that his shoulder was fine enough to never miss a practice/game, then Aaron got hurt. Now he's retiring and he can't practice or play anymore. Gets cut and immediately practices and plays. He quit, it's not that hard for anyone to grasp but you keep arguing.

Because he quit.  Because he refused to play.  You get hired and on your application it asks you if you can lift 50 pounds and you can't lift 50 pounds, should you be able to keep the job?  No.  He lied about an injury.  That's literally fraud, and any company in the country would do what the Packers are doing.

Every comeback you have is literally summed up and beaten with the following flow of facts:

1. Bennett signed a contract to play football for three years.  2. Bennett was cleared by the team's doctor to play through an injury.  3. Bennett refused to play through the injury.  4. Bennett was cut.  5. Bennett played through the injury he refused to play through with Green Bay.

There's literally no defending his actions.  These are literally facts. 

You're defending an indefensible position.  What Bennett did was wrong, and he should suffer every legal circumstance for it.  Find a precedent where literally any company in the country and probably the world doesn't have the legal and moral right to go after money that Bennett got by not following through with the terms of the contract HE SIGNED. 

Just now, TENINCH said:

How dare Bennett make me side with the Packers!

Even Vikings fans see it, yet one person is arguing for Bennett.  This is literally the clearest example of anything.  Even Suh's excuse of his feet being numb to the cold when he stepped on Aaron's calf that one year is more believable than Bennett being a victim in all this. 

8 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Because he quit.  Because he refused to play.  You get hired and on your application it asks you if you can lift 50 pounds and you can't lift 50 pounds, should you be able to keep the job?  No.  He lied about an injury.  That's literally fraud, and any company in the country would do what the Packers are doing.

Every comeback you have is literally summed up and beaten with the following flow of facts:

1. Bennett signed a contract to play football for three years.  2. Bennett was cleared by the team's doctor to play through an injury.  3. Bennett refused to play through the injury.  4. Bennett was cut.  5. Bennett played through the injury he refused to play through with Green Bay.

There's literally no defending his actions.  These are literally facts. 

You're defending an indefensible position.  What Bennett did was wrong, and he should suffer every legal circumstance for it.  Find a precedent where literally any company in the country and probably the world doesn't have the legal and moral right to go after money that Bennett got by not following through with the terms of the contract HE SIGNED. 

I don't think he lied about an injury, I think it was mutual when he signed. Doc probably said the location of the tear was in a position he could play with and not be at a risk for further injury (my labrum tear is this way.) Bennett agreed and wanted to play. Bye week occurs, Bennett comes back and says his shoulder is worse, Doc does and MRI and nothing has changed, Bennett refuses to practice and asks for 2nd opinions. Second opinions probably say the same thing (I refuse to believe Bennett's side of the story where they all recommended surgery, the Packers are so cautious with injury, if that tear was in a bad spot, there's no chance he was offered a deal). Got to a point where Bennett either went on IR and retires, or we cut him and went after his bonus. We did the smart thing.

Effort on the field is subjective to interpretation. Fans who feel a player isn't giving full effort will say so, but unlike something such as a cell phone that displays a battery % remaining, we cannot actually assess a % for effort on the football field.

Instead, I'm focusing on the facts. Fact is, Green Bay gave Bennett a signing bonus. Fact is, Green Bay cut Bennett. Now they want to go after the money they initially gave him, when it was their decision to move on from him.

I'm not arguing for Bennett or saying what he did was right or wrong. I'm simply stating that a franchise that gave a signing bonus, made the decision themselves to cut the player, now wants to turn around and take the money back is probably not going to fly. This isn't Calvin Johnson retiring and having to give back a portion of his bonus, this was the team making the decision.

If we allow Green Bay to go after a signing bonus when they are the ones who cut Bennett, that opens up a really ugly realm of possibility where every single player in the NFL who is subject to being cut will have their signing bonuses pursued by the team that initially gave it to them. That's not a good situation for players, especially since their contracts aren't fully guaranteed like in the MLB or NBA.

@HorizontoZenith

I’m with you in that Bennett pulled a shady move and is sort of a dirt bag for essentially quitting on the Packers. 

But it isn’t outlandish for a guy to be cleared my the medical team and not play. Players who are probable/questionable/doubtful on game day are typically cleared to play (otherwise they’d be listed as out) but are making a last second call on whether they’re comfortable enough to see the field or not. 

It doesn’t make what he does any better - flat out stating that he doesn’t want to play through an injury and requires surgery for the Packers, but suits up for the Patriots - but just doing the former isn’t really crazy.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I don't think he lied about an injury, I think it was mutual when he signed.

I'm not saying he lied about the injury when he signed.  I don't think he did either.  But he did lie about the injury.  Soon as Rodgers got hurt it became unbearable until Brady was healthy.  I mean...

Effort on the field is subjective to interpretation. Fans who feel a player isn't giving full effort will say so, but unlike something such as a cell phone that displays a battery % remaining, we cannot actually assess a % for effort on the football field.

Instead, I'm focusing on the facts. Fact is, Green Bay gave Bennett a signing bonus. Fact is, Green Bay cut Bennett. Now they want to go after the money they initially gave him, when it was their decision to move on from him.

I'm not arguing for Bennett or saying what he did was right or wrong. I'm simply stating that a franchise that gave a signing bonus, made the decision themselves to cut the player, now wants to turn around and take the money back is probably not going to fly. This isn't Calvin Johnson retiring and having to give back a portion of his bonus, this was the team making the decision.

If we allow Green Bay to go after a signing bonus when they are the ones who cut Bennett, that opens up a really ugly realm of possibility where every single player in the NFL who is subject to being cut will have their signing bonuses pursued by the team that initially gave it to them. That's not a good situation for players, especially since their contracts aren't fully guaranteed like in the MLB or NBA.

You can prove effort when someone refuses to practice or play. The Packers already declared Bennett out on Tuesday morning after MNF, when he was questionable. Meaning he had probably left the facility and wasn't going to rehab/practice.

Contract is a 2 way street, you have to fulfill an obligation as a player. Which means showing up to work, the easiest obligation ever and Bennett didn't do this, he doesn't deserve all his bonus.

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm not saying he lied about the injury when he signed.  I don't think he did either.  But he did lie about the injury.  Soon as Rodgers got hurt it became unbearable until Brady was healthy.  I mean...

In that regard yes, it didn't suddenly get worse or he'd be on our IR getting the surgery and receiving his full bonus. Packers have earned the benefit of the doubt here when it comes to how the medical staff has treated past/present players. They do the right thing for the player, unless that player flat out quits.

5 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Well if Bennett wasn't showing up to his scheduled treatment sessions and wasn't doing the mandatory rehab as prescribed by the doctors then I can understand the pursuit of his signing bonus. But from what I've read on this situation I hadn't seen that mentioned.

I think the fact that a player who was questionable to play on MNF vs the Lions, then the next day was already declared out for the Bears game and then cut the following morning means that he left the facility and basically left the Packers a choice of IR or release.

We'd never declare a player out that early I mean Bulaga tore his ACL that night and wasn't declared out yet.

Archived