Packers Release TE Marty B ... Claimed by Patriots ... Placed on IR

bucsfan333

3 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21362068/new-england-patriots-te-martellus-bennett-torn-rotator-cuff-labrum

Do you still think he's a 'turd' who faked an injury? Or perhaps for fear of getting caught being injury-less, he decided to have his rotator cuff and labrum torn, to fully commit to his 'story'?

It's just ignorance. 

Likely situation is the guy gutted things out with a bum shoulder when Rodgers was playing(maybe explains why he's been so terrible catching the ball) and once Rodgers went down, he quit and decided he wanted the surgery because there wasn't much reason to gut things out on a team not going anywhere. Now that he's back on the Patriots with a chance to win, he's gutting it out again

Dr. Andrews said he could keep playing.  Three other doctors told him he needs to get it fixed.  He said he wanted surgery, Packers wanted him to play.  He goes to Patriots, practices, looks like he'll play. 

How are people defending Bennett?  He sucked with Rodgers because he was playing through an injury that he didn't disclose.  Rodgers gets hurt, he needs surgery.  He gets cut, goes to New England, doesn't need surgery. 

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21362068/new-england-patriots-te-martellus-bennett-torn-rotator-cuff-labrum

Do you still think he's a 'turd' who faked an injury? Or perhaps for fear of getting caught being injury-less, he decided to have his rotator cuff and labrum torn, to fully commit to his 'story'?

I don't think anybody is saying he faked an injury at this point.  What I'm saying is he was injured, played through it when Rodgers was healthy, Rodgers got hurt and he decided not to play through it, got cleared from Dr. Andrews, didn't want to play, got three opinions from other doctors who told him he should get it fixed, went to New England and miraculously healed enough to play and no longer wants surgery after he suddenly has a healthy starting QB. 

I actually understand it from both sides tbh. I mean, it's a bad look on Marty B's character but he's never been one to care about that and we know that by now. There's a reason a talented TE like him has jumped from team to team throughout his career. I mean, not often you can say Cowboys, Bears, and Packers fans can all agree on something but on Marty B they probably could

With GB's season toast, Bennett didn't see the point anymore in risking his body to play through the injury, so he decided to opt for the surgery. I can understand that from his end

On the flip side, from GB's end, I understand why they want a return on that signing bonus since the guy was obviously ok playing through it when they had Rodgers and only suddenly wanted the surgery once he goes down and the season goes up in flames. THey felt like he gave up on the team and took his ball and went home

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yes I do. I'll go by what the guys in our locker room said about him over your opinion. He faced adversity and quit on the Packers.

15 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yes he faked the injury or yes he created his injury to cover up faking the injury?

If you really feel like it, read through what ex-packer players (who are more or less free to comment about the situation) have to say about team doc Pat McKenzie, playing through injuries and his cautious nature to injuries. Its pretty damning on Marty B's character, which is just another check mark in a long list of burning bridges throughout his career. Its pretty evident that he had somewhat of an injury, may or may not have gotten worse as the season went on. When Rodgers went down, he quit. Now that he has a QB again, his injury that he said needed season ending shoulder surgery suddenly isn't that big of a deal anymore. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Dr. Andrews said he could keep playing.  Three other doctors told him he needs to get it fixed.  He said he wanted surgery, Packers wanted him to play.  He goes to Patriots, practices, looks like he'll play. 

How are people defending Bennett?  He sucked with Rodgers because he was playing through an injury that he didn't disclose.  Rodgers gets hurt, he needs surgery.  He gets cut, goes to New England, doesn't need surgery. 

That's only one reading, another reading could be:

1. He injures his shoulder, plays through it because he's on a good team and wants to push for another ring.

2. After Rodgers goes down, he decides he doesn't want to tough out an injury for nothing but a slightly less-bad draft slot. Opts for surgery.

3. Packers say "you said you could play, so play, if you opt for surgery we'll cut you"

4. Bennett calls their bluff, says he wants surgery. They make good on their threat, cut him.

5. Bennett is claimed by the Pats - he had no way of knowing this would happen. Waivers is a crap shoot.

6. Finding himself back on a contender, Bennett decides to push through the injury and play.

That's just as believable, and doesn't involve Bennett lying about his injury for no reason or the Packers medical staff failing to notice an injury during a physical. If I had to guess, I would say the "undisclosed injury" might be cover for the Packers' GM having his bluff called.

Either that, or with Rodgers down for the year Thompson saw a chance to dump some cap for the future.

4 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

That's only one reading, another reading could be:

1. He injures his shoulder, plays through it because he's on a good team and wants to push for another ring.

2. After Rodgers goes down, he decides he doesn't want to tough out an injury for nothing but a slightly less-bad draft slot. Opts for surgery.

3. Packers say "you said you could play, so play, if you opt for surgery we'll cut you"

4. Bennett calls their bluff, says he wants surgery. They make good on their threat, cut him.

5. Bennett is claimed by the Pats - he had no way of knowing this would happen. Waivers is a crap shoot.

6. Finding himself back on a contender, Bennett decides to push through the injury and play.

That's just as believable, and doesn't involve Bennett lying about his injury for no reason or the Packers medical staff failing to notice an injury during a physical. If I had to guess, I would say the "undisclosed injury" might be cover for the Packers' GM having his bluff called.

Either that, or with Rodgers down for the year Thompson saw a chance to dump some cap for the future.

You added one completely made up bluff / threat by the Packers, that's what makes it not "as believable". Particularly when you have lots of former Packers players saying the Packers doctors operate just the opposite way:

25 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

To no surprise, countless of former Packers players and former Packers FO personnel are responding and echoing what is already known. Dr McKenzie and GB are probably one of the more overly cautious medical staffs in the league. Bennett's claim would be a huge departure from the actions we've seen/read in the past.

Jahri Evans even chimed in with similar thoughts.

25 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yes he faked the injury or yes he created his injury to cover up faking the injury?

Who knows when the injury came to be, he could've had it when he signed. Fact is he never missed practice, and he practiced today with the Patriots. I live ever day with a torn labrum that I decided against surgery on after I stopped playing football. He posted about retiring and then called it "crap" when his teammates asked him why the sudden decision. He was already ruled out of Sunday's game on Monday, despite practicing today in NE. Come on, the dude faked a story about retiring, presumably to get out of GB, when that didn't work he milked an injury he was already playing with, the team sent him to other docs for more opinions, probably because ours said he could play on it but he wasn't. He forced his way out of a team he played 5 games for because Aaron got hurt. If you support that, cool, I think he's a loser.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Who knows when the injury came to be, he could've had it when he signed. Fact is he never missed practice, and he practiced today with the Patriots. I live ever day with a torn labrum that I decided against surgery on after I stopped playing football. He posted about retiring and then called it "crap" when his teammates asked him why the sudden decision. He was already ruled out of Sunday's game on Monday, despite practicing today in NE. Come on, the dude faked a story about retiring, presumably to get out of GB, when that didn't work he milked an injury he was already playing with, the team sent him to other docs for more opinions, probably because ours said he could play on it but he wasn't. He forced his way out of a team he played 5 games for because Aaron got hurt. If you support that, cool, I think he's a loser.

I didn't say I support him. Simply pointing out the fact that you called him a turd for faking an injury when it has been revealed that he has indeed been suffering from an injury.

Just now, ChazStandard said:

That bottom line is that Bennett wouldn't play for the Packers, but will play for the Patriots, and he used an injury as an excuse.  I can't say I blame him for doing what he did, but I can blame him for the way he did it. 

Archived