Packers Release TE Marty B ... Claimed by Patriots ... Placed on IR

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

You can prove effort when someone refuses to practice or play. The Packers already declared Bennett out on Tuesday morning after MNF, when he was questionable. Meaning he had probably left the facility and wasn't going to rehab/practice.

Contract is a 2 way street, you have to fulfill an obligation as a player. Which means showing up to work, the easiest obligation ever and Bennett didn't do this, he doesn't deserve all his bonus.

Would this hurt GB's chances of signing future Free Agents though?

You're right in that contracts work both ways, but what if players see it as a risk signing there? Like if they get cut then GB is taking their money too.

Or is this a special situation that doesn't have such gloomy future implications?

9 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Would this hurt GB's chances of signing future Free Agents though?

You're right in that contracts work both ways, but what if players see it as a risk signing there? Like if they get cut then GB is taking their money too.

Or is this a special situation that doesn't have such gloomy future implications?

Doubtful. People know Bennett is a headcase and FA generally just go to whoever will pay them the most money. I think its wishful thinking if you think FA will even bother looking at this situation when signing. Green Bays always been extremely good to their FAs. 

13 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Doubtful. People know Bennett is a headcase and FA generally just go to whoever will pay them the most money. I think its wishful thinking if you think FA will even bother looking at this situation when signing. Green Bays always been extremely good to their FAs. 

They have. All 3 of them.

I for one am happy and thrilled for Bennett. Having braved through a season without his star QB and enduring a harsh injury that he self diagnosed that he would require surgery and to add insult to injury his sacrifice is repaid with an ungrateful franchise kicking him to the curb. To have a class franchise like the Patriots take a chance on him and give him an opportunity and to work his butt off to overcome that injury and score a TD against the No Fly Zone is truly remarkable. Is it too early to call him the definitive comeback player of the year? Truly inspiring. 

I think it's important to keep in mind that just because Bennett behaved like a dirtbag doesn't mean the Packers deserve to recoup money. The grievance is for failure to disclose physical condition. How this all went down looks kind of bad on both sides. Rodgers goes down, all of the sudden Bennett feels like he can't play through his injury? Shady. Bennett feels like he can't play through his injury, all of the sudden the Packers say he didn't disclose an injury? Also kind of shady.

Two things I think we can all agree on is that TT is an idiot for signing Bennett, while, at the same exact time, Belichick is a genius for signing Bennett!

9 hours ago, childofpudding said:

I think it's important to keep in mind that just because Bennett behaved like a dirtbag doesn't mean the Packers deserve to recoup money. The grievance is for failure to disclose physical condition. How this all went down looks kind of bad on both sides. Rodgers goes down, all of the sudden Bennett feels like he can't play through his injury? Shady. Bennett feels like he can't play through his injury, all of the sudden the Packers say he didn't disclose an injury? Also kind of shady.

Two things I think we can all agree on is that TT is an idiot for signing Bennett, while, at the same exact time, Belichick is a genius for signing Bennett!

I'm curious why you think Packers' management was shady here.  If Bennett's injury was as serious as he said it is why wasn't he on any injury report this season until after #12 got hurt and then he balked at playing thru it for us but now is willing to play for NE?

TT was an idiot for signing a guy who quit on the team because our All-Pro QB got hurt but Belichick is a genius for signing the same player who will now play thru his injury because NE has Brady?  If you lose Brady to injury along with other players and your team starts to lose I'd bet a lot of $$$ Bennett will quit on BB, opt for surgery and call it a career.  MB is looking out for #1, not the team signing his check or his teammates.

10 hours ago, childofpudding said:

No.

He failed to disclose an injury he couldn't play through. It's not shady at all to recoup money from a fraud.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

I'm curious why you think Packers' management was shady here.  If Bennett's injury was as serious as he said it is why wasn't he on any injury report this season until after #12 got hurt and then he balked at playing thru it for us but now is willing to play for NE?

TT was an idiot for signing a guy who quit on the team because our All-Pro QB got hurt but Belichick is a genius for signing the same player who will now play thru his injury because NE has Brady?  If you lose Brady to injury along with other players and your team starts to lose I'd bet a lot of $$$ Bennett will quit on BB, opt for surgery and call it a career.  MB is looking out for #1, not the team signing his check or his teammates.

First part: I'm saying the timing by the organization is shady in the same way that the timing around Bennett refusing to play is shady. All of the sudden, because Bennett refuses to play, that means he didn't disclose an injury? I think that both the Packers and Bennett knew about Bennett's shoulder issue all along, but Bennett was willing to play through it. The Packers then got (rightfully) angry that Bennett bailed on playing through it once Rodgers went down. They have a right to be mad, but I'm not sure they have a right to recoup any money. Just the designation - failure to disclose physical condition - I don't really see that here. Seems like both parties knew about the injury, and now the Packers are angry that Bennett changed his mind about playing through the injury once Rodgers went down.

Second part I was just joking around.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

No.

He failed to disclose an injury he couldn't play through. It's not shady at all to recoup money from a fraud.

Packers obviously cleared him, they knew about that injury they're just playing it up to get their money back.

16 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Packers obviously cleared him, they knew about that injury they're just playing it up to get their money back.

Even if they cleared him, he decided to not play. Then he goes to the Patriots and they cleared him, and he's playing. Why shouldn't the Packers get the money back? Let the Patriots pay him lol

54 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Even if they cleared him, he decided to not play. Then he goes to the Patriots and they cleared him, and he's playing. Why shouldn't the Packers get the money back? Let the Patriots pay him lol

Just playing devil's advocate - because the Packers paid Bennett the guaranteed signing bonus. There's a certain risk in signing any player, and the financial risk tends to go up in accordance with the potential reward. Just because Bennett decided to be a d*** doesn't mean he failed to disclose an injury and/or the Packers should get the signing bonus back. It sucks, though. I can see why the Packers and Packers fans would be pissed.

5 minutes ago, childofpudding said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

Just playing devil's advocate - because the Packers paid Bennett the guaranteed signing bonus. There's a certain risk in signing any player, and the financial risk tends to go up in accordance with the potential reward. Just because Bennett decided to be a d*** doesn't mean he failed to disclose an injury and/or the Packers should get the signing bonus back. It sucks, though. I can see why the Packers and Packers fans would be pissed.

I need a better understanding of what the terms of the signing bonus are and what recourse we have, rather than just fans posting on a board.

Archived