All Young People Mock

Meneldor

2022-nfl-draft.png

Day One:

TRADE: The Packers trade Jordan Love and pick 2(53) to the Philadelphia Eagles for pick 1(15).

1(15): Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama

Jameson-Williams-Biletnikoff.jpg

6'2" - 189 lbs - 21.0 years old

+ Fast and smooth, great production at Alabama

- Tore ACL, could start season on PUP

I think he'd be a top 10 pick easily if he wasn't hurt. If he falls into the mid-teens I'd like to trade up for him. I don't actually want to trade Love, but it sure makes a mock draft more fun.

TRADE: The Packers trade pick 1(22), 3(92), and 5(171) to the New York Jets for picks 2(35) and 2(38).

1(28): Daxton Hill, DB, Michigan

iowa-5426.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

6'0" - 192 lbs - 4.38 - 9.06 RAS - 21.5 years old

+ Fills two needs at slot CB and 3rd S

- Could improve at taking on blocks

Not a huge need, as our secondary is a major strength right now. But I really like the versatility he offers as a slot CB/S. 

Day Two:

2(35): George Pickens, WR, Georgia

64c32667-7c65-442b-8818-0bb300b110fb-USA

6'3" - 200 lbs - 4.47 - 9.37 RAS - 21.1 years old

+ really good hands

- missed a lot of time due to injury

I'd take him at 28. He might be my second favorite WR in the draft after Williams. 

TRADE: The Packers trade pick 2(38) and 7(228) to the Seattle Seahawks for picks 2(41), 4(109), and 5(135)

2(41): Drake Jackson, Edge, USC

1171437138.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

6'4" - 250 lbs - 8.59 RAS - 21.0 years old

+ Good athlete, can bend

- Needs to get bigger and stronger

I struggled with which edge rusher to go with here. Cameron Thomas was more in line with our current edge size, but I like the idea of adding a smaller, twitchy guy to the edge room. I think there might be some value in having multiple rush styles represented there, like using a reliever with slow, controlled off-speed pitches before bringing in the closer with the 100 MPH fastball. Bonitto would take this idea to the extreme, but I didn't go for it here. Curious to hear others thoughts on this.

2(59): Perrion Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma

USATSI_15380605.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

6'4" - 292 lbs - 4.89 - 21.6 years old

+ good interior pass rush

- late off the ball, lateral movement

This is the type of player currently missing from the DL room. Might not last this long in the draft though. Got lucky here. 

Day Three:

4(109): Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State

b5464d6f-805b-40a0-bce3-ad3f751e8c34-lar

6'5" - 250 lbs - 21.6 years old

+ Pretty athletic, tough blocker

- YAC ability, inconsistency

Not super flashy, but he's the youngest of the mid-round TEs. I think there's a good chance Tonyan is too expensive for us next year, so I think this is a need for 2023.

4(132): Matt Waletzko, T, North Dakota

AP21229657332091-1024x683.jpg

6'7" - 305 lbs - 5.06 - 9.95 RAS - 22.3 years old

+ Long arms

- Lack of competition, pad level

Really good athlete, but needs a lot of polishing. 

4(140): Kyren Williams, RB, Notre Dame

kyren-williams-notre-dame-nfl-2.jpg

5'9" - 199 lbs - 4.65 - 3.46 RAS - 21.6 years old

+ Pass catching, pass blocking, highly productive

- Tested very poorly

Pretty much the opposite of everyone drafted so far in terms of athleticism. Did not do well at the combine. But I still think he could be a good 3rd down back, and if he tested better he probably wouldn't be available here. Also could be a need for 2023, depending on Aaron Jones' contract situation.

5(135): Jack Sanborn, LB, Wisconsin

190921FB_2158_57.jpg

6'2" - 236 lbs - 4.73 - 7.35 RAS - 21.7 years old

+ Pretty good at blitzing

- Subpar length and athleticism

Depth/ST guy

7(249): Kenderick Duncan, S, Louisville

1236405210.jpg

6'3" - 225 - ? years old

+ Has played in the box, deep, and a bit in the slot

- Needs to improve as a tackler

Depth/ST guy. Good size. Couldn't figure out his age.

7(258): Nick Ford, C/G, Utah 

Offense_NIU_9_8_18_27_.jpg

6'5" - 320 lbs - 5.52 - 5.35 RAS - 22.6 years old

+ Has experience playing multiple positions

- Limited athlete

Like the versatility.

Overall thoughts: Though this was a bit of an exercise just to see what could happen if age was taken as a primary factor in the picks, I would be thrilled with this outcome. The only picks I didn't really like and felt forced into by the self-imposed rules were Matt Waletzko (would have taken Zack Tom instead) and Jack Sanborn. I also might have gone with Jelani Woods over Jeremy Ruckert. Maybe. But the rest are some of my favorites. I used the pff mock draft site for this, to give it some façade of realism, but I know the trades (and some of the picks) are a bit optimistic. Sign some QB like Josh Rosen to replace Love. And probably another lineman, like Dennis Kelly, at least until Jenkins is back. 

Roster:

QB: Rodgers, Rosen, Benkert

HB: Jones, Dillon, K. Williams

FB: Deguara

TE: Tonyan, Lewis, Ruckert

WR: Lazard, J. Williams, Pickens, Watkins

Slot: Cobb, Rodgers

LT: Bahktiari, Nijman

LG: Runyan, Van Lanen

C : Meyers, Hanson

RG: Newman, Ford

RT: Jenkins, Waletzko

DE: Lowry, Winfrey, Reed

NT: Clark, Slaton

OLB: Gary, Jackson

ILB: Campbell, Summers

ILB: Barnes, Sanborn

OLB: Smith, Garvin, Galeai

CB: Alexander, Douglas, Nixon

CB: Stokes, Hill*, Jean-Charles

S: Savage, Hill*, Scott

S: Amos, Duncan

K: Crosby

P: O'Donnel

LS: Wirtel

• Like 1

Great for the Packers in this scenario. Lots of my favorites. Some notes:

As mentioned, a bit optimistic on a return for Love. Also, teams are said to be preparing as if Williams is going in the top ten. Atlanta makes a lot of sense for him. 

Drake Jackson isn't small anymore. Weighed in at - correct if wrong anyone - 273 at his pro day. He might see himself pushing for an early second rounder or even a late first at this point. 

Also probably optimistic for a few other players based on draft slot.  Winfrey could be a pick for us at 28, for example. But man, if he, Dax, Ruckert, and Pickens are all available where you have them going I'd be doing backflips.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Meneldor said:

TRADE: The Packers trade pick 1(22), 3(92), and 5(171) to the New York Jets for picks 2(35) and 2(38).

That's a pipe dream trade.  The Packers would still need to add roughly an early 3rd in value, so unless there's a future SRP or something going this isn't going to get it done.  If you want both SRPs of the Jets, it's probably going to take 28, 53, and 132 and even then that seems unlikely.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Meneldor said:

2022-nfl-draft.png

Good first post. I didn't mean to be snarky with the laughing emoji. I just don't think Love has nearly the value for the trade. I don't think Love and the 28th pick is enough value for the trade. Love and the 22nd pick may work if Philadelphia was interested, but I don't know why they would?!?

I don't know about the picks, I don't follow the draft until draft day. As a CFB fan I know some of the names which seems solid.

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

Good first post. I didn't mean to be snarky with the laughing emoji. I just don't think Love has nearly the value for the trade. I don't think Love and the 28th pick is enough value for the trade. Love and the 22nd pick may work if Philadelphia was interested, but I don't know why they would?!?

I don't know about the picks, I don't follow the draft until draft day. As a CFB fan I know some of the names which seems solid.

No worries! My trade would mean that Love was valued about as much as the 27th pick, right around where he was drafted. I'm guessing the Packers wouldn't trade him for less than that. With Rodgers maybe retiring in a year, I'm not sure I'd trade him for less than that either. I also don't think many teams would be willing to give that up. With how much of an unknown Love is to every other team, I really don't see a trade making sense for either party. But it helped me have fun with the draft, even if it is very unlikely to happen. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's a pipe dream trade.  The Packers would still need to add roughly an early 3rd in value, so unless there's a future SRP or something going this isn't going to get it done.  If you want both SRPs of the Jets, it's probably going to take 28, 53, and 132 and even then that seems unlikely.

Going by the Jimmy Johnson chart we're coming out ahead by a late 3rd, and by the Rich Hill chart by a mid 4th. Still a very fair critique. This was much more so a "things I wish would happen" than a "things I think could happen" mock.

8 minutes ago, Meneldor said:

Going by the Jimmy Johnson chart we're coming out ahead by a late 3rd, and by the Rich Hill chart by a mid 4th. Still a very fair critique. This was much more so a "things I wish would happen" than a "things I think could happen" mock.

I don't disagree that it's something we'd like to happen.  But I also think you need to look at it with some form of realism.  If you were the Jets' GM, who would you need to see on the board to even consider moving those two SRPs?  I think you're more likely to see a 28/92 for 35/69 swap then any variation of that Jets/Packers trade.  Especially when there is no draft history between the two teams.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't disagree that it's something we'd like to happen.  But I also think you need to look at it with some form of realism.  If you were the Jets' GM, who would you need to see on the board to even consider moving those two SRPs?  I think you're more likely to see a 28/92 for 35/69 swap then any variation of that Jets/Packers trade.  Especially when there is no draft history between the two teams.

With 4 & 10 I see the Jets for sure taking an edge, and either Hamilton or whichever WR they like best. So yeah, there's not many prospects that seem like a realistic target for trade up to 22. Maybe if Jordan Davis falls I could see the Jets considering it. 

• Like 1