Browns extend CB Denzel Ward (5 years, $100.5M, $71.25M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, nugpimpen said:

Could not possibly care less. 

Well, depends on if it irritates them enough not to do business with us.

Also, there is a reason (cap, player regression) that teams don't like guaranteeing that much money. As long as you are confident that the player lives up to the contract and can stay healthy there shouldn't be an issue but teams like to protect themselves in the event that it does happen, so I get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I wonder how much every other front office in the NFL hates Andrew Berry right now between the GTD money with Ward/Watson lol

Hopefully not enough that all 31 of them stand together in 

Season 7 Episode 10 GIF by Portlandia

and make us carry an $18 million dollar QB that doesn't dress on game day.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well, depends on if it irritates them enough not to do business with us.

Also, there is a reason (cap, player regression) that teams don't like guaranteeing that much money. As long as you are confident that the player lives up to the contract and can stay healthy there shouldn't be an issue but teams like to protect themselves in the event that it does happen, so I get it.

I'm not concerned about the league banding together to not do business with us. You know who probably does like how we are structuring contracts? Players and future free agents.

9 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

I'm not concerned about the league banding together to not do business with us. You know who probably does like how we are structuring contracts? Players and future free agents.

Of course they do. The problem would be if Watson hurts his arm and it turns into Chad Pennington's arm and you have to dedicate 55 million per year to your backup QB. What if Ward misses on average 9 games per year the next 3 years and you want to move on? You can't. 

Sorry free agents, we would love to sign you but we have 75 million wrapped up in players who don't see the field.

Obviously that's worst case (for the most part) scenario but that's what teams try to protect themselves from. I understand doing what you have to do to get a player to sign but I also understand wanting to give yourself a chance at a backup plan if it doesn't work.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Is Clowney now officially off the table? We cant possibly have the cap room to resign him to anything more than a incentive based 1 year deal can we

I suspect that was always the plan.

I'm guessing Ward is cheap in year one so we could do a 2 year deal with Clowney if we rework some salaries for next year.

2024 is going to be interesting with the cap. We have 7 guys that currently would count for about 170 million against the cap.

22 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Is Clowney now officially off the table? We cant possibly have the cap room to resign him to anything more than a incentive based 1 year deal can we

You might be right. Whatever money we have left should go to Will Fuller.

26 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I suspect that was always the plan.

I'm guessing Ward is cheap in year one so we could do a 2 year deal with Clowney if we rework some salaries for next year.

2024 is going to be interesting with the cap. We have 7 guys that currently would count for about 170 million against the cap.

Yeah and I noticed we signed Weatherly. Which shouldn't go under the radar. He was with KS in MINN and flashed at times last year in DEN. At worst he is a good rotational DE who can make some plays.

I could early see them spending their 2nd/3rd on a DE and having whoever that is rotate with Weatherly

Edited by AkronsWitness

37 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah and I noticed we signed Weatherly. Which shouldn't go under the radar. He was with KS in MINN and flashed at times last year in DEN. At worst he is a good rotational DE who can make some plays.

I could early see them spending their 2nd/3rd on a DE and having whoever that is rotate with Weatherly

We also have Winovich as a rotational guy.

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Forgot about him, yeah it looks like the browns will have some good depth/injury protection

They aren't Clowney in any way but I think we need more work on our IDL than edge. If we give up 5.5 yards per carry that will nullify our investments in our secondary.

• Like 1