Jacksonville Still Hasn't Set Their Draft Board-Does This Help or Hurt Detroit?

Just Want A Title

I was kind of shocked to see a quote from the Jags owner about firming up their draft board on Wednesday.  That sounds like they are really figuring things out on-the fly.  Do you think this helps or hurts Detroit in Rounds 1-3?  Thoughts?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/25/shad-khan-well-have-to-really-firm-up-the-draft-board-wednesday/

I am guessing they have a strong feeling about pick 1.  I am guessing he is leading towards the rest of the draft.  I am not sure this impacts us at all as we don't know anyone's draft board.  I am assuming we are still slotting guys in and scouts making arguments for their guys still as well. 

I don't think it affects us that much either.  I Think the Lions will select Thibodeux (Which I hope they do) even is Hutchinson is there.  I think this draft is going to come full circle in the end and the first pick comes down to one of the OTs or they take Walker.  If the Trent Baulke buzz is true then they are deciding between Ekwonu or Walker, and I don't think we are interested in either.

40 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I don't think it affects us that much either.  I Think the Lions will select Thibodeux (Which I hope they do) even is Hutchinson is there.  I think this draft is going to come full circle in the end and the first pick comes down to one of the OTs or they take Walker.  If the Trent Baulke buzz is true then they are deciding between Ekwonu or Walker, and I don't think we are interested in either.

I want to like Thibodeaux but these questions about his motor definitely give me pause at #2 and his "long day" departure from the combine didn't really help make those questions go away.  Balance that against a quote from Walter Footall on Travon Walker.  "Relentless"=Dan Campbell culture fit.

Here are the thoughts of an area scout on Walker, "He is one of my favorites. He's completely untapped, and he can play anywhere on the defensive line in any scheme. He's my favorite of this defensive line class. He's already a very good player, relentless, and still has huge upside. Walker can drop 10 pounds and be Cam Jordan, or gain 15 pounds and play DeForest Buckner."

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I want to like Thibodeaux but these questions about his motor definitely give me pause at #2 and his "long day" departure from the combine didn't really help make those questions go away.  Balance that against a quote from Walter Footall on Travon Walker.  "Relentless"=Dan Campbell culture fit.

Here are the thoughts of an area scout on Walker, "He is one of my favorites. He's completely untapped, and he can play anywhere on the defensive line in any scheme. He's my favorite of this defensive line class. He's already a very good player, relentless, and still has huge upside. Walker can drop 10 pounds and be Cam Jordan, or gain 15 pounds and play DeForest Buckner."

If the Lions draft Walker what is the plan for him?  What would you like for him to be?  Is he an inside outside player?  If he is what does that mean for Alim and Levi?  And does that versatility come at the cost of an elite edge rusher?

Sorry to throw all those questions at you, I have those questions myself and I guess for me I just want a guy that's so good at edge that I rarely need to move him.  That he CAN win inside but not that that is his best spot as a pass rusher.  For me Walker seems to be best at stunts and twists and when he lines up inside.  I don't see a natural edge rusher even though his numbers are crazy.  I do think he's awesome against the run but he strikes me as a RE that can kick inside and I just don't know if that's worth the number 2 pick.  

• Like 2

I think what we would be getting, hopefully, is a more athletic version of Cameron Jordan.  He is one of the most under-rated players in the NFL right now with 6 seasons with over 10-sacks.  He moves like a LB but weighs a legit 270Lbs.  I saw a quote the other day that his LB drill performance was just about on-par with Nakobe Dean.  

So, I think your question is the answer.  Yes, he is perfectly capable of being a dominant edge-player.  However, his combination of movement skills and strength will let him disrupt defenses in very unpredictable ways.  He might give a lot of RTs problems from day 1.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 1

I think Khan is blowing smoke. 

Draft boards are set. The only movement would be if new information is revealed.

At this point they’re looking at how the draft may unfold and strategizing where and with whom they may be able to move around to target players.

I suspect he throws out four possibilities to create confusion. They know exactly whose name is on their card. I suspect they have the jersey ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Millenhater said:

If the Lions draft Walker what is the plan for him?  What would you like for him to be?  Is he an inside outside player?  If he is what does that mean for Alim and Levi?  And does that versatility come at the cost of an elite edge rusher?

Sorry to throw all those questions at you, I have those questions myself and I guess for me I just want a guy that's so good at edge that I rarely need to move him.  That he CAN win inside but not that that is his best spot as a pass rusher.  For me Walker seems to be best at stunts and twists and when he lines up inside.  I don't see a natural edge rusher even though his numbers are crazy.  I do think he's awesome against the run but he strikes me as a RE that can kick inside and I just don't know if that's worth the number 2 pick.  

I expect the plan would be to increase versatility on the d line. A team can never have to many quality linemen imho. It doesn’t mean anything to Levi or Alim. Keeping the line fresh and having the ability to rotate players without losing proficiency is really important. 

I believe if they draft Walker it’s because they see an elite player at multiple positions. 

Myself I want a very good line with the ability to make the opposition one dimensional. 

On an interesting note. Vegas sports books had Hutch as the favourite to be taken first until last night. A great deal of money was placed on Walker who is now the favourite to be selected by the Jags.

Edited by diehardlionfan
Addition
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I think Khan is blowing smoke. 

Draft boards are set. The only movement would be if new information is revealed.

At this point they’re looking at how the draft may unfold and strategizing where and with whom they may be able to move around to target players.

I suspect he throws out four possibilities to create confusion. They know exactly whose name is on their card. I suspect they have the jersey ready.

The rumour from listening to Move The Sticks is that Doug Pederson wants Ekwonu and Baalke wants Walker. 

8 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Look, as long as we end up with Hutch or Thibs at #2, I'm good. Those are the top two guys in this draft. Have been all along. If Lions can move back, my list obviously expands. I just don't want to reach for players.

100%.  When the Lions turn in that card and it's either of these two I'm going to be pumped that we didn't mess it up.  I think both are good and you can convince me that both are the correct pick.

• Like 2