2022 Draft - Day 1 (MIN trades #12->#32)

Heimdallr

Just now, Heimdallr said:

Not sure about a full A+, but otherwise can't really argue

Honestly for me A+ was a "could not have done anything better" and i can't think of a single thing they did wrong. Got the best player in the draft at #2. Fleeced a crappy GM on a trade and drafted the highest ceiling WR in the draft. Still have a mid second round pick. Thats A++++++++++++++++++++

• Like 1

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

I don't get why they needed to

Yup. That logic cornered them into taking whatever the best deal would have been. It could have been even worse and they would've taken it (theoretically; at some point the value would've been too low).

11 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Kwesi said they knew pretty early on that with how things were shaking out they needed to trade down. So it sounds like they traded down at any cost, not because they felt the Lions offered a deal they couldn't pass up.

Seems like they had a plan to trade down and we’re going to rigidly stick to that plan.  

4 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Sorry. Not how you built a winning team.  

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying that's not how you build a winning team?  I believe it when they tell me that, in this defense, the safeties are more important than the CBs.  I'm not that big on the CBs left available, and with both Stingley and Gardner gone, I really had no interest in any of the CBs after that in the 1st round.  IMO, all along, safety was going to be the pick in the 2nd round, as it was virtually every mock sim I did...so the fact that they got one at the end of the first isn't shocking to me, because that's where their value was.   I've always thought that safety was a primary need.

As I'm typing this, I also find it quite odd that people here have always complained about the Vikings not preparing for a player to depart in a year or 2 and just waiting for them to fall off the cliff...but that is exactly what they are doing right now in drafting this player, preparing for Harrison Smith's departure within the next year or 2.

Just now, Snake Plissken said:

Seems like they had a plan to trade down and we’re going to rigidly stick to that plan.  

Complete failure in being rigid in your thinking but that is the vibe I got too. Doesn't matter if you get horrible value, just take the trade because you are set in trading down and obviously teams knew that so they took advantage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, golf333333 said:

Complete failure in being rigid in your thinking but that is the vibe I got too. Doesn't matter if you get horrible value, just take the trade because you are set in trading down and obviously teams knew that so they took advantage.

I definitely agree that Kwesi coming out and saying they traded down just because they wanted to trade down (not because they got a good offer) was poor management. Even if that was the case, you don't say that publicly. 

3 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

And I can respect that.  As we've seen with the Wyatt Davis pick and some others, when they've deviated from their plan based on who was available, it has the tendency to blow up in their face.   That's likely how they ended up with 15 picks that one year.   

I'm in favor of drafting Cine.   He was a leader on a national championship team.  He checks the physical boxes.   It was about where he was projected.  

Now, the fact the Vikes have the 2nd pick tomorrow is cool.   But, will it be worth it?   

If they pick one of the metrics-oriented small school CB, then we shouldn't be surprised.  

If they pick a Watson or another WR, ok . . . But Lord help me if they pick Willis.   

2 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'm in favor of drafting Cine.   He was a leader on a national championship team.  He checks the physical boxes.   It was about where he was projected.  

Now, the fact the Vikes have the 2nd pick tomorrow is cool.   But, will it be worth it?   

If they pick one of the metrics-oriented small school CB, then we shouldn't be surprised.  

If they pick a Watson or another WR, ok . . . But Lord help me if they pick Willis.   

The only GM who lacks enough awareness to draft a QB at 32 instead of 34 is ours, but I don't think that even Kwesi is that dumb to not take the high value position guy for the 5th year in round 1.

5 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I definitely agree that Kwesi coming out and saying they traded down just because they wanted to trade down (not because they got a good offer) was poor management. Even if that was the case, you don't say that publicly. 

I don't think it's that big of a deal to speak about it publicly after the fact.  It's not like everyone knew their plan before-hand, nor do they even know it now as to how it will proceed the rest of the way.