Where and when does Malik Willis go?

Mox

1 minute ago, SaveOurSonics said:

So we're banking on Malik Willis being Tom Brady? Or what point are we trying to make? 

You used a logic fail anecdote as proof and I countered with an opposite example. Its not rocket surgery.

2001 had 1 QB in round 1 (Vick) the 2nd round guy, Drew Brees, how did he do?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

You used a logic fail anecdote as proof and I countered with an opposite example. Its not rocket surgery.

2001 had 1 QB in round 1 (Vick) the 2nd round guy, Drew Brees, how did he do?

Was simply meant to serve as a side note to my previous post, which you didn't care to respond to. Poor QB classes routinely have QB prospects overrated by the mass media due to the belief that there must be QBs drafted highly to meet demand.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Was simply meant to serve as a side note to my previous post, which you didn't care to respond to. Poor QB classes routinely have QB prospects overrated by the mass media due to the belief that there must be QBs drafted highly to meet demand.

It’s still a generalization relying on correlation at best.

28 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Your hot take has been noted. Its also been proven by examples to be meaningless.

2002 had 3 first round QBs. Garrard and McCown were the 'best' of a garbage pile. Wow, those GMs sure know their stuff when they draft multiple QBs in round 1.

2003 had 4. Carson Palmer was good at #1 and the rest pretty much sucked including Sexy Rexy and Kyle Boller. Leftwich was 24-20 with Jax, so good!

2004 was an amazing QB year like 1983. Eli and Ben won multiple SBs and Rivers was HoVG.

2005 had a #1 overall Qb who was terrible for 4 years and then had a very good career. Every team in the league could care less about Rodgers until GB at 24 but he did go in round 1. Jason Campbell went to DC with the next pick.  The 2 best QBs were round 1 and the next 2 best were round 7 (Fitz and Cassel)

2006 was Vince Young, and Matt Lienart in the top 10 followed by flashes of star play Cutler.  The 2nd round guys were Tavaris and Clemens.

2007 was a real bumper crop. JaMarcus #1 and Brady Quinn in round 1 (more than 1 theory represent!) R2 was Kolb, Stanton, and Beck

If you haven't noticed yet, your theory is getting destroyed here.

The only people who know less about when to draft QBs than NFL GMs are apparently hot take guys on message boards.

Edited by SkippyX

18 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Your hot take has been noted. Its also been proven by examples to be meaningless.

It feels like you've really hitched your wagon to my side note "theory" to deflect from the premise of what got us here 😂

Again, that comment was simply a side note. I had looked up the last time we had a single QB selected in the 1st round and found it interesting how that class shook out. I have no "theory" behind it as you appear to believe. I'm fine chalking it up as poor anecdotal evidence to keep us pushing forward. I hadn't anticipated it derailing our conversation like this lol. I'll be honest, I didn't read most of that post as I can assume your point from skimming it, it's just not even the point I was trying to make. I even noted in my original comment that "I wouldn't say they suck" so you posted a lot of words in an effort to prove something I don't believe. 

If you actually want to discuss my thoughts, they were all in the post used in direct response to yours quoted below. 

On 5/1/2022 at 8:01 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

Okay. Several very QB needy teams passed on him several times over. Seattle -- perhaps the most QB needy team in the league -- passed on Malik 3 times over on Friday. The Panthers, as you note, are similarly starved for a QB, and they traded up for Corral, not Malik. Heck, he wasn't even the 2nd QB taken. 

I wouldn't say they suck (time will tell on that), but I would say they were all either very low ceiling or very low floor prospects. Malik has a long way to go with technique and acumen to be a legitimate starting option in the NFL. I compare him to Tyler Huntley, who I'd consider an upper echelon backup. 

Oh and let's play nice this time! The message board hot take guy doesn't wanna get destroyed by SkippyX 😉 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

18 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The only people who know less about when to draft QBs than NFL GMs are apparently hot take guys on message boards.

😂. I suppose we could all take advice from you. I don't spend as much time on here as I used to so I don't know the context here, but I have to guess you've been beating the drum for Malik Willis as a 1st rounder all offseason only to find out he's a 3rd rounder? And now you're defecating on anyone who disagrees?  

It's alright to have a difference of opinion here bud. You could ultimately be proven right if Malik becomes a franchise QB. I remember being similarly boisterous about Russell Wilson & Dak Prescott being 1st round caliber prospects. I simply don't have the confidence in Malik's abilities immediately translating as I was with Russ & Dak, which is why I had Malik with a 3rd round grade. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Malik Willis was more of a first round talent in the blind media eyes. His ability to play QB was on a Day 3 level. He got drafted in round 3 bc of his physical upside but has poor pocket presence and a lack of vision to see the field. 

Some think he can beat out Tannehill. That is far out of reach this year unless he's injured or the season is lost. He might wow in preseason bc of his legs and lack of defensive schemes since he'll see 3rd/4th team defenses from a 90 man roster that won't gameplan - but the kid is a few years away from live regular season action, if he ever develops into a starter. 

And him developing is more on his shoulders, not Tannehills. 

On 6/11/2022 at 12:31 PM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Malik Willis was more of a first round talent in the blind media eyes. His ability to play QB was on a Day 3 level. He got drafted in round 3 bc of his physical upside but has poor pocket presence and a lack of vision to see the field. 

Some think he can beat out Tannehill. That is far out of reach this year unless he's injured or the season is lost. He might wow in preseason bc of his legs and lack of defensive schemes since he'll see 3rd/4th team defenses from a 90 man roster that won't gameplan - but the kid is a few years away from live regular season action, if he ever develops into a starter. 

And him developing is more on his shoulders, not Tannehills. 

Willis has first round tools but reports from the pre-draft process were that teams realized he was pretty far away in terms of the mental aspects of playing the position to start early on in his career. 

Meh I don't really think it will be a competition. 

On 6/16/2022 at 2:41 AM, NYRaider said:

Meh I don't really think it will be a competition. 

It won't be.  He's not at all ready to play.  Willis is all about 2023 and beyond.

On 6/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, THE DUKE said:

I bought into the pre-draft hype on his tools, but my initial thoughts of him as a day 2 guy were right.

I had him as a first, but that was because that seemed to be where traits guys were valued based on the Trey Lance and Jordan Love picks.  Lance obviously gets a little more love because he actually played well as a QB, though it was at a low level.  But I legit had Willis as a better prospect than Jordan Love.  And if Love can be taken in the first, why not Willis?

Though I guess with how those guys have panned out so far, traits only is less valuable now.