Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

21 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

You’re telling me they had this unguardable freak at WR and instead of going for easy completions they ran the ball over and over. OK buddy, whatever you say.

I’m betting Christian Watson will never be a consistent #1 WR. That’s fine if you disagree. 

I didn't say he was an unguarded freak.

I don't think he'll be a "consistent #1" either. I just don't think there's anyway to know just yet how limited his route running depth could end up. And college stats sure don't matter and I showed you why.

NDSU really didn't help him out. Maybe it was on him too. Maybe he's not that good yet, that makes sense. It's projection with him. But you're looking only at what he's been asked to do and saying that's all he can ever do. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Something something about someone not recognizing a troll.

@Norm did I get that right?

Well you guys were doing a ******* terrible job of putting him in his place. Someone had to step up.

• Like 1

Bringing up Watsons limitations is not trolling. 

Thinking a 2nd round WR is not a future #1 WR is not trolling, especially when 50% of 2nd round players bust. 

Im saying Watson can do some things but I’m also betting that he’ll never be a complete player and will never be a #1 WR. 

7 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Thinking a 2nd round WR is not a future #1 WR is not trolling, especially when 50% of 2nd round players bust. 

Im saying Watson can do some things but I’m also betting that he’ll never be a complete player and will never be a #1 WR. 

100% of Packers 2nd rounders hit, RG. I’ll bet you this guy ends better than Jahan Dotson

7 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

What you're doing now is fine, it's not what you've done overall.

The main point is we don't really know exactly if his limitations are there or was it his environment that was a big part of it. You're convinced he just couldn't do any of the other stuff, maybe he couldn't, so that means he never good.

Guys do stuff in the pros they didn't do in college all the time. People improve. But you're dead set that it's all he'll be able to do

48 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

You’re telling me they had this unguardable freak at WR and instead of going for easy completions they ran the ball over and over. OK buddy, whatever you say.

I’m betting Christian Watson will never be a consistent #1 WR. That’s fine if you disagree. 

pr132836img3.jpg

They should really change their playbook, clearly not working.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

100% of Packers 2nd rounders hit, RG. I’ll bet you this guy ends better than Jahan Dotson

I really liked Dotson. He was the guy I wanted at the end of round 1 or trading up in round 2. I post at another site and everyone wanted Pierce, Pickens and Watson. I wanted Dotson. 

Dotson ran a 1.85 flying 20 compared to Watsons 1.91. Dotson showed better top speed. He also showed the ability in college to take the top off. 

So I think both players are deep threats. 

Dotson also got open a lot on in breaking and out breaking routes. He creates separation on his routes. So I think he can get a lot of balls by getting open that way. 

I liked Dotson a little more and still do. I think he gets open in more ways. But I like Watson too. Watson blocks. 

Watson is MVS deep threat with a few more aspects to his game.

Dotson is kind of like Desean Jackson. 

3 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

I really liked Dotson. He was the guy I wanted at the end of round 1 or trading up in round 2. I post at another site and everyone wanted Pierce, Pickens and Watson. I wanted Dotson. 

Dotson ran a 1.85 flying 20 compared to Watsons 1.91. Dotson showed better top speed. He also showed the ability in college to take the top off. 

So I think both players are deep threats. 

Dotson also got open a lot on in breaking and out breaking routes. He creates separation on his routes. So I think he can get a lot of balls by getting open that way. 

I liked Dotson a little more and still do. I think he gets open in more ways. But I like Watson too. Watson blocks. 

Watson is MVS deep threat with a few more aspects to his game.

Dotson is kind of like Desean Jackson. 

Why do we want guys who are fast but not explosive? You know what percentage of routes run in the pros you actually hit top speed on? Not many. Give me the guy who smokes guys 10 and 20 yards off the ball. 

Watson's flaws are sitting on a platter for you, concentration drops and raw route runner. Just use those. Anything to do with speed numbers or blaming him because a perennial championship program likes to run the ball and didn't change their offense for a single player, just makes you sound like you've got an agenda.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

How are fans of the team that drafted Rashan Gary unaware of "sometimes projectable traits are much more important than production"?

You might be right. Gary showed some things at Michigan, but being a 10 sack guy, he didn’t show that. Gary was stout though. He wasn’t all traits with no game. He had game. 

But so does Watson. 

Maybe he’s a grinder like Gary and wills himself into a complete player. I sure hope so. 

Someone said something about “didn’t do” and “cant do.” Maybe you’re right, but he has a high center of gravity to overcome when it comes to breaks and separation. And he’s not a big body that boxes out. I truly don’t think he can be elite as a route runner but he can become serviceable in his weak spots. And obviously his bright spots are really bright. So maybe he can be a #1. He just has a lot to overcome. I see him as a #2 and a legit deep threat. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why do we want guys who are fast but not explosive? You know what percentage of routes run in the pros you actually hit top speed on? Not many. Give me the guy who smokes guys 10 and 20 yards off the ball. 

Watson's flaws are sitting on a platter for you, concentration drops and raw route runner. Just use those. Anything to do with speed numbers or blaming him because a perennial championship program likes to run the ball and didn't change their offense for a single player, just makes you sound like you've got an agenda.

Calling him a “raw” route runner and not a “limited” route runner is where I disagree. I don’t think he shows a lot of upside at creating separation on breaks. I don’t think it’s raw, I think it’s a high center of gravity and a physical limitation.