2022 Early Draft Grade

Purplepride323

2022 Draft Grade  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial draft grade for the Vikings 2022 class?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Considering how many points they gave up in the final 2 minutes of each half, they weren't that far from a 11-6 season last year.  Of course, if that had happened, Zimmer and Spielman would still be here.  

Plus, if you target a QB you want, you're always in a position to get him.  You don't have to be a bottom-feeder to do so.    You just have to be willing to pay the price...like the Chiefs did.  

KC gave up a lot to get their guy. A guy I was sure was a bust. It worked out.

I don't believe the Lions will have to move up much to get their guy. Everyone knows their roster is bad, but they are playing the long game to perfection imo.

13 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

To be perfectly honest, I am not worried about the Lions until they show a reason for other NFC north teams to be worried. Did they have a nice draft? Yes. But until they get a QB, it's not something I'm losing sleep over.

Lions are playing chess

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

In fact, Kendricks' number goes down in 2023, so what would be the point

Because if he continues his drop in his play, he'll be 31 that season with a 11.4m cap hit, and you can save 9.5m by cutting him and just playing Asamoah; who profiles as essentially the next eric kendricks; and other modern day LBs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Because if he continues his drop in his play, he'll be 31 that season with a 11.4m cap hit, and you can save 9.5m by cutting him and just playing Asamoah; who profiles as essentially the next eric kendricks; and other modern day LBs.

He was an All-Pro last year until the last 5 games or so.  I'll believe those last few games are indicative of where he will be when I see it.  Obviously, the switch to a 3-4 base will have an impact, but I think coverage is his strong suit and they'll probably spend 75-80% of the time in nickel, so the impact won't be that big.  I fully expect to see the same All-Pro play that we've seen most of the last 5 years.  

27 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He was an All-Pro last year until the last 5 games or so.  I'll believe those last few games are indicative of where he will be when I see it.  Obviously, the switch to a 3-4 base will have an impact, but I think coverage is his strong suit and they'll probably spend 75-80% of the time in nickel, so the impact won't be that big.  I fully expect to see the same All-Pro play that we've seen most of the last 5 years.  

It would be nice if he rebounds. I think that's why Brian Asamoah was an important pick. There is no evidence that Dye or Surratt can be competent NFL LBs, let alone fill in for Kendricks or Hicks as a starter if one misses games. Asamoah is a hedge against a lot of things, and an option to fil a starting spot in 2023 on the cheap.

47 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

KC gave up a lot to get their guy. A guy I was sure was a bust. It worked out.

I don't believe the Lions will have to move up much to get their guy. Everyone knows their roster is bad, but they are playing the long game to perfection imo.

They've been playing the long game for about 60 years.

• Like 2

For the best outcome of this draft, these things happen by 2023

1. Cine is starting FS (most likely)

2. Booth is a starting CB (hopefully him and Dantzler make a solid 1-2 combo)

3. Ed Ingram starting RG (hell or LG if Cleveland doesn't take a leap in pass protection)

4. Asamoah is one of the starting ILBs

5. Evans is CB3/depth that we feel comfortable about.

6. Chandler is part of a RBBC and productive player when they move on from Cook

7. Otomewo works his way in as rotational depth as a 3-4 DE

8. Lowe makes the roster as a swing tackle and keeps that spot

9. Nailor makes the roster as a WR 4/5 and works his way into a rotation and be depth you are comfortable with

10. Muse becomes TE3 as a depth piece.

• Like 2

Those players (Cook, Kendricks, etc.) certainly could be cut if the front office wants to bring in outside guys and need the cap space. I just don't see it happening as long as Cousins is the QB. Makes more financial sense to cut Cook after the 2023 season.

Dead: $3.1M and Cap Savings: $12.5M

RB Depth:
2022: Cook, Mattison, Nwangwu, Chandler
*2023: Cook, Nwangwu, Chandler, rookie/cheap veteran?
2024: Nwangwu, Chandler, rookie/cheap veteran?

*Is it after the 2023 (his 4th) season the first year that Jefferson is extension eligible or is it after this coming season? If so, getting the $12.5M from Cook is a no-brainer.

Also, is Asamoah the Kendricks replacement or the Hicks replacement? Suppose it may not matter as both are 2024 UFA's. Either way ILB will be a need in the next draft unless one of the other youngin's steps up, even then.

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Also, is Asamoah the Kendricks replacement or the Hicks replacement? Suppose it may not matter as both are 2024 UFA's. Either way ILB will be a need in the next draft unless one of the other youngin's steps up, even then.

I don't think it matters as long as he is A replacement for either. It doesn't matter who, but you need him to be good enough to take one of the spots.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Makes more financial sense to cut Cook after the 2023 season.

It makes sense from a dead cap perspective. But if Cook in 2022 is oft injured again, and just not very good, there is no way Kwesi will be paying him 14M for 2023; even if the dead cap is 6.2M if you cut him. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

It makes sense from a dead cap perspective. But if Cook in 2022 is oft injured again, and just not very good, there is no way Kwesi will be paying him 14M for 2023; even if the dead cap is 6.2M if you cut him. 

It'll be interesting to see how Kwesi handles those dead cap decisions. We're only just scratching the surface of how he'll run the team given he just completed is first off-season.

True, if he's injured again this year I think you cut bait. If he has a productive campaign I think you roll the dice in 2023 unless you need the money for an outside signing. We don't have many, if any, internal FA's that are going to command big money next year. I think you make one more run with Cousins/Cook in 2023 assuming Cook's health.

Edited by VikeManDan

39 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

They've been playing the long game for about 60 years.

Unless they somehow miraculously win the division this year, 2023 will mark 30 years since they last even won the division and it's been 65 years since their last NFL championship.  

They're like the Timberwolves...yes, they look like they're on the right path, but they need to prove it until I believe it, because we have decades of evidence to suggest otherwise.  

• Like 1

The Lions moved up 20 spots in the 1st as well as 20 spots in the 2nd by simply giving up the 34th overall pick. All in all, Vikings first year general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah made 6 trades in his first draft – two of which were with NFC North rivals. 

After some more maneuvering, this trade wound up netting Minnesota 32, 42, 59, 66, 165, 169, and 227.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/who-won-the-most-important-2022-draft-trades/