> 2023 NFL Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

This draft lacks in top end prospects, but it has a lot of guys that should go back half of day 2 to first half of day 3. Some of this probably due to the extra year of eligibility due to COVID. 

We really need to find a way to trade down and get some more dart throws, cause there may be more late 3rd to 5th rounders who hit this year. 

That 125 spot gap between our 3rd and 7th rounders almost makes me nauseous. Last year was really annoying cause we had a big gap between the Dean pick to the 5th round and just when a lot of us thought we might get Woolen we have Seattle right in front of us take him and we are left waiting even longer into the 6th round. I don’t want to experience another boring day 3.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

This draft lacks in top end prospects, but it has a lot of guys that should go back half of day 2 to first half of day 3. Some of this probably due to the extra year of eligibility due to COVID. 

We really need to find a way to trade down and get some more dart throws, cause there may be more late 3rd to 5th rounders who hit this year. 

That 125 spot gap between our 3rd and 7th rounders almost makes me nauseous. Last year was really annoying cause we had a big gap between the Dean pick to the 5th round and just when a lot of us thought we might get Woolen we have Seattle right in front of us take him and we are left waiting even longer into the 6th round. I don’t want to experience another boring day 3.

Glad they’ll have a clear picture on the comps at that point. I’m sure they’ll use some picks next year to get into that dead zone, along with anything they get in trade backs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Sure. A luxury pick that should have you crying tears of joy cause we got away with theft.

It’s not a revelation that RBs are losing their value. He may be special/he may not. I don’t know if you can find me 3 RBs in the last 10 years that were taken in the 1st that teams didn’t end up regretting or the guy didn’t flame out in a few years. I happen to think the Eagles offense is in that “luxury” situation but everyone knows, at the rate it’s going, how our defense is going to look in a couple years if we don’t restock appropriately. If that’s your understanding then fine. Load up offense, offense, offense. It’s not like Im not going to enjoy watching it. I just know I can get a good RB later in the draft and not spend amazing capital to do it. I can’t say that about most positions. 

15 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Oh… I definitely think Nolan is on the Eagles board and probably pretty high. I just meant he probably isn’t on Jeezla’s cause I don’t think he’s as high on him.

Nolan checks a lot of boxes for what they look for. He’s an edge which checks the box for positional value. He’s a high end athlete which they usually look for… unfortunately they didn’t care with Barnett. He has some of the highest character which they obviously value. He comes from a winning program which they have valued a lot the past 2 drafts with the Georgia and Bama players

He’s copying me now. @Jeezla

Maybe we are clones?

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

It’s not a revelation that RBs are losing their value. He may be special/he may not. I don’t know if you can find me 3 RBs in the last 10 years that were taken in the 1st that teams didn’t end up regretting or the guy didn’t flame out in a few years. I happen to think the Eagles offense is in that “luxury” situation but everyone knows, at the rate it’s going, how our defense is going to look in a couple years if we don’t restock appropriately. If that’s your understanding then fine. Load up offense, offense, offense. It’s not like Im not going to enjoy watching it. I just know I can get a good RB later in the draft and not spend amazing capital to do it. I can’t say that about most positions. 

I definitely can understand everything you’re getting at, but I think every situation is different. I wouldn’t suggest taking a RB in the 1st very often at all, but if he’s had at a value (going much lower than his talent level) and we recoup even more value in draft picks trading back, then I’m here for it. He’s about as complete as you can get from a back and I could see us getting 2 contracts (8-9 years) out of him. Really though I doubt we go that direction. From our visits it definitely seems like we’ll take an EDGE first.

23 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That’s what we are assuming and he will have had a full year on a NFL weight program to get that strength and weight up a bit. But, he’s never really played there, so it’s still a projection.

I'd still take him at guard over a rookie who's played Tackle to this point.

• Like 1

Reading back through the Bijan stuff the last couple of pages, a couple of takeaways.

1.  Bijan is a generational talent, to say otherwise is hilarious.

2.  I would not take him at 10, to many defensive needs to make a luxury pick.

3.  Saying any other back in the draft would have the same success as Bijan with the Eagles is beyond hilarious.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I definitely can understand everything you’re getting at, but I think every situation is different. I wouldn’t suggest taking a RB in the 1st very often at all, but if he’s had at a value (going much lower than his talent level) and we recoup even more value in draft picks trading back, then I’m here for it. He’s about as complete as you can get from a back and I could see us getting 2 contracts (8-9 years) out of him. Really though I doubt we go that direction. From our visits it definitely seems like we’ll take an EDGE first.

Fair. And I agree this go ‘round is a bit different. Doesn’t necessarily mean you abandon your fundamentals. I mean, assuming there is a set of values you have. A bad financial move when you’re broke is still a bad move when you’re a millionaire. Its just maybe not as disastrous. And, as we sometimes forget about these things, just because he’s a great prospect doesn’t mean he’ll be a great pro. A lot of 1st round RBs bust or are half of what’s promised. I’m not going to go into the pros and cons discussed ad nauseum here but we should all know by now the value of a RB, replacement value and opportunity cost issues by now. That second contract is usually the issue that REALLY makes it not worth it. The hit rate on a second contract by a team that drafted you as a RB in the first round is already so slim. That contract usually hinders you so much, you just cut or trade the guy anyway a year or two into it. Apologies for going on and on. And honestly, I’d be excited to see him play for us but I know it’s a mistake drafting him in the first. The extra first makes it more palatable, for sure though. If we can maximize a trade down at 10, pick him up in the teens, I can go for that. 

25 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Reading back through the Bijan stuff the last couple of pages, a couple of takeaways.

1.  Bijan is a generational talent, to say otherwise is hilarious.

2.  I would not take him at 10, to many defensive needs to make a luxury pick.

3.  Saying any other back in the draft would have the same success as Bijan with the Eagles is beyond hilarious.

You do understand that is all conjecture, right? You said nothing that’s fact. 

Was Fournette better than Kamara? 

Looking at later guys in the draft, the more I see and read, Matt Landers, WR, Arkansasa would be a guy to take a shot in if he makes it to the 7th round.  Ran a 4.37 at the combine at 6'5".

Does have some drop issues, but that can be cleaned up, and for such a big guy, seems to find holes in the defense and knows where to sit down.  And he can take the top off.

• Like 1

• Kiltman changed the title to > 2023 NFL Draft Prospects Thread <