2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

11 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Not a draft situation, but there is a thread that has the Jags extending Bortles for 3 more years.  

I think that takes them out of consideration for Cousins.

Yeah if they extended him for starter money which I assume they did they are out. Sucks sometimes to be successful but we've seen it before with Flacco. He did take them that season but you don't reward a hot QB with GOAT money and you probably shouldn't rewards a low end starter with top 15 (guess) money just because your D got you to the  conference championship game.

Here is a report of the numbers:

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Jaguars are giving QB Blake Bortles a new three-year, $54 million deal, worth up to $66.5M with incentives, that includes $26.5M guaranteed, tying him to Jacksonville through the 2020 season, per source.

We could eat that.

Might be a better option than McCarron.

An Osweiler 2.0 deal, with a 2019 pick?

Oh, if only Sashi were here!

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Here is a report of the numbers:

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Jaguars are giving QB Blake Bortles a new three-year, $54 million deal, worth up to $66.5M with incentives, that includes $26.5M guaranteed, tying him to Jacksonville through the 2020 season, per source.

We could eat that.

Might be a better option than McCarron.

An Osweiler 2.0 deal, with a 2019 pick?

Oh, if only Sashi were here!

Yeah there is no Osweiler deal that would happen, they would have just refused his 2018 option for $19 million if they wanted rid of him. They may draft a QB later but this is them saying we are going Bortles at least one more year and probably two. I'm gonna guess they can get out of this extension in 2019 with a less than 8 million hit if they need to go that route and just make this years salary 100% guaranteed.

23 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah there is no Osweiler deal that would happen, they would have just refused his 2018 option for $19 million if they wanted rid of him. They may draft a QB later but this is them saying we are going Bortles at least one more year and probably two. I'm gonna guess they can get out of this extension in 2019 with a less than 8 million hit if they need to go that route and just make this years salary 100% guaranteed.

Had they refused his 2018 option they would have had greatly reduced leverage in negotiating with Cousins.

Instead, they have increased their leverage in negotiating with Cousins and created the potential for an Osweiler deal to facilitate getting Cousins.

22 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Had they refused his 2018 option they would have had greatly reduced leverage in negotiating with Cousins.

Instead, they have increased their leverage in negotiating with Cousins and created the potential for an Osweiler deal to facilitate getting Cousins.

This is twice that you have confused me tonight. I have no idea how not being on the hook for $19 million for Bortles hurt their negotiations with Cousins. It's probably me, I admit that, but it makes no sense to me in my current state.

On 2/24/2018 at 8:30 AM, Aztec Hammer said:

Was watching some Baker Mayfield stuff in the hope that I would forge a bit of a liking for him.

Man, just taking all the on field stuff out of it for a second and focusing solely on his attitude and personality... I'm just not there yet.

There was an interview where he spoke about why he hates the Longhorns. I'm all for the chip on the shoulder but to me it came off really immature, the way he just said his piece and walked off.

The flag planting, crotch grabbing and throat slashing gestures. I've sort of tried to internalise that it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but I think it is. It's the little things that make up the grand scheme and define who you are. It's immature man, and I dread to think how emotionally negative his reactions will be in the pros when the failure rate is ratcheted up many levels and experienced a lot more than at the college levels.

The police video is the hardest thing for me to get over though. The other stuff is immature antics but you can sort of try to explain it away as competitive fire or whatever. The police video is real life, and not only does he get pulled for drunk and disorderly or whatever it is, but he actually tries to run.

That's just really troubling decision making.

I think Mayfield and the OC/QB C/HC will have to mesh well personality wise or there will be serious problems. He's a personal over business guy in almost everything he does atm.

The police vid to me sort of depends on how wasted he was. I've done some things in a drunken, surreal state that I'd never want caught on video. He obviously panicked, and knowing his status as a potential pro athlete, figured getting detained was no bueno. Fight or flight kicked in. Imo, more concerning is...wtf was he doing in the first place that made someone flag down a cop?

15 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I think Mayfield and the OC/QB C/HC will have to mesh well personality wise or there will be serious problems. He's a personal over business guy in almost everything he does atm.

The police vid to me sort of depends on how wasted he was. I've done some things in a drunken, surreal state that I'd never want caught on video. He obviously panicked, and knowing his status as a potential pro athlete, figured getting detained was no bueno. Fight or flight kicked in. Imo, more concerning is...wtf was he doing in the first place that made someone flag down a cop?

I think his coaches and teammates liked him, it was the other teams and media that had issues with him. Most of it, or all, was brought on by him to some degree even if it was retaliation but I don't think he intentionally did anything to be a blank to his own team. Running from the cops is stupid but I do have to question his elusiveness he only made it a step before being tackled. Darnold would have escaped the initial pressure and Wilson would still be running.

17 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

This is twice that you have confused me tonight. I have no idea how not being on the hook for $19 million for Bortles hurt their negotiations with Cousins. It's probably me, I admit that, but it makes no sense to me in my current state.

Bortles is their bird in the hand.

They are set and do not need to add Cousins.

Hence the leverage.

If they somehow are able to entice Cousins, then they let the bird fly via trade for cap reasons.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:02 PM, Mind Character said:

I don't know why they don't measure GRiP STRENGTH along with hand size...it would seem that strength in the hand would have more to do with holding onto the ball than just having big hands.

Bingo. Been saying this for years. 

Archived