2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

15 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, he had a lot of drops and outside of Burnett (who really is a #2 ) he no one else reliable to throw to. I know live and even when I went back to watch I found myself saying wow at the throws. Plus throughout the game, he knew the coverages and where the the hot throw was at all times and was under control even with pressure. That just led me to think, what if USC had a better line and at least one other threat outside. He did the best he could although everything was going against him.

I think that game was a REALLY good picture of both the points for and against Darnold. For: Wow throws, ingenuity to adapt when pressured, bad O-line (and to a MUCH lesser degree, WRs). Against: Baited into turnovers because of not recognizing a coverage.

47 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, he had a lot of drops and outside of Burnett (who really is a #2 ) he no one else reliable to throw to. I know live and even when I went back to watch I found myself saying wow at the throws. Plus throughout the game, he knew the coverages and where the the hot throw was at all times and was under control even with pressure. That just led me to think, what if USC had a better line and at least one other threat outside. He did the best he could although everything was going against him.

2016 O-line and Juju and you get 453 yards, 5TDs, 52 points and Rose Bowl MVP.

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I know im super late on this but am I the only one who was impressed with some of the throws Darnold made against tOSU?

No. Evidently you don’t remember my posts during that game ?

Favorite part of that game was his incredible poise and pocket presence. 

On 2/27/2018 at 11:46 AM, Bonanza23 said:

He’s not said anything that even remotely implies he doesn’t want to play for the Browns.

Of course he was taking a shot at the Browns. And of course he walked it back and said that's not what he said. C'mon.

But it brings me to something I've been trying to get a handle on recently. Between the top guys, which personality would mesh best with Todd Haley?...and to a lesser degree Hue Jackson?

Haley is universally regarded as a quality play coach but his nickname ought to be Todd "chaos is a ladder" Haley. His wife describes him as "ornery". He's had blow ups with players and coaches going way back. He takes after his mentor Parcells in being a complete ******* from time to time. His tenure as a HC was described as extraordinarily chaotic. Steelers coaches resigned rather than work with him. He's described himself as a guy that thrives on crisis...."the more conflict the better I perform."

I feel like he and Mayfield would either become best bros or arch enemies. Rosen?...forget about it. ...although I don't think Mora was a complete pushover. Darnold? idk....I don't think Sam is a rock. Earlier last season, when he was struggling a bit, he admitted that the pressure and expectations may have gotten to him and he was pressing some. That doesn't seem like the kind of personality that would thrive with Haley.

40 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Of course he was taking a shot at the Browns. And of course he walked it back and said that's not what he said. C'mon.

But it brings me to something I've been trying to get a handle on recently. Between the top guys, which personality would mesh best with Todd Haley?...and to a lesser degree Hue Jackson?

Haley is universally regarded as a quality play coach but his nickname ought to be Todd "chaos is a ladder" Haley. His wife describes him as "ornery". He's had blow ups with players and coaches going way back. He takes after his mentor Parcells in being a complete ******* from time to time. His tenure as a HC was described as extraordinarily chaotic. Steelers coaches resigned rather than work with him. He's described himself as a guy that thrives on crisis...."the more conflict the better I perform."

I feel like he and Mayfield would either become best bros or arch enemies. Rosen?...forget about it. ...although I don't think Mora was a complete pushover. Darnold? idk....I don't think Sam is a rock. Earlier last season, when he was struggling a bit, he admitted that the pressure and expectations may have gotten to him and he was pressing some. That doesn't seem like the kind of personality that would thrive with Haley.

Yeah I disagree with the first part. 

As for the second part I’d give big time cash money to draft Rosen and sit in on the qb meetings between he and hue about play calling. Talk about fireworks!

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

That just led me to think, what if USC had a better line and at least one other threat outside. He did the best he could although everything was going against him.

Polar opposite of Mayfield's situation in which he had everything going for him.

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

Polar opposite of Mayfield's situation in which he had everything going for him.

People overestimating Mayfield's situation and underestimating Darnolds. Definitely a real disparity in supporting cast, but mostly on the OL, their receivers/backs were pretty comparable. I'm fine with noting the disparity, but it's not like Mayfield had a Bama defense level cast and Darnold was playing with D2 cats.

27 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Darnolds hands are 9&3/8” hands bakers are smaller. 

Rosen is 9 and a half and rocket arm guy is over 10.

9 and three eighths to 9 and two eighths is negligible. I'm glad both hit the 9' threshold, beyond that I don't think anybody should care very much. Also shows that these measurements are variable, since Mayfield measured at 9 and a half at the senior bowl and 9 and a quarter at the combine.

3 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

9 and three eighths to 9 and two eighths is negligible. I'm glad both hit the 9' threshold, beyond that I don't think anybody should care very much. Also shows that these measurements are variable, since Mayfield measured at 9 and a half at the senior bowl and 9 and a quarter at the combine.

Yeah, the marginal differences should basically be ignored. As far as hand size, that measurement should only be used to

ensure a guy doesn’t have super tiny hands. Beyond that, it shouldn’t be used to separate any QB from the next. 

Archived