2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

Another thing to consider as well. They are face-to-face, real life meeting with these guys. We’ve all had that experience of being around certain people that just give off a wow vibe.

I can definitely see Josh Allen doing that. Between him looking the part and probably having the best personality and maturity in interviews.

Darnold has that even-keel, one of the guys thing going for him but he can come across a certain way at times. Every other word is ‘awesome’ or ‘amazing’. Overall he’s got a solid demeanour that should appeal to most teams.

Rosen, rightly or wrongly is going to put teams off. I don’t have a problem with him but I can tell he’s got it in him to be pretty annoying and potentially intolerable to football people.

Mayfield is a lightning rod. Standoffish, super cocky and quite dislikable imo. However I concede that those same qualities might make him really likeable to others. Some teams will hate him. Some will love him.

Allen seems the best blend of maturity, relatability and likability. I’m not surprised him and Darnold have formed a friendship. They seem pretty similar, except Allen maybe is a bit more vocal and better at holding a conversation whereas Darnold is more about setting the example without having to be rah-rah and guys will naturally follow him.

I wonder how much if the personality evaluations come from talking to a player’s teammates?

A guy like Rosen may come off like a ball bag to a 60 year old dude, but if he relates well to his teammates and guys closer to his age, isn’t that what really matters?

Also, what do guys like coaches, training staff, etc think of him?

I just think paying too much attention to interviews and not listening to people who’ve been around a player for a few years makes it easy to be charmed by someone who’s just telling you what you want to hear while missing the obvious clues, like with JFF.

I read the most common question teams like to ask is to say, a UCLA player for example:

If you could bring one college teammate to the pros, who would it be?

The thought process is that if most of them don’t pick clearly the best player (particularly at a key position), in this case it would be Rosen, it is telling and can be quite off putting.

If this FO thinks it’s okay to draft Allen because of his high upside, they didn’t watch Hueball’s reverse Midas touch on a raw Deshone Kizer last year.

You don’t low percentage gamble with the 1st pick of the draft. 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Interesting stat.

It’s not like he plays in a warm weather area or something, that’s pretty odd.

It got me thinking a little bit. I read a line that said his teammates are going to be bartenders and stock brokers. Just regular guys that happened to play some college football.

Maybe they really weren’t cut out for travelling and playing well.

It at least intrigues me a bit to see how Allen performs with elite talent, elite coaching etc.

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

It got me thinking a little bit. I read a line that said his teammates are going to be bartenders and stock brokers. Just regular guys that happened to play some college football.

So are a lot of the guys he was playing against.

Maybe they really weren’t cut out for travelling and playing well.

Perhaps, INT’s aren’t necessarily an issue with anyone more than Allen himself.

It at least intrigues me a bit to see how Allen performs with elite talent, elite coaching etc.

Absolutely. His physical talent is as good as I’ve ever seen.  He checks all the “face of the franchise” boxes. The lone issue is how well he plays the game.

He’s a boom or bust guy, either cementing a coach and GM’s legacy or having them update resumes in 3 years.

With guys like Darnold, Rosen and Mayfiels, all of who are head and shoulders ahead of Allen at actually playing football, I don’t see how he’s the pick.

I still think it’s Darnold.

35 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Something I thought was interesting.

Josh Allen:

At home: 30TD, 6INT

On the road: 14TD, 15INT

The dude only completes 39% of passes when facing pressure too. That's VERY worrisome. 

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The dude only completes 39% of passes when facing pressure too. That's VERY worrisome. 

I saw on a video he was pressured 41% of the time. Which is extremely high.

Your stat above is very worrisome indeed. 56% completion. 1TD, 8INT vs the three best teams etc. All worrying.

But if his teammates are really atrocious players and can’t get open before the pressure gets home, which it apparently does pretty quickly half the time...

Archived