Jets 2022 General Talk

Bobby816

14 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

oh i see you all are still holding out hope for mims

Issue for him now is opportunity. He had opportunity at times the last 2 years and wasn't healthy. Now he's healthy, but wont get opportunity unless we have injuries (which hopefully we don't). Guy has talent no question. He just has to stay healthy and get snaps. I see no way we move on from him while we have him on a rookie contrcat.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Why not? He has an elite physical profile, was productive in college, is a former 2nd round pick, flashed as a rookie, and a lot of his struggles were outside of his control. 

Cause he couldn't catch the clap. I haven't been a fan since before the team drafted him and his told everyone on these boards he was a bust only to be shamed for saying at the time I'd rather have guys like duvernay or v. Jefferson 

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Issue for him now is opportunity. He had opportunity at times the last 2 years and wasn't healthy. Now he's healthy, but wont get opportunity unless we have injuries (which hopefully we don't). Guy has talent no question. He just has to stay healthy and get snaps. I see no way we move on from him while we have him on a rookie contrcat.

Has nothing to do with talent. He sucks.  Pure physical traits guy whose not a good wr 

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

Has nothing to do with talent. He sucks.  Pure physical traits guy whose not a good wr 

Why does he suck?  Serious question.  I was not the biggest fan of him coming out only because I am not a fan of Baylor's "go there, catch that" WR concepts.  But I can't say he sucks if he gets a whopping 44 targets in 2020 and 23 targets in 2021.  The opportunity is not there.  I am still not clear on why they did not play him more but I'll assume it has to do with poor practice habits. If you believe recent reports (big if), he is working hard to earn a shot this season.  The point is that before I say he sucks or is good I'd like to see him play more.  If he can't even earn playing time then, yeah, he may not be worth keeping around.

12 minutes ago, xrade said:

Why does he suck?  Serious question.  I was not the biggest fan of him coming out only because I am not a fan of Baylor's "go there, catch that" WR concepts.  But I can't say he sucks if he gets a whopping 44 targets in 2020 and 23 targets in 2021.  The opportunity is not there.  I am still not clear on why they did not play him more but I'll assume it has to do with poor practice habits. If you believe recent reports (big if), he is working hard to earn a shot this season.  The point is that before I say he sucks or is good I'd like to see him play more.  If he can't even earn playing time then, yeah, he may not be worth keeping around.

He had a 35% catch percentage last year which is god awful  If you can't beat out Jeff and Vincent Smith for playing time, you're just not good

40 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

He had a 35% catch percentage last year which is god awful  If you can't beat out Jeff and Vincent Smith for playing time, you're just not good

So his health issues you're just throwing out like that's not a factor?

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So his health issues you're just throwing out like that's not a factor?

look he had food poisoning in training camp last year, that was his "injury"  how you can't recover from that to beat out the smith tandem all year is beyond me.  Regardless, the best ability is availability

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

look he had food poisoning in training camp last year, that was his "injury"  how you can't recover from that to beat out the smith tandem all year is beyond me.  Regardless, the best ability is availability

I assume you've never got food poisoning that knocked you down that much. Imagine getting any illness that takes nearly 25lbs of weight of you and trying to return to a professional athlete level.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I assume you've never got food poisoning that knocked you down that much. Imagine getting any illness that takes nearly 25lbs of weight of you and trying to return to a professional athlete level.

i have and it took me 2-3 months and I was back to normal, which would have  put it around week 8 and i don't have professional nutritionist, and athletic trainers.    Again, he had the same amount of receptions as Tevin Coleman, who they didn't even bother to use in the passing game.  I hope I'm wrong, but Ive been on the Denzel Mims sucks train since pre draft.  Terrible route runner, spotty hands, concentraition lapses.  Hes tall and he can run, thats it

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

That 35% catch percentage is misleading.  Why only 35%?  Were all those balls catchable?  How can you keep your head in the game with only 23 targets?  If you want to argue his 8.7% drop rate, I can see that but again how do you keep mentally focused?  By contrast, he had a 2.3% drop rate in 2020 with 44 targets.

As for not being able to start over the Smith's, that is certainly not promising.  Let's see if you really dedicates himself this year and can earn more PT.

I just think he has the talent but needs to work on staying healthy and diligently working at his craft.  If he's a headcase, that too needs to change.

25 minutes ago, xrade said:

That 35% catch percentage is misleading.  Why only 35%?  Were all those balls catchable?  How can you keep your head in the game with only 23 targets?  If you want to argue his 8.7% drop rate, I can see that but again how do you keep mentally focused?  By contrast, he had a 2.3% drop rate in 2020 with 44 targets.

As for not being able to start over the Smith's, that is certainly not promising.  Let's see if you really dedicates himself this year and can earn more PT.

I just think he has the talent but needs to work on staying healthy and diligently working at his craft.  If he's a headcase, that too needs to change.

If that is the concentration level and head space you think Mims lives in, the team might as well cut him now cause that number isn't going up outside of a couple injuries

Mims falls short in the mental aspect, physically he’s everything you want. Still it’s too early to give up but he has to show something this season. He also needs to be given a chance and not this 3rd team BS either. I did see a clip where he looked really fluid in his movement which I think shows an improvement on his route running, particularly his short routes which are a staple of the offense. 

46 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

If that is the concentration level and head space you think Mims lives in, the team might as well cut him now cause that number isn't going up outside of a couple injuries

Perhaps. That is why I say if he can’t earn more opportunities then there is definitely something wrong and JD should cut bait.

Do you think his skill level is sucky?  Or is it just his head that makes him bad? Or both?

6 minutes ago, xrade said:

Perhaps. That is why I say if he can’t earn more opportunities then there is definitely something wrong and JD should cut bait.

Do you think his skill level is sucky?  Or is it just his head that makes him bad? Or both?

he's tall, he's fast.  He doesn't run routes well.  In fact I think i've only seen him making catches off of go routes and slants.  He's actually pretty good with the ball in his hands.  He's a toolsy guy who i just think doesn't have it mentally, at all

6 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

he's tall, he's fast.  He doesn't run routes well.  In fact I think i've only seen him making catches off of go routes and slants

You just described Baylor’s whole WR game plan.  He is tall and fast which is something that can’t be taught. The question is can he learn what is needed?  Can the coaches coach him up?  If so, he may be a decent receiver. If not, he’ll join a long list of failed WR’s that are physically gifted but can’t play in the NFL.

This is the year he has to prove it. No excuses.  His physical skills and college production (regardless of the school) should earn him the right to earn that playing time considering the poor situations he started out in over the last two seasons.