CB Bryce Callahan agrees 1 year deal with LA Chargers

lomaxgrUK

He was excellent in 2020 for the Broncos, and still a decent player in 2021.

Problem with Bryce, as ever, is his health. The injuries definitely played a factor in him giving up bigger plays last year (6.6 yards per completion in 2020 vs 14.1 in 2021).

He's worked with Staley in Denver so I imagine he knows the scheme and he's probably a direct replacement for Chris Harris JR.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

He was excellent in 2020 for the Broncos, and still a decent player in 2021.

Problem with Bryce, as ever, is his health. The injuries definitely played a factor in him giving up bigger plays last year (6.6 yards per completion in 2020 vs 14.1 in 2021).

He's worked with Staley in Denver so I imagine he knows the scheme and he's probably a direct replacement for Chris Harris JR.

Luckily he’s just depth right now. We also needed a veteran presence for the rookies.

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

How bad was his injury history? I remember him being pretty damn good… injures must be pretty bad if he’s going for 1yr deals post-draft.

Broke his foot in late 2018 and never played in 2019. Missed 6 games in both 2020 and 2021 (with different injuries).

I was really surprised at how good of an outside CB he was for us in 2020, given his diminutive size. I still think if he stays healthy it could be a really good pickup for the Chargers. It's just a rather large 'if', that's all.

• Like 2

Defense was the Chargers weakest link last year and it's safe to say the FO recognized it and addressed it.

EDGE: Bosa, Mack
ILD: Day, Johnson, fehoko
LB: Murray, Reader, Tranquil
DB: JC, Harris, Asante, Davis, Bryce, Woods, Adderly

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Defense was the Chargers weakest link last year and it's safe to say the FO recognized it and addressed it.

IDL: Replace Fehoko with Ogbonnia

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'd replace Reader with Van Noy.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 8:54 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Harris is gone, but we do have some James guy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

How has CHJ been the last year or two? When I watched LAC it seems like he was sort of non-existent. Not sure if he lost a step with age or what.

He has been terrible. He's not quick anymore, so he can't really cover anyone.

He's still a smart guy, but his physicals are gone. It puts a lot of strain on the other players to actually cover for him a lot.

Half of the opposing teams highlights this past year, is him shouting at other people, for not covering for him, when he gets beat by a mile.

Edited by kramxel
  • Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, kramxel said:

He has been terrible. He's not quick anymore, so he can't really cover anyone.

He's still a smart guy, but his physicals are gone. It puts a lot of strain on the other players to actually cover for him a lot.

Half of the opposing teams highlights this past year, is him shouting at other people, for not covering for him, when he gets beat by a mile.

Crazy to hear this (amongst other CBs losing steps in their 30s) and then see Casey Hayward still going strong. 

• Like 1