2022 Rookie Mini camp, OTA, Training Camp Thread

Trentwannabe

16 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I wonder if Crowder might be the odd man out? If he doesn't win the starting slot position and he doesn't play on special teams, he becomes a fairly expensive depth 4-5 WR that won't play many snaps on offense barring injury. If he doesn't play special teams then I think Kumerow might bring more value overall in McBeane's eyes. I am just guessing on what I think McBeane would do. I would keep Crowder over Kumerow but this staff really values special teams contributions from their depth players.

I dont see Crowder at risk I still view him as the primary slot receiver unless he is injured he should make the team. Cost of keeping him on the roster is 1.85 mil cost of cutting him is 1.75 mil so only 100k difference. When crowder is healthy the guy is a beast in the slot just look back at 2019 and 2020 bills games he picked a part our defense. Mckenzie is going to be involved in the slot as well but I see him also moving around in spots such as the rb position or outside at times. During 4 Wr sets you would have davis and diggs on the outside and crowder and mckenzie on the inside. I think Crowder is more valuable then kumerow/hodgins at this point. While special teams may help one of those by making the team I dont see both making it over crowder, if healthy. I know people love mckenzie and while I think he deserves his shot he still does not have the production to have him go in to the season as our primary slot with no back up option. Shakir is definitely someone exciting to watch but look at davis it took him 2 years to get his shot at being starter having to sit behind brown and then sanders, I would be surprised if Shakir gets the nod to start if every wr is healthy. This team is looking for superbowl contention cutting a player because he doesnt participate on special teams yet the best option for offense even if its back up doesnt seem like the smart move especially if one goes down to injury.

12 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

He is definitely on the bubble, but they typically tend to keep back end roster guys for their special teams contributions and locker room impact. They already know what they have in Kumerow on special teams, but they might be giving him more WR reps considering our outside WR depth is very shaky.

I think they know what they have in Kumerow as a WR to be honest. I think he had 2 catches last year? I agree, if he’s kept it’s for his special teams ability. But IMO, if Hodgins is anywhere close to him on special teams, he should get the 6th WR spot due to his potential still as an outside WR

17 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think they know what they have in Kumerow as a WR to be honest. I think he had 2 catches last year? I agree, if he’s kept it’s for his special teams ability. But IMO, if Hodgins is anywhere close to him on special teams, he should get the 6th WR spot due to his potential still as an outside WR

With Kumerow you have to push to move him, he isnt someone who will make or break this team and offensively while he had a td in 2020 I dont know if he is worth putting in. If we can get a day 3 pick out of him with a team like GB I say do it, but if not and they have to cut down I say kumerow goes just because that is a quick 1.1 mil they can save for other contracts this year. 

This brings up a question I am curious others think who is a surprise cut or cuts but that may make sense. Kumerow would be mine but I think Haack is a given and that will also save 750k. Cody Ford being traded and Andre Smith being cut would be the other top moves that I could see coming.

6 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think Hodgins biggest hurdle is his health. He really needs to prove to this staff that he can stay on the field. I remember Beane saying that availability is key. Also if Hodgins is our # 6 WR how many offensive snaps is he going to get? Also isn't Hodgins more of a slot WR than an outside WR?

Edited by Billsfaninptown

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

With Kumerow you have to push to move him, he isnt someone who will make or break this team and offensively while he had a td in 2020 I dont know if he is worth putting in. If we can get a day 3 pick out of him with a team like GB I say do it, but if not and they have to cut down I say kumerow goes just because that is a quick 1.1 mil they can save for other contracts this year. 

This brings up a question I am curious others think who is a surprise cut or cuts but that may make sense. Kumerow would be mine but I think Haack is a given and that will also save 750k. Cody Ford being traded and Andre Smith being cut would be the other top moves that I could see coming.

What are the savings if they cut Andre Smith? Couldn't they just put him on the suspended list and not have him count towards the top 51 cap hits?

5 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I think Hodgins biggest hurdle is his health. He really needs to prove to this staff that he can stay on the field. I remember Beane saying that availability is key. Also if Hodgins is our # 6 WR how many offensive snaps is he going to get? Also isn't Hodgins more of a slot WR than an outside WR?

I think he’s working mostly outside all year. Certainly in the pre season game anyway. 

I agree, he needs to prove he can stay healthy.

11 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

brings up a question I am curious others think who is a surprise cut or cuts but that may make sense. Kumerow would be mine but I think Haack is a given and that will also save 750k. Cody Ford being traded and Andre Smith being cut would be the other top moves that I could see coming.

Andre Smith will start the year on the suspended list. 

Haack and Ford are definitely gone 

18 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

What are the savings if they cut Andre Smith? Couldn't they just put him on the suspended list and not have him count towards the top 51 cap hits?

Savings of 1.1 mil....even if he is put on the list once he is off someone has to be cut...I am not sure what his contract is broken down but I wouldnt hate him going on the list and if everyone plays well they can cut him then without losing more money. Also not sure how the 51 cap hit works with suspensions either. 

On 8/17/2022 at 9:26 AM, soflbillsfan said:

Does Cody Ford have any value left? Im not sure we can even fetch a lats rounder for him

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Does Cody Ford have any value left? Im not sure we can even fetch a lats rounder for him

Media has been raving about how hart and ford have completely changed under kromer and showed some promise in both games. It will be interesting to see how the final cuts go down as there are a ton of players who looked like easy moves are now pushing to make the roster. I thought for sure Moss, Ford, and Hart were all going to be off the roster prior to preseason now all look like they may make it 

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Haack and Austin cut.. No brainer moves.

Im leaning Isaiah Hodgins over Kumerow if theyre battling for that last WR spot.

I didnt notice whether or not hodgins was on ST did anyone catch that? at the end of the day whoever makes that 6th wr is essentially on special teams with minimal snaps on offense unless injury occurs which kumerow got his highest snap count last year due to injuries at only 20% against pats. Most of his season consisted of 15% or less. I would assume this would be the case this year for that 6th wr. The plus of keeping hodgins is the money they save by moving on from kumerow, also potential day 3 pick if they traded him. Hoping Rodgers complaining to WR this past week he would push for this opportunity to bring kumerow back.