2022 Rookie Mini camp, OTA, Training Camp Thread

Trentwannabe

On 7/25/2022 at 11:04 AM, Trentwannabe said:

I think it’s irrelevant because I see him getting a new contract. But I would bet he’d play this season even if he didn’t get one

I cannot imagine him sitting out he knows he isnt young anymore and any time he is not on the field that is more money out of his pocket for future too. He is a team player I too expect him to play this year no matter what. I do hope they extend him if hes playing at a high level still plenty of gas in that tank and I dont see him breaking the bank either. 

On 7/25/2022 at 11:43 AM, Trentwannabe said:

Only day 2 but some interesting notes about the WR room:

McKenzie is getting all first team reps in the slot. Not in the rotation for KR

Stevenson is first on the rotation for KR

Shakir has apparently looked good and adjust his body well to off target throws. He’s 4th in the rotation for KR

Crowder was on a stationary bike today. Did not practice.

Crowder out today as well as kumerow. If crowder doesnt see the field in preseason I could see him being the oddman out for wr simply because he cannot stay healthy. I think he is the best slot wr on the team right now but it means nothing if he cant be on the field. I doubt Mckenzie is let go as he is cheap for 2 years and has showed quite a bit when Beasley was out last year. While everyone praises kumerow on special teams I wouldnt be upset if he was let go. Stevenson still seems like a project for the bills and unless he is proving to be the KR they expected he may be cut and expected to psqaud. 

Diggs Davis Shakir Mckenzie all seem like locks for the season, Crowder would be #5 and then you have austin, stevenson, and kumerow fighting for the last spot unless they roll with 7 this year and only have 3 RBs which would include taiwan jones leaving zack moss on the block

• Like 1

I am happy to see the reports that Shakir is playing well. He could be the #3 WR around mid season once Crowder gets hurt and McKenzie disappoints. Also it sounds like Cam Lewis and Nick McCloud are off to a good start. They could be be battling for a roster spot. If Tre comes back healthy this CB room could be the best we've had under McDermott.

7 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Crowder out today as well as kumerow. If crowder doesnt see the field in preseason I could see him being the oddman out for wr simply because he cannot stay healthy. I think he is the best slot wr on the team right now but it means nothing if he cant be on the field. I doubt Mckenzie is let go as he is cheap for 2 years and has showed quite a bit when Beasley was out last year. While everyone praises kumerow on special teams I wouldnt be upset if he was let go. Stevenson still seems like a project for the bills and unless he is proving to be the KR they expected he may be cut and expected to psqaud. 

Diggs Davis Shakir Mckenzie all seem like locks for the season, Crowder would be #5 and then you have austin, stevenson, and kumerow fighting for the last spot unless they roll with 7 this year and only have 3 RBs which would include taiwan jones leaving zack moss on the block

Austin apparently looks really good at camp so far. Seems to be getting quite  a bit of work with Keenum and the 2s. 

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Austin apparently looks really good at camp so far. Seems to be getting quite  a bit of work with Keenum and the 2s. 

So what do you do in the situation? Is kumerow a must keep just cause of his ST abilities or is he someone who can be expendable and look at Diggs, Davis, Mckenzie, Crowder, Shakir, Austin, and you suffer at a different position by keeping 7 on either kumerow or stevenson. I dont see how Moss and/or duke make the team if mckenzie is playing some snaps in the back field in practice. Seems like they could move on from moss as he has been a disappointment

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

So what do you do in the situation? Is kumerow a must keep just cause of his ST abilities or is he someone who can be expendable and look at Diggs, Davis, Mckenzie, Crowder, Shakir, Austin, and you suffer at a different position by keeping 7 on either kumerow or stevenson. I dont see how Moss and/or duke make the team if mckenzie is playing some snaps in the back field in practice. Seems like they could move on from moss as he has been a disappointment

I think injuries, money and pre-season will dictate what happens at the position.

As for RB, I actually completely forgot Duke was on the roster. Moss has apparently gotten some work with the 1's. He adds something no other back does, but whether or not he stays healthy is the issue.

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think injuries, money and pre-season will dictate what happens at the position.

As for RB, I actually completely forgot Duke was on the roster. Moss has apparently gotten some work with the 1's. He adds something no other back does, but whether or not he stays healthy is the issue.

I wonder if we can trade one of the receivers that doesn't make the cut? Beane has been good at getting picks in return for players we were going to cut. This could be a good spot to trade one of our back end WR's for a late round pick. This has been basically his strategy instead of getting compensatory draft picks he trades roster worthy players because the team is so deep. Reports are saying that Moss is looking good so far in camp. Hopefully that continues. Singletary, Cook, and Moss would be a perfect complimentary trio of backs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I wonder if we can trade one of the receivers that doesn't make the cut? Beane has been good at getting picks in return for players we were going to cut. This could be a good spot to trade one of our back end WR's for a late round pick. This has been basically his strategy instead of getting compensatory draft picks he trades roster worthy players because the team is so deep. Reports are saying that Moss is looking good so far in camp. Hopefully that continues. Singletary, Cook, and Moss would be a perfect complimentary trio of backs.

I would assume guys like Stevenson and Hodgins would have some minimal interest because of their age and contracts if we were to move on.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

He is going to benefit so much from Miller and Jones/Settle being beside him.

I haven’t heard much about Jones. I think he got a rest day yesterday, but has he been the starting 1T next to Oliver for most of the first team reps? Also any news on how they’re using Bernard? Haven’t heard much about him so far.

34 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I haven’t heard much about Jones. I think he got a rest day yesterday, but has he been the starting 1T next to Oliver for most of the first team reps? Also any news on how they’re using Bernard? Haven’t heard much about him so far.

I believe Jones has been getting the majority of the 1st team reps. Though I expect to see a lot of rotation between him and Settle, similar to Oliver and Phillips.

I forget who, but on day 1 I read from a reporter that Bernard looks fast and has good instincts. He is the one relaying the play call for the 2nd team unit. 

On 7/26/2022 at 11:58 AM, soflbillsfan said:

I cannot imagine him sitting out he knows he isnt young anymore and any time he is not on the field that is more money out of his pocket for future too. He is a team player I too expect him to play this year no matter what. I do hope they extend him if hes playing at a high level still plenty of gas in that tank and I dont see him breaking the bank either. 

I have a hunch something is going to get done shortly. Reasons:

1. Brandon Beane said in his press conference that knowing the type of people Poyer & Hyde are, he expects them to play at a high level for the foreseeable future. Joe B with The Athletic pointed this out and said Beane chooses his words carefully and this shows Beane isn't worried about Poyer being 31 and his production in a year or two from now. 
  2. Drew Rosenhaus attended day 1 of training camp and Poyer said in his presser that Rosenhaus is there to talk to Beane. He's not flying to Buffalo to meet face to face with Beane if they are far apart on talks. Just not happening. 
  3. The distraction it'll be all season long. This is the year, everything has built up to this. Poyer was the first piece to the rebuild and is a huge favorite of McDermott. No way they go into the season without an extension or at least a couple million added on to this season to appease Poyer. Same reason they extended Diggs and paid him for a higher APV once Christian Kirk signed that deal. They don't want any distractions with the leaders in the locker room. 

I think one of two things is going to happen. 

1. Bills add a couple million to his contract for this season. Get his salary where an all pro safeties would be. After the season revisit talks or Poyer leaves for a big deal. 
  2. A 3 year extension that makes Poyer a top 5-7 paid safety with an out after year 2. Not a high guaranteed number but one that'll satisfy Poyer. 

Cause I agree. He's the ultimate team player and truly wants to stay in Buffalo and retire here. I think he would even take a discount from what he would get on the open market as long as Beane is willing to pay a 31 year old safety. 

• Like 1