The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, massraider said:

This would be much easier if the Raiders had a decent draft or two under their belt, but bottom line, if McD thinks he can get some version of Jalen Hurts, the price from 7 to 3 is worth it. 

How much do you think it costs to go to 3 though? 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Missing on a QB the specially that early usually sets you back for years. It’s not something that you just say YOLO on lol

100%.  Not only are you spending multiple years 1sts to move up, your spending 2-3 years figuring out he’s not the guy.

17 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

A lot of people are sleeping on D. Hall from Auburn and i don't know why.  I am not saying he is worth the 7th pick however if he is there in the 2nd round he needs to strongly be considered.  I see a ton of mocks and he is going in the late 2nd, early 3rd.  If he is there in the 3rd we need to run to the podium.  

I like D Hall a lot!  He’d be a very nice late 2nd, early 3rd round pick.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

100%.  Not only are you spending multiple years 1sts to move up, your spending 2-3 years figuring out he’s not the guy.

If we had a better team / more of a young core established I wouldn’t mind moving up. But again assuming it costs 7, 38, 70 we will have traded away 5 premium top 70 picks over their first two drafts and only have one cornerstone piece to show for it.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

If we had a better team / more of a young core established I wouldn’t mind moving up. But again assuming it costs 7, 38, 70 we will have traded away 5 premium top 70 picks over their first two drafts and only have one cornerstone piece to show for it.

Yeah, I don’t think we’re in any position not to be building up the Defense and OL.

4 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m in no rush to get a QBotF mainly because we’re locked into Jimmy G for 2 years and If McD can’t make it work with his boy he’s gotta go and I’d much rather let the new HC pick their QB.

Having Jimmy does give you the time to be patient and develop Richardson though. 

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How much do you think it costs to go to 3 though? 

2 and a 3.

Hey I don't wanna do it either. But then again, we are draft junkies, we want a dozen picks every year. 

But it doesn't mean it isn't the smart move. We would still have two picks in the top 109-- and have the QB. And we have a lot of picks this year. 

We talk about having ammo to get a QB, we could easily do it. 

• Like 1

Derick Hall would be a fine 3rd round pick. Inconsistency killed him at Auburn. Needs a coach who can get that talent out of him. There is a lot of depth at EDGE this year so hard to see him being a 2nd round pick with the talent that’s above him

• Like 1

Having Jimmy signed means nothing when dude is always hurt. Also his 2024 cap number is 24 million it’s not like they would have a 40 million dollar back up QB while Richardson is taking over. 

Front office was smart when putting the Jimmy deal together. They could essentially cut him after this season if they wanted to. Yes they would take a cap hit but they also gain cap space as well. They gave themselves a QB who they think can win with this season but didn’t let that stop them for being aggressive for a QB if they liked them. 

Edited by agarcia34

Richardson is an elite physical talent especially at the QB position, but most importantly the kid seems to be humble and a coachable type. I liked the demeanor he gave off during his pro day, very at ease and relaxed. I think that poise was impressive and with the proper coaching he could be a monster in the NFL. This is the type of player that is worth the risk and can energize a fan base and team. The more I think about it, if Ziegler believes in him then hell yea, go and get him.

• Like 1

Assuming next years draft slot won’t be as high as 7, it’s probably safe to assume this is the the cheapest it’ll get to move up, right? If DZ is bought into AR then I believe they (the organization) are confident they have the coaches & plan to develop him. I like the fact that DZ seems to be a relatable guy. He’s said he’s close with D. Adams so that tells me he at least tries to connect with players & he’s got some drip... which is good for appearances🤣 Wish I could say the same for his boy JMD, dude got 0 drip & is uninspiring.