The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Giving up multiple firsts / premium picks to move up for a 24 year old QB who’s weaknesses are pocket presence, accuracy, decision making, and reading defenses…

It’d definitely be up there because we’d be setting’s  ourselves back 2-4 years.  

I agree it’s a very bad move. Just can’t replace jawalrus and maybe even pleatherwhiff....lmao! 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Giving up multiple firsts / premium picks to move up for a 24 year old QB who’s weaknesses are pocket presence, accuracy, decision making, and reading defenses…

It’d definitely be up there because we’d be setting’s  ourselves back 2-4 years.  

I mean, yes.... they would have to be damn sure he the guy. But if they are confident in that and he becomes a franchise QB, then nobody would blink an eye. 

I don't like trading up with so many holes, but I would understand taking your swing. They had better get it right though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Devilshark69 said:

I agree it’s a very bad move. Just can’t replace jawalrus and maybe even pleatherwhiff....lmao! 

Russell was historically bad for sure. The leatherwood pick sucked but didn’t really have any long term implications  

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

I mean, yes.... they would have to be damn sure he the guy. But if they are confident in that and he becomes a franchise QB, then nobody would blink an eye. 

I don't like trading up with so many holes, but I would understand taking your swing. They had better get it right though. 

I’m against trading up and don’t love any of the QB other than Stroud. But I understand trading up for Richardson, trading up to select Levis over Richardson would be insane though. If you’re going to gamble on tools why not take the younger player with significantly better tools that at bare minimum is guaranteed to be an elite rushing QB? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You need to picking top 3 to land "the guy" in any draft. If Williams and Maye were in this class, they'd go 1 and 2. 

Depends on Jimmy G's health for me. I think he stays relatively healthy and they are a .500 team. I don't write him off as injured like most. Most his things are freaky and unrelated. 

That’s why I’d try to trade down, fix the d and o line as much as possible then look at QB next year. Waaay better overall depth at least so far at first glance. Then I’d possibly give up what I had to to get one of the top guys. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

In the FF mock I traded Andre James, #7, #70, 2024 1st for #3.

Young, Richardson and Levis are on the board. Who do we take? @FloydFan @BayRaider @big_palooka @Devilshark69

Richardson > > > Levis > Young

I'm out on Young. I think he's a good QB, will have some great seasons but ultimately have a short career due to his size. He's not an elite runner. You'll need to protect him at all costs. I wouldn't be mad at it, but I don't think he holds up in the NFL. Brees and Wilson were thicker guys at his height. Young looks like the kids at the park I see around town. I'd rather lose taking upside then invest in Young. 

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Russell was historically bad for sure. The leatherwood pick sucked but didn’t really have any long term implications  

I don't get how bad leatherwood was. Ok he was over drafted but he still should have been good.

Just now, big_palooka said:

Richardson > > > Levis > Young

I'm out on Young. I think he's a good QB, will have some great seasons but ultimately have a short career due to his size. He's not an elite runner. You'll need to protect him at all costs. I wouldn't be mad at it, but I don't think he holds up in the NFL. Brees and Wilson were thicker guys at his height. Young looks like the kids at the park I see around town. I'd rather lose taking upside then invest in Young. 

I was listening to a podcast and they were talking about how he basically never threw over the middle 10+ yards down the field. Russell Wilson has a similar passing chart where he’s either checking down or throwing to the sideline. They were talking about how much it limits your offense because you’re not able to take advantage of mismatches on LB/S over the middle. 

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Idk Ziegler has been overly aggressive when it comes to skill position guys and extremely conservative addressing other position groups / the defense.

Sadly, all too true.

Ziegler will need to break character and laser focus on defense, with six holes to fix and little cap space (15th, ~$13M).  We note that free agents S Marcus Epps and DT Jerry Tillery didn't help the cause the way his offensive choices did.  (He'll need to get lucky at OG, too.)

This is a tightrope.  Chances are good the Raiders won't make the playoffs but they'll be ten rungs away from the Caleb-Maye sweepstakes. The good news?  Odds are that one of 2024's tertiary QBs will be at least as promising as Levis-Hooker.