The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

Richardson at 7

Just now, BayRaider said:

Not really. We will only look like clowns if we pick Top 3. Caleb and Maye are going 1 and 2 with no trades unless it’s the Bills, Bengals, Chiefs, Chargers, or Eagles. No trade package will get a team to budge off Caleb or Maye, not even 5 1st’s. 

This is massive hyperbole. I'd much rather give up 3 1sts next year to move up from 8 to 2 than I would to spend almost that to get Richardson. Especially when a surprise team with a young qb could be picking that high next year, as often happens. Arizona could be that team with Murray likely injured for half the year.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

And if he pans out you look like a genius. You can’t win if you’re afraid to play the game 

It's not the player, it's the cost. I would do 2 1's for Stroud/Young because they have high ceilings and much higher floors than Richardson.

If he doesn't pan out, you miss the chance to build a complete playoff team on paper with a strong DL/OL/secondary. And I hate Jimmy.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Richardson at 7

This is massive hyperbole. I'd much rather give up 3 1sts next year to move up from 8 to 2 than I would to spend almost that to get Richardson. Especially when a surprise team with a young qb could be picking that high next year, as often happens. Arizona could be that team with Murray likely injured for half the year.

It’s not hyperbole. No team would have budged off Lawrence even for 5 1st’s. Same for Maye/Caleb. If you think a team is accepting a trade offer from 8 to 2 next year, you’re just a naive fan. 

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That sounds atrocious. No way I'm giving up all of our premium draft picks this year and next year to move up for Richardson.

Yeah, firm HELL NO for me. I don't care how much upside a guy has. 

Besides, when has a team given up the house to move up for a QB and not looked like fools shortly thereafter? Now, take those rare occasions it doesn't and find the one where they took a huge project QB. Never gonna find it. It's a unicorn. 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

It’s not hyperbole. No team would have budged off Lawrence even for 5 1st’s. Same for Maye/Caleb. If you think a team is accepting a trade offer from 8 to 2 next year, you’re just a naive fan. 

So if Arizona is sitting there at 2, they will dump kyler?

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we give up a first next year to move up for AR15 and pick top 10, we are gonna look like such clowns.

Meh. Chances are Richardson won't see the field regardless so it's not like he is the reason we are a losing team. 

Fwiw I am down to move up for Richardson but our 1st next year is off the table imo. I'd move our 2nd this year and 2nd next over our 1st.

If we draft AR15 and truly suck to a top 2 pick, we either trade the pick for a historical return to a team wanting Williams/Maye or we trade off Richardson for a ransom too. 

Win/win, just do not trade our 24 1st imo.

• Like 1

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Meh. Chances are Richardson won't see the field regardless so it's not like he is the reason we are a losing team. 

Fwiw I am down to move up for Richardson but our 1st next year is off the table imo. I'd move our 2nd this year and 2nd next over our 1st.

If we draft AR15 and truly suck to a top 2 pick, we either trade the pick for a historical return to a team wanting Williams/Maye or we trade off Richardson for a ransom too. 

Win/win, just do not trade our 24 1st imo.

Literally look at what they're saying. They want to trade our 2024 1st. That's absolutely horrible.

• Like 1

It's not the player, it's the cost. I would do 2 1's for Stroud/Young because they have high ceilings and much higher floors than Richardson.

If he doesn't pan out, you miss the chance to build a complete playoff team on paper with a strong DL/OL/secondary. And I hate Jimmy.

The Chiefs and Bills both traded up for the third QB that was raw but had elite tools.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Richardson at 7

This is massive hyperbole. I'd much rather give up 3 1sts next year to move up from 8 to 2 than I would to spend almost that to get Richardson. Especially when a surprise team with a young qb could be picking that high next year, as often happens. Las Vegas could be that team with Jimmy likely injured for half the year.

FIFY

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And if he pans out you look like a genius. You can’t win if you’re afraid to play the game 

Yes, you have to swing for the fences. Conservative franchises get nothing. You take risk, that’s how you win championships. It could end horribly, it could end with multiple championship. Swing big. Barry Bonds like swing. With extra steroids. 

If you think we are competing with KC without a superstar QB, you’re crazy.

So if Arizona is sitting there at 2, they will dump kyler?

How is this even a question? Of course they would. Cowboys would drop Dak. Dolphins would drop Tua. Etc. 

Literally look at what they're saying. They want to trade our 2024 1st. That's absolutely horrible.

Personally I wouldn’t want to trade our first next year. But if you’re committing to building around Richardson then you’re out of the Caleb sweepstakes anyways