Another TE Project

LoganF89

So according to yardbarker and a couple other sources it seems that Antonio Gandy-Golden will be switching to TE, their was some speculation as there were some pictures of him doing TE drills and blocking in camp.

per Keim Golden put on quite a bit of muscle in the offseason and people took notice. I want to say he was around 225 when we drafted him an 6’4”

this is interesting bc he was a pretty decent blocker as a WR and with Logan Thomas possibly still slow out the gates it may give him a chance to make the team. He ran a 4.60 40 time which isn’t too good for a WR but pretty good for a TE. He could take advantage of some LBs

I wish I could find what he is weighing now. The average size for a TE from what I have researched is 240-245 so if we can guess he’s around 235 now then we have something to work with. If he can prove he is capable of blocking I think he could push to make the team over Reyes who I don’t think has the hands to make it. Only thing that worries me is that we drafted Turner who is basically a pass catcher. We would really need AGG to become a solid blocker

Does anyone know what AGG is weighing in at?

20 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Waste of coaching and reps.  You have to know when to move on from a player.

Yup. Not many players can make the switch to TE and be successful. I would rather have a guy who has played the position in college 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. Not many players can make the switch to TE and be successful. I would rather have a guy who has played the position in college 

Counterpoint. We just had a solid contribution from RSJ. 

• Like 1

As the long time posters in here know, I’ve been calling for AGG or preferably Harmon to be moved to TE for over a year & for Harmon since after his rookie year when Cooley said they should move Harmon to TE for the 2020 season bc he doesn’t separate well vs NFL corners & at the time he was the teams best inline blocker - even better than the other TEs like Vernon Davis & Jeremy Sprinkle.

I’m sure AGG will still end up on the practice squad, but this is worth a shot bc it definitely wasn’t working out at WR.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

As the long time posters in here know, I’ve been calling for AGG or preferably Harmon to be moved to TE for over a year & for Harmon since after his rookie year when Cooley said they should move Harmon to TE for the 2020 season bc he doesn’t separate well vs NFL corners & at the time he was the teams best inline blocker - even better than the other TEs like Vernon Davis & Jeremy Sprinkle.

I’m sure AGG will still end up on the practice squad, but this is worth a shot bc it definitely wasn’t working out at WR.

I also wanted Harmon to move over to TE, he’s an amazing blocker, but from the pod I listened to it said that Harmon did not want to move over to TE. Which is actually a shame bc I think he has the skill set to carve out a roll there with more weight

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Counterpoint. We just had a solid contribution from RSJ. 

Counterpoint.  Did we really use a 4th rounder on a guy that needs to change positions?  Seems like a bad pick. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Counterpoint.  Did we really use a 4th rounder on a guy that needs to change positions?  Seems like a bad pick. 

How many 4th rounders end up starting ? 1 of 3 probably less than 1 of 4 . We took a shot- didn't work out . C'est la vie .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Can be both. Pick was a bust (especially with how many people called it a steal), but he could make it as a TE. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Aka, not everyone can be Niles Paul but it’s worth a shot this off-season to see what happens.

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I told you all it was a bad pick on draft day. I never liked the pick, he was taken too early, we should’ve drafted a TE, LB or CB instead of him. I do hope he works out at TE but I have my doubts.

6 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I also wanted Harmon to move over to TE, he’s an amazing blocker, but from the pod I listened to it said that Harmon did not want to move over to TE. Which is actually a shame bc I think he has the skill set to carve out a roll there with more weight

It shouldn’t be what Harmon wants to do. Our coaches are soft as butter. Last off-season they let Landon Collins dictate to them the position he was going to play (SS instead of WLB) now they’re letting a practice squad guy say not switching positions? That’s not good if it’s true and they’re allowing it.

Edited by turtle28

50 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It shouldn’t be what Harmon wants to do. Our coaches are soft as butter. Last off-season they let Landon Collins dictate to them the position he was going to play (SS instead of WLB) now they’re letting a practice squad guy say not switching positions? That’s not good if it’s true and they’re allowing it.

Although with Harmon, he isn't really all that big.  He is 6'2".  The coaches clearly want really tall TEs so not sure Harmon fits what they want.  But he would be one of our bigger WRs and it doesn't hurt to have a decent sized WR who can block.