Clowney resigns. 1 year 11M

sdrawkcab321

I said it in the NFL News thread, but I’ll say it here too. This one year deal made too much sense for both parties, but I really like Wright as the eventual replacement to Clowney. Feel like going to a smaller school hurt his stock along with the bench press injury which stopped him from being able to test. He was better than where he was ranked on the consensus board. 

Was really happy for Cory (who put me into him last year) he got his guy. I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on him when watching your games this year. 👌🏻

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I said it in the NFL News thread, but I’ll say it here too. This one year deal made too much sense for both parties, but I really like Wright as the eventual replacement to Clowney. Feel like going to a smaller school hurt his stock along with the bench press injury which stopped him from being able to test. He was better than where he was ranked on the consensus board. 

Was really happy for Cory (who put me into him last year) he got his guy. I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on him when watching your games this year. 👌🏻

I really love his frame and potential. We want bigger DE’s.

In our draft class, I’m excited about him, Perrion Winfrey, and Cade York.

Joe Woods should be celebrating tonight too. His entire defense revolves around Garrett + Clowney.

We badly need a young guy to step up as a 3rd pass rusher.

Josina gave some updates (nothing serious).

Edited by candyman93

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

In our draft class, I’m excited about him, Perrion Winfrey, and Cade York.

Yeah, I really liked the value of the Winfrey pick. Probably the best value you got in the draft, even if he isn't a great run defender which is more of what you guys probably could've used at DT. The upside he has as a pass rusher is hard to deny and I'm sure it made it hard to pass on him there. Would've really loved for you guys to take Travis Jones instead of Martin Emerson with 68 overall instead of seeing him go to the Ravens.

I didn't love the value on the trade back from 44 (I think it was?) with how far you moved back (close to a full round) and taking Emerson. Not saying he's bad or anything, but I just didn't really love that choice position wise or the trade back. I would've thought Berry could get better value and a better player there.

The York pick was probably the one of the lesser picks value wise, but I'm not gonna lie to you I was sick of having to hear my dad tell me every weekend about how bad the Browns kicking situation has been for years now. Things really fell off when Dawson left. Cade was by all accounts the best kicker in the draft and you guys have been misssing that component dearly for years, so I understood reaching to secure him with all that said. 

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I really love his frame and potential. We want bigger DE’s.

Yeah, Wright is pretty young coming out for a small school guy and I think the growth potential is there with his frame and polish.

I liked that you got a bigger DE that can kick inside on passing downs like Clowney can. Wright did a lot of good work there w/ that arm over like in that clip. Clowney and Garrett are two good vets for him to learn from and watch how they do things. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

So no excuses 13 wins yes or no

Depends on Watson's suspension honestly.

I think if he isn't suspended this year and he starts every game, then 12 or 13 wins is in the realm of possibliity for sure.

I'm guessing he is suspended at least the first 4 weeks of the season just based off looking at how easy your guys schedule is to start the year with games @ CAR week 1, vs. NYJ week 2, vs. PIT week 3, and @ ATL week 4. I think Brissett with this Browns team can get you to at least 2-2 and probably 3-1 with that schedule. I don't think the easy start for Cleveland was an accident by the NFL. Just like I don't think the Cardinals very easy early schedule to start the year with Hopkins suspended the first 6 weeks was an accident either. 

If the suspension is 6-8 games this year, then I don't see a world where the Browns are 13-4 this season, but I don't think that's really a big deal. The move for Watson is about upgrading in the short term, but even more so the long term. With what he's shown so far I trust Berry going forward and think he'll keep building upon this year. Even if Watson is suspended with that easy early start I can definitely see you guys still cracking double digit wins and a playoff birth. If Watson didn't have an incoming suspension I would probably be rolling with you guys or the Ravens to win the division this year. I still really like the Bengals, but they have a 1st place schedule now and I feel like we'll see at least some regression.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Depends on Watson's suspension honestly.

I think if he isn't suspended this year and he starts every game, then 12 or 13 wins is in the realm of possibliity for sure.

I'm guessing he is suspended at least the first 4 weeks of the season just based off looking at how easy your guys schedule is to start the year with games @ CAR week 1, vs. NYJ week 2, vs. PIT week 3, and @ ATL week 4. I think Brissett with this Browns team can get you to at least 2-2 and probably 3-1 with that schedule. I don't think the easy start for Cleveland was an accident by the NFL. Just like I don't think the Cardinals very easy early schedule to start the year with Hopkins suspended the first 6 weeks was an accident either. 

If the suspension is 6-8 games this year, then I don't see a world where the Browns are 13-4 this season, but I don't think that's really a big deal. The move for Watson is about upgrading in the short term, but even more so the long term. With what he's shown so far I trust Berry going forward and think he'll keep building upon this year. Even if Watson is suspended with that easy early start I can definitely see you guys still cracking double digit wins and a playoff birth. If Watson didn't have an incoming suspension I would probably be rolling with you guys or the Ravens to win the division this year. I still really like the Bengals, but they have a 1st place schedule now and I feel like we'll see at least some regression.

Yes or no

My prediction he never wins 13 games in 1 year period 

• Like 1

Makes our defense so much better. Great signing. 

He had a high win rate as a rusher last year over 26% I think both Myles and Clowney compliment each other. 

I feel a lot better about our defensive end group going into this year than I did last year. Hopefully Wright can come on and Chase as well.

5 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Yes or no

My prediction he never wins 13 games in 1 year period 

Ah okay... I don't come here that often and took your post as an optimistic one, but just saw your post in NFL Gen's "Who is getting overhyped?" thread, so your previous post makes makes more sense now with this context.  I didn't see Bernie Kosar play like my dad or Otto Graham like my grandfather did who had Browns season tickets, but even without that I think its easy to say Deshaun Watson is the most talented QB the Browns have ever had. No disrespect to those guys who are the top QBs the Browns have had historically.

I'm guessing you don't like Watson the person more than the player which is understandable. I definitely wasn't jumping for joy over the idea of the Eagles trading Hurts for him even though he is a top 5-10 QB in the NFL and still really young. Like I would've understood it from a pure upgrade standpoint, but it would've kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully Watson actually shows remorse for his actions and does stuff to support women who have faced sexual abuse or something like that. Kinda like how Vick did after he got out of jail for dog fighting.

TL;DR: I'll say yes to the question. Deshaun will win 13 games at some point over this 5 year contract with the Browns and there is a good likelihood he gets another contract with you guys after this one is over to hit that 13 wins if he doesn't over the first contract. That may not what you want to hear though. I trust Andrew Berry to be great with the cap/contracts and maximizing assets. I also don't think winning 13 games is quite the same feat it was before they added an extra game. With that said, it's still a lot of wins, especially in a stacked AFC. Another factor in his favor of hitting that marker you set is I think in the near future the NFL owners will expand from a 17 game season to an 18 game season which again will only make it easier to hit the 13 wins. If that happens and he hasn't hit it maybe you'll just up the ante to 14 wins though. ;)

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Ah okay... I don't come here that often and took your post as an optimistic one, but just saw your post in NFL Gen's "Who is getting overhyped?" thread, so your previous post makes makes more sense now with this context.  I didn't see Bernie Kosar play like my dad or Otto Graham like my grandfather did who had Browns season tickets, but even without that I think its easy to say Deshaun Watson is the most talented QB the Browns have ever had. No disrespect to those guys who are the top QBs the Browns have had historically.

I'm guessing you don't like Watson the person more than the player which is understandable. I definitely wasn't jumping for joy over the idea of the Eagles trading Hurts for him even though he is a top 5-10 QB in the NFL and still really young. Like I would've understood it from a pure upgrade standpoint, but it would've kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully Watson actually shows remorse for his actions and does stuff to support women who have faced sexual abuse or something like that. Kinda like how Vick did after he got out of jail for dog fighting.

TL;DR: I'll say yes to the question. Deshaun will win 13 games at some point over this 5 year contract with the Browns and there is a good likelihood he gets another contract with you guys after this one is over to hit that 13 wins if he doesn't over the first contract. That may not what you want to hear though. I trust Andrew Berry to be great with the cap/contracts and maximizing assets. I also don't think winning 13 games is quite the same feat it was before they added an extra game. With that said, it's still a lot of wins, especially in a stacked AFC. Another factor in his favor of hitting that marker you set is I think in the near future the NFL owners will expand from a 17 game season to an 18 game season which again will only make it easier to hit the 13 wins. If that happens and he hasn't hit it maybe you'll just up the ante to 14 wins though. ;)

Whow you have guts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

Yes or No....Baker Mayfield is QB of a team that wins 13 games in the future?  I'll answer for you.....No (unless he's the backup QB)

Ok your on 

Notice you did not say yes 

Silence is golden.

To be honest if he wines up with New York he will be in the playoffs before deshaun.