Monday Night Football - Panthers v Dolphins

ET80

18 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I don't disagree with you entirely.  I do think that consistency in his technique is his biggest issue.  I think we both agree he is very, very talented.  He struggled last year due to the change in scheme and how Gase wants guys to play because he wasn't consistent.  I think that this year, he has made huge strides in that regard which has made him one of the better RTs in the league.  I'm not saying he is perfect or couldn't improve.  When he is consistent with his technique, he's as good as any RT out there, but yes, he does have lapses.  

I guess our main disagreement is how often he has these lapses.  

The change of technique had to do with something Gase picked up from Manning from his years with Howard Mudd. Concerning pass pro, they went from using strictly vertical sets to playing the majority in dish sets which allow the offensive lineman to reduce distance and get a hand on the defender first, instead of the traditional two kick slides and catching the rusher. While this helped James get himself in front of the rusher on a more consistent basis, he isn't strong enough to maintain that hand position and he isn't fast enough to replace when his hands are cleared by the defender. This happens often, but he has less footwork issues here, so at least he is in front of the rusher more frequently as it requires less movement than the typical slides where he guessed too much as to where the defender was going. Now on to the Dolphins' ZBS, James' poor footwork comes back into play, especially when Miami's most popular run is the OZ, which requires good movement to the edge and getting to the second level.

James is good, above average even, but no where near a top level tackle.

54 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Which you are certainly welcome to do as much of as you would like.  

But I haven't seen any beat writer or other knowledgeable commentator who would agree with your opinion this year.  

Beat writers write what they are told to.nothing original or insightful comes from them. Same with commentators. 

1 hour ago, Carmen Cygni said:

The change of technique had to do with something Gase picked up from Manning from his years with Howard Mudd. Concerning pass pro, they went from using strictly vertical sets to playing the majority in dish sets which allow the offensive lineman to reduce distance and get a hand on the defender first, instead of the traditional two kick slides and catching the rusher. While this helped James get himself in front of the rusher on a more consistent basis, he isn't strong enough to maintain that hand position and he isn't fast enough to replace when his hands are cleared by the defender. This happens often, but he has less footwork issues here, so at least he is in front of the rusher more frequently as it requires less movement than the typical slides where he guessed too much as to where the defender was going. Now on to the Dolphins' ZBS, James' poor footwork comes back into play, especially when Miami's most popular run is the OZ, which requires good movement to the edge and getting to the second level.

James is good, above average even, but no where near a top level tackle.

@Ragnarok this guy knows his stuff. He should join BDL

Archived