Week 11: Rams (7-2) at VIKINGS (7-2)

swede700

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

If you are going to use that game, at least be honest about it. The Rams scored 14 points off of special teams plays. Meaning they put up 13 points on offense, and scored on 3 of 13 drives, gaining 249 total yards.

If we're allowed to add context, we moved the ball at will against a defense in Seattle that is similarly good to y'alls, but fluke bad plays kept us from scoring 27-30 points.

I'm happy to swap that game out with Jacksonville if we're allowing for context.

To Jerry's point, I would agree that we do not have quite the same level of defense as Jacksonville. It's close, but the Jaguars have been creating turnovers while we have not. Five defensive/special teams touchdowns compared to none for us.

On the flip side, that also means Jacksonville has had to sustain fewer long offensive drives in order to score. Not only those four defensive TDs they scored, but I believe an additional 16 total turnovers forced, compared to just 11 total turnovers forced for Minnesota. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but when Minnesota is giving up close to the same yardage and points as Jacksonville despite that turnover difference, it's something to take note of.

And in that game against Jacksonville, what did the Rams do? They won by 10, but needed two special teams touchdowns in order to do so. The vaunted Rams offense was held to 249 yards of total offense.

And Todd Gurley ran for 116 yards against what is the 25th-ranked rushing defense (120.7 ypg). The Vikings rush defense is third (81.3 ypg).

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i was responding only to your comment saying Viking fans have said it will be a blowout, we have not.

That post was in response to his accusations of what Rams fans on other sites were saying. It was simply pointing out that it goes both ways.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

If we're allowed to add context, we moved the ball at will against a defense in Seattle that is similarly good to y'alls, but fluke bad plays kept us from scoring 27-30 points.

I'm happy to swap that game out with Jacksonville if we're allowing for context.

You mean a game the Rams lost at home against a team that's traditionally much worse on the road than they are at home? Sure....

4 minutes ago, Klomp said:

To Jerry's point, I would agree that we do not have quite the same level of defense as Jacksonville. It's close, but the Jaguars have been creating turnovers while we have not. Five defensive/special teams touchdowns compared to none for us.

On the flip side, that also means Jacksonville has had to sustain fewer long offensive drives in order to score. Not only those four defensive TDs they scored, but I believe an additional 16 total turnovers forced, compared to just 11 total turnovers forced for Minnesota. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but when Minnesota is giving up close to the same yardage and points as Jacksonville despite that turnover difference, it's something to take note of.

And in that game against Jacksonville, what did the Rams do? They won by 10, but needed two special teams touchdowns in order to do so. The vaunted Rams offense was held to 249 yards of total offense.

And Todd Gurley ran for 116 yards against what is the 25th-ranked rushing defense (120.7 ypg). The Vikings rush defense is third (81.3 ypg).

You also pointed out the reasons why the Rams played the Jaguars that way. We jumped out to a lead and opted to play it safe against a team that is great at forcing turnovers. We bet on our defense getting the stops, and we were right.

The Jaguars have the best pass defense in the NFL and a vulnerable run defense, so we went to the ground and pound.

The vaunted Rams offense put up 375 yards on Seattle's D, but it did us no good because of our mental mistakes that day.

10 minutes ago, Klomp said:

You mean a game the Rams lost at home against a team that's traditionally much worse on the road than they are at home? Sure....

You got beat 26-9 by the Steelers, bro. 

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Can we just agree that this is likely going to be a very good game between two teams that match up well against each other?

That's good with me.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

You got beat 26-9 by the Steelers, bro. 

You mean the Steelers that will likely end up with home field advantage through the AFC playoffs? 

I could also point out that you lost at home to Washington, who we beat on the road.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm fine with context when it goes both ways. That's not happening right now.

Which is it? Did the Rams do really great in a game that they lost at home against Seattle because of excuse x y and z, or did the Rams beat the number 1 defense in the NFL with no context? You pick.

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Which is it? Did the Rams do really great in a game that they lost at home against Seattle because of excuse x y and z, or did the Rams beat the number 1 defense in the NFL with no context? You pick.

Neither. Let's just put it this way:

Offensive Rankings

Total offense (YPG):

Rams - 3rd

Vikings - 9th

Scoring offense (PPG):

Rams - 1st

Vikings - 10th

Defensive Rankings

Total defense (YPG):

Rams - 14th

Vikings - 5th

Scoring defense (PPG):

Rams - 3rd

Vikings - 5th

We both think the world of our teams. I'm just here to address the belief that the Rams are apparently going to be shutdown on offense, especially when said belief isn't being applied to the Vikings.

I get it. Y'all are Vikings fan, so you are optimistic about your team. I am same way. It just seems odd to me that some of y'all seem to awfully low opinions of the Rams #1 ranked offense (and don't give the same credence to the Rams highly ranked defense in the matchup against your offense). JMO. And yes, I know this is the Vikings forum.

17 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

We both think the world of our teams. I'm just here to address the belief that the Rams are apparently going to be shutdown on offense, especially when said belief isn't being applied to the Vikings.

I get it. Y'all are Vikings fan, so you are optimistic about your team. I am same way. It just seems odd to me that some of y'all seem to awfully low opinions of the Rams #1 ranked offense (and don't give the same credence to the Rams highly ranked defense in the matchup against your offense). JMO. And yes, I know this is the Vikings forum.

I'll say this.....I haven't been a believer in the Rams yet.

First of all, I just can't trust Goff for whatever reason. I won't say I trust Keenum more, but I don't consider it a wide gap at all. 

Secondly, I don't believe LA has played as hard of a schedule to get to this point. The teams LA has beaten have a combined record of 23-42 (26-37 for Minnesota), while the teams LA lost to are a combined 10-8 (13-6 for Minnesota).

Minnesota has played a softer list of QBs recently, but not as soft as Los Angeles. I know you have to play the schedule that's in front of you, but it makes a difference whether it's Blake Bortles or Drew Brees you have to win against.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong about this game and about the Rams. Maybe this is the one home dud for the Vikings like Indianapolis was last year. I don't think it will be, but it's a possibility.

Archived