Week 11: Rams (7-2) at VIKINGS (7-2)

swede700

Zimmer: “The Rams offense is no huddle, they get on the ball, snap it. Got to try and confuse them as much as possible. It will be a great test for our football team, they’ve drawn a lot of people offsides. We’re going to have to be smart about it, hopefully the crowd will help us. Should be a heck of a football game, and we’re ready to roll."

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Notebook-Rhodes-Vikings-Approaching-Sundays-Matchup-Like-Any-Other-Game/adf0eff7-229a-4b08-ba7d-d2f723419e18?sf173560495=1

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

I'll say this.....I haven't been a believer in the Rams yet.First of all, I just can't trust Goff for whatever reason. I won't say I trust Keenum more, but I don't consider it a wide gap at all. 

Honestly, this is an indefensible opinion. Keenum is a 29-year-old journeyman QB prone to streaky play who has bounced around the NFL. Goff is a 23-year-old former #1 pick at QB. Even if you want to argue that we should put no stock in that, Goff's production is significantly better than Keenum's, and his offense has been far more effective. I've seen a lot of Keenum. I've seen a lot of Goff. It's not even remotely comparable. Keenum is just too flawed of a player to ever be a long-term answer.

Secondly, I don't believe LA has played as hard of a schedule to get to this point. The teams LA has beaten have a combined record of 23-42 (26-37 for Minnesota), while the teams LA lost to are a combined 10-8 (13-6 for Minnesota).

This is a pretty weak argument. There's a negligible difference there. And Minnesota beat New Orleans before New Orleans started rolling with Sam Bradford playing a magnificent game. Bradford is on IR. New Orleans is the only win you have to hang your hat on, and even Saints fans are discounting their first two games this year. What is Case Keenum's defining win this year? Let me put it this way, what are Case Keenum's stats this year against teams with a winning record? How many PPG have the Vikings averaged in those games? The answer isn't a comforting one.

Minnesota has played a softer list of QBs recently, but not as soft as Los Angeles. I know you have to play the schedule that's in front of you, but it makes a difference whether it's Blake Bortles or Drew Brees you have to win against.

You're talking again about a negligible difference. We've played Dak, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Bortles, and Eli Manning. You've played Brees, Big Ben, Cousins, Jameis, and Stafford. There isn't a huge difference here.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong about this game and about the Rams. Maybe this is the one home dud for the Vikings like Indianapolis was last year. I don't think it will be, but it's a possibility.

Frankly, everything you've used to criticize the Rams applies just as much to the Vikings (questionable QB, weak schedule, and weak slate of passers). These teams are pretty evenly matched. The difference to me is that we have the better QB, and I fully believe in Goff in crunch time. Keenum had a real penchant for melting down late in games. That's why I feel the Rams win this Sunday. Regardless, I'm sure it's a good and entertaining game.

3 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Who said that though?

That would be the pretty obvious inference here:

7 hours ago, Frank Costello said:

Ah yes, Zimmer, who had a top 10 defense for 4/5 years in Cinncy, and again here in Minnesota, is definitely a gimmicky coach. ;) 
I know you guys are riding high off of your impressive turnaround. But the writing still isn't on the wall, or etched in stone when it comes to McVay.

I would say my point being, when you guys faced top defenses this year, the points kinda dried up. A top 10 defense, generally speaking, won't get out smarted a lot by a 31 year old rookie head coach, and a 23 year old QB. Can it happen? Of course, but common sense would tell me that there is still  A LOT to prove for both moving forward. 

What he's doing year 3 and 4 will be more impressive to me in the long run. But i have incredible respect for what he's done in the short term. 

You responded to my response to this post. It's reasonable for me to expect that you're defending the points he's making.

Just now, vike daddy said:

so was Rich Gannon. so were many successful NFL qb's.

just because you have decided his value has topped out doesn't mean it has.

Vike Daddy, that logic justifies believing in any player who has a few decent games. You're naming the few anomalies. Keenum has done this song and dance before, as I noted in this forum. He's a streaky QB. That's good to have in a backup QB, but when you start him for too long, you see the massive downside of that. Once Keenum starts to implode, it's ugly. I've seen more of him than y'all have. Trust me, a lot of Rams fans bought into him too, until they didn't.

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

can we please stop discussing with jrry about whether there are Viking fans who called the game to be a blowout?

there's no convincing him, and it's a nonsense discussion to have, in my humble view.

Why am I getting blamed for this? Why are you implying that I'm being stubborn on this point? Who has even mentioned it since I responded to your last post on this subject?

So you decided that because I objected to a poor argument in a post that I must think that the Rams are going to get blown out? Incredible mental gymnastics.

Enjoy the game this weekend. I hope your team loses an entertaining and well played game.

11 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

So you decided that because I objected to a poor argument in a post that I must think that the Rams are going to get blown out? Incredible mental gymnastics.

Enjoy the game this weekend. I hope your team loses an entertaining and well played game.

No, I thought because you stepped in and defended Frank's point that you thought the Vikings defense would keep the scoring down. I'm not sure where a blowout even comes into play here. We have two top 5 defenses playing. It's conceivable that both teams could score less than 20 points. It's also conceivable that both teams could score more than 30 points because we have two top 10 offenses also playing.

Can you really blame Jrry or any Rams fan? So far all we've heard every week and even more so this week is negatives about our team. We haven't beat anybody, our defense isn't that good, we're winning only because of special team, we're only winning because we've played bad teams, we don't believe in Goff, McVay and his offense can't succeed vs our defense and on and on. There's more time telling us what we aren't than what we actually are. Teams that don't have a win to brag about telling us we haven't beaten anybody is the funniest part. It started in the preseason and it's kept going now through 9 games. 

I think it's going to be a hell of a game but across several Vikings fans sites there are a lot of blow out the Rams predictions. Just as there are Rams fans saying the opposite. Best of luck this Sunday. 

17 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

So far all we've heard every week and even more so this week is negatives about our team.

across several Vikings fans sites there are a lot of blow out the Rams predictions.

not on this site though, on either point. keep in mind you're discussing the game with US, not random Viking sites.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

No, I thought because you stepped in and defended Frank's point that you thought the Vikings defense would keep the scoring down. I'm not sure where a blowout even comes into play here. We have two top 5 defenses playing. It's conceivable that both teams could score less than 20 points. It's also conceivable that both teams could score more than 30 points because we have two top 10 offenses also playing.

Enjoy the game. Best of luck to your team the rest of the way.

Archived