Houston Texans added as defendants in Deshaun Watson sexual misconduct civil trials

ET80

If I had to guess, the remaining 4 cases are the ones with the most provable evidence, not just 'he said she said'.  Buzbee used those 4 best cases as leverage to settle the ones he'd have a more difficult time proving.  Now he got good results for 20 clients and still has his 4 best cases he can either take to trial or get a bigger amount in settlement.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Could be a behind-the-scenes handshake deal, but the NFL is going on record to say this changes nothing.

I think if ALL cases get settled it changes the “future punishment” portion. Sure, todays doesn’t because there are still 4 remaining.

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think if ALL cases get settled it changes the “future punishment” portion. Sure, todays doesn’t because there are still 4 remaining.

Possibly 6 remaining.

24 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I have a feeling a lot of women just made a lot of money for rejecting the creepy guy at the bar who tried to hit on them.

150k was the number that was leaked per person, thats a load of cash 

$3 million total for a guy with an up front $250 million guaranteed plus whatever he’s made and stolen from Houston isn’t bad all things considered, plus his lawyer fees.

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I have a feeling a lot of women just made a lot of money for rejecting the creepy guy at the bar who tried to hit on them.

If someone at the bar takes their penis out and then purposefully moves around so that it hits you, call the police because that guy is a predator.

Just because he has money doesn't mean he is any different than the guy on the corner with the trench coat. Some people really don't seem to grasp the situation and trauma this may have caused. Imagine you are stuck in a room with a very large, extreme athlete. Imagine they do the above, but also proposition you, offer you money and they then try to coerce you into having sexual relations with them. All those things showing a continuous escalation towards something sinister and some of them being 100% illegal and wrong. Now imagine you are a female standing in the room in this situation. There is real fear there. Real possibilities that that could escalate into something else. 150,000 isn't enough probably. This guy should be in jail. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

If someone at the bar takes their penis out and then purposefully moves around so that it hits you, call the police because that guy is a predator.

Just because he has money doesn't mean he is any different than the guy on the corner with the trench coat. Some people really don't seem to grasp the situation and trauma this may have caused. Imagine you are stuck in a room with a very large, extreme athlete. Imagine they do the above, but also proposition you, offer you money and they then try to coerce you into having sexual relations with them. All those things showing a continuous escalation towards something sinister and some of them being 100% illegal and wrong. Now imagine you are a female standing in the room in this situation. There is real fear there. Real possibilities that that could escalate into something else. 150,000 isn't enough probably. This guy should be in jail. 

Not saying that didnt happen in multiple of these cases (probably around 4) and hes isnt a POS for that in which he deserves to be punished.

But to play devils advocate, do you think its okay to think a lot of these women (probably around 20) were trying to hitch their wagon to a Brinks truck in many lower level instances knowing how much money he makes? If more scaring things happened, do you not think the women would have wanted more than 150k?

If I was scarred for life and felt I was being attacked while being forced to do something against my will...I wouldn't settle for 150k. We are talking millions per women if that degree of things happened.

Edited by AkronsWitness

48 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Two things...

One, don't believe any leak as to the amount before the money actually gets paid.  It will get leaked, I doubt its already been leaked.

Two, if Watsons lawyers settled 20 cases for that small an amount when it was 100k a year ago, then they fleeced Buzbee.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not saying that didnt happen in multiple of these cases (probably around 4) and hes isnt a POS for that in which he deserves to be punished.

But to play devils advocate, do you think its okay to think a lot of these women (probably around 20) were trying to hitch their wagon to a Brinks truck in many lower level instances knowing how much money he makes? If more scaring things happened, do you not think the women would have wanted more than 150k?

If I was scarred for life and felt I was being attacked while being forced to do something against my will...I wouldn't settle for 150k. And the fact that all 20 settled for the same amount of 150k, is telling to the degree of what actually happened.

This is maybe straying a little from football, but many women don't come forward because of the shame they feel towards what happened, the embarrassment and the worry that people may think they deserved it/asked for it/ wanted it or that, they were just trying to get rich. Your statement alone is a little bit of the problem with why women may not come forward.

Do I think what you stated could be a possibility? Sure. Am I going to try to pick which 4 or 5 (etc) that may be? Nope. And if you have created a situation where you have done this to SO many women that your lawyer is telling you to settle with all of them? Well then maybe you caused that problem too. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Two things...

One, don't believe any leak as to the amount before the money actually gets paid.  It will get leaked, I doubt its already been leaked.

Two, if Watsons lawyers settled 20 cases for that small an amount when it was 100k a year ago, then they fleeced Buzbee.

True true, but thats my point--150k (hypothetically) is basically a 'okay Im sick of dealing with this go away now' level money......and all 20 women accepted. Which tells me the severity of what Watson actually did with 80% of these accusers.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

True true, but thats my point--150k (hypothetically) is basically a 'okay Im sick of dealing with this go away now' level money......and all 20 women accepted. Which tells me the severity of what Watson actually did with 80% of these accusers.

It really can't tell you that either way.

Lots of reasons why people in their situation may have taken such a deal.  We have no way of knowing short of them actually saying.

That said, if there are still 4 cases that Buzbee intends to take to trial, it means he thinks they're ironclad.  And that is very very bad for Watson.

• Like 3

Just now, Ragnarok said:

It really can't tell you that either way.

Lots of reasons why people in their situation may have taken such a deal.  We have no way of knowing short of them actually saying.

That said, if there are still 4 cases that Buzbee intends to take to trial, it means he thinks they're ironclad.  And that is very very bad for Watson.

Yup, all it takes is 1

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

Now imagine you're those women and you see a desperate NFL team basically build all these settlements into your assailants contract because football is more important than the trauma they dealt with. 

I hope he never finds his way back on an NFL field. Rules continue to not apply if you're talented. This is why so many young men have such a warped sense of entitlement. 

This crap doesn't stop until we as fans stop paying for it. Every ticket you buy to watch this scumbag is an endorsement that we collectively are "okay" with these people as long as they entertain us.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, scottishpatriot said:

So twenty down, four to go. Presumably the lead plaintiff and the other three got the offer and said no, either for more or on principle. Hats off to them. 

I wonder if this is the worst outcome for Deshaun - you give in and pay on most for non-disclosure but could still have a monster reputational fiasco with all eyes on one case. 

Agree with the second part. Regardless of what any statement says from either lawyer, settling is an admittance of wrongdoing in the court of public opinion. It's the most favourable at this stage for Watson as he obviously doesn't want the dirty laundry airing. Like you say it's the worst of both worlds though, he has 4 cases still looming over him which you'd have to assume have some pretty strong evidence to back them up and also has to overcome the perception that he has already paid off a load of his accusers.