The Jalen Hurts Thread

TheRealMcCoy

Call your shot....  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Jalen Hurts will be a top ___ QB in 2022?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/26/2022 at 06:59 AM

On 11/25/2023 at 8:37 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Jalen Hurts has won 7 straight games when he has faced a deficit of 10 or more points. That is the best streak in NFL history by a QB. Unbelievable. He seems to play better when facing adversity. Patrick Mahomes was 34-1 when having a 10+ point lead at halftime. Jalen Hurts and the Eagles with incredible comeback win in Kansas City vs Super Bowl champs

*now 8 straight wins with a deficit of 10 or more points

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I don't think you want to use a chart that has Goff as the most accurate QB and Purdy near the bottom of the league to make your point about Hurts.  Best case scenario this is jet fuel for the people that say Hurts is good when he's in the perfect situation.  Neither is a good thing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

I don't think you want to use a chart that has Goff as the most accurate QB and Purdy near the bottom of the league to make your point about Hurts.  Best case scenario this is jet fuel for the people that say Hurts is good when he's in the perfect situation.  Neither is a good thing.

😂

You'll find anything to trash him. Was a simple chart that says he's awesome with a clean pocket... Top of the league. Was for the no arm talent crew. Guess you were one of them. 

Can't just attack him when he's under pressure and use that as what he is all around. 

Awesome when clean, terrible when under pressure. Seems pretty simple to me what to do. 

1 hour ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

😂

You'll find anything to trash him. Was a simple chart that says he's awesome with a clean pocket... Top of the league. Was for the no arm talent crew. Guess you were one of them. 

Can't just attack him when he's under pressure and use that as what he is all around. 

Awesome when clean, terrible when under pressure. Seems pretty simple to me what to do. 

The Eagles have arguably the best offensive line in the league.  Argument can be made the Lions is better, soooooooio yeah.  If I'm an Eagles opponent if I've learned anything this season it's send 7 and forget it because the Eagles can't block everyone and Hurts is going to roll to his right and panic.  Also to reiterate my original point, I don't think I would use a chart that implies Goff is one of the best QB's in the NFL and Purdy is one of the worst and use that as evidence to support Hurts play this season.  We all have eyes and Hurts did not play well this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

I mean Brock Purdy is consistently inaccurate when kept clean. It's his clear weakness. He misses on a ton of gimmies. He also hits on a lot cause his offense is stacked with talent and is great schematically. Goff is a good QB if you keep him clean, but crumbles with pressure.

The graph is fine in context. Is it something that you can make sweeping claims on without more info? No. Hurts has weaknesses.... just like almost every other QB. He also has strengths. He will need to improve going forward. He will also hopefully play in a real offense going forward that will help him show that improvement. The idea that you need to strike back at anything that is remotely positive about Hurts or his play screams that you have an agenda.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I mean Brock Purdy is consistently inaccurate when kept clean. It's his clear weakness. He misses on a ton of gimmies. He also hits on a lot cause his offense is stacked with talent and is great schematically. Goff is a good QB if you keep him clean, but crumbles with pressure.

The graph is fine in context. Is it something that you can make sweeping claims on without more info? No. Hurts has weaknesses.... just like almost every other QB. He also has strengths. He will need to improve going forward. He will also hopefully play in a real offense going forward that will help him show that improvement. The idea that you need to strike back at anything that is remotely positive about Hurts or his play screams that you have an agenda.

I'm no apologist for the lack of creativity in the play calling, but why are so many of you quick to dismiss Hurts role in the downfall of the offense.  The most common complaint I've seen is the lack of hot routes.  Negating the unlikelihood of an offense having hot routes built into a 4 verts concept, what is stopping Hurts from seeing the blitz pre snap and checking out of that play to something else?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I mean Brock Purdy is consistently inaccurate when kept clean. It's his clear weakness.

I mean, imagine if he gets better.  Not sure where he can go from leading the league, but...........

While Schneidman notes that Purdy led the NFL this season in passer rating while under pressure, that isn't entirely correct. According to Pro Football Focus, the quarterback ranked fifth in that category with a passer rating of 90.2. Purdy has completed 55.8 percent of his passes for 1,278 yards, 11 touchdowns, and six interceptions while under pressure.

When the pocket is kept clean, Purdy's passer rating was an impressive and NFL-leading 125.4.

2 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

I'm no apologist for the lack of creativity in the play calling, but why are so many of you quick to dismiss Hurts role in the downfall of the offense.  The most common complaint I've seen is the lack of hot routes.  Negating the unlikelihood of an offense having hot routes built into a 4 verts concept, what is stopping Hurts from seeing the blitz pre snap and checking out of that play to something else?

Who dismissed anything? You replied to a graph that said Jalen was pretty good when kept clean and basically implied its nonsense because it rated Goff highly and Purdy poorly even though the eye test 100% backs those claims.

And ya we literally saw on Monday Jalen saw the zero blitz, checked to his blitz beater and guess what the call was..... four verts. That is the offense. I am not going to sit here and pretend that I know exactly what Jalen can or can't do at the LoS, but I fail to see how any level of incompetence is out of question after witnessing the offense this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I mean, imagine if he gets better.  Not sure where he can go from leading the league, but...........

Not sure what passer rating has to do with charting throws but ok. Like you just post bulk stats with zero context vs a graph that is only looking at the throws. For example if Purdy is in a clean pocket and throws a pass that hits a defender in both hands but he drops it and his WR catches it in mid air and runs for a TD that would be great for his passer rating but would be charted poorly in the graph. Anyone who has watched Purdy a lot this year(I have) can admit he misses on guys he shouldn't at times.

No one is saying Purdy is a bad QB lol. He had a great year and is clearly a great QB. That doesn't mean he is perfect.

10 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Jalen has his fault in the offensive issues. Mainly his inability to protect the football whilst running. 

quarterback is always 3rd to HC and OC in culpability. Nick has preached big plays. Against the blitz I believe their offense is centered around big plays. 

im sure there’s things Jalen can do better against the blitz. He can see it better. He can communicate better. But in 2022 it was consistently pointed out the eagles had issues with the blitz. Teams just weren’t ready for their RPO stuff. 

the largest thing absolving Jalen is that the coaches, specifically Nick, put Jalen and the rest of the offense behind. Straight up. They were playing at a deficit both literally and figuratively because defenses had a beat on the eagles offense. Their plays, their timing, their hot routes, their protections. Everything. 

the eagles had no counterpunch for how the league would attack them. So Kelce, Jalen everyone had to basically deal with defenses having a beat on them. 

Nick himself said their belief was to just beat people by over simplifying. It’s why their offense was basically AJ and devonta be better than the guys covering you. Nick himself said that. So that’s where Jalen gets a pass. He gets a pass that everyone in the whole world seems to think the eagles offense from a schematic level is a joke

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Who dismissed anything? You replied to a graph that said Jalen was pretty good when kept clean and basically implied its nonsense because it rated Goff highly and Purdy poorly even though the eye test 100% backs those claims.

And ya we literally saw on Monday Jalen saw the zero blitz, checked to his blitz beater and guess what the call was..... four verts. That is the offense. I am not going to sit here and pretend that I know exactly what Jalen can or can't do at the LoS, but I fail to see how any level of incompetence is out of question after witnessing the offense this year.

So you're of the opinion that is the call they have there to beat the blitz? If that is what he's been taught to go to in that scenario they should never coach again, but I have a hard time believing that is the case.  Thanks for pointing out though that he clearly does have that authority and he's not getting them into the right play.  One of the best examples was the Buffalo game when he correctly in overtime checked to the QB draw and won the game.  I guess we will find out in due time if he can be fixed, but in 3 out of 4 seasons he's been JAG.

Just now, CasperX22 said:

So you're of the opinion that is the call they have there to beat the blitz? If that is what he's been taught to go to in that scenario they should never coach again, but I have a hard time believing that is the case.  Thanks for pointing out though that he clearly does have that authority and he's not getting them into the right play.  One of the best examples was the Buffalo game when he correctly in overtime checked to the QB draw and won the game.  I guess we will find out in due time if he can be fixed, but in 3 out of 4 seasons he's been JAG.

Hey don't take my word for it take a former NFL QB's if you want to. I am not going to pretend that Dan knows the ins and the outs of the Eagles offense either, but he is also blaming coaching/the plan so it seems like my hypothesis is at least viable no?

Not really interested in playing the guessing game on this stuff though. Jalen needs to be better. The offense needs to look like an NFL level scheme as well. If both those things don't occur then the Eagles are very likely in big trouble yes.