Belichick needs Brady more than McCarthy needs Rodgers

incognito_man

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

where the defense allows fewer than 350 total yards.

Discuss.

I’d imagine many coaches... specifically any super bowl winning coach... probably have a similar stat minus their franchise QB.

Also this is how teams win without good QB play. Play great defense (the idea is fewer than 350 total yards is part of a great defensive day) and run the ball. Issue with Green Bay is week in week out they don’t practice or play this way. They have Aaron Rodgers... why practice or even run it mostly during a game???

With Rodgers the defense worries about takeaways, pressure and stealing positions as it can snowball quickly with Rodgers. They don’t play or practice with the idea of being a truly dominant defense like a Seattle does.

Without Rodgers this falls apart. The first few game after we will be bad. It’s the adjustment period and learning curve to try and transform into a running team that plays defense.

58 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I’d imagine many coaches... specifically any super bowl winning coach... probably have a similar stat minus their franchise QB.

Also this is how teams win without good QB play. Play great defense (the idea is fewer than 350 total yards is part of a great defensive day) and run the ball. Issue with Green Bay is week in week out they don’t practice or play this way. They have Aaron Rodgers... why practice or even run it mostly during a game???

With Rodgers the defense worries about takeaways, pressure and stealing positions as it can snowball quickly with Rodgers. They don’t play or practice with the idea of being a truly dominant defense like a Seattle does.

Without Rodgers this falls apart. The first few game after we will be bad. It’s the adjustment period and learning curve to try and transform into a running team that plays defense.

Bill bellichick is 11-12 with the Patriots without Brady when the defense gives up 350 or fewer yards. 

His career record is almost certainly worse when Cleveland is factored in.

It's coincidental that MM has had 24 such games in GB and BB has had 23 such games in NE. MM has outperformed BB signidicantly, however.

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Bill bellichick is 11-12 with the Patriots without Brady when the defense gives up 350 or fewer yards. 

His career record is almost certainly worse when Cleveland is factored in.

It's coincidental that MM has had 24 such games in GB and BB has had 23 such games in NE. MM has outperformed BB signidicantly, however.

Eh you're primarily comparing the 2007 Packers to 2000 Patriots, first off you have offensive rule changes in favor of 1 year not in the other and you have the vast difference in QB play. You almost have an inflation of yards in today's NFL, 350 yards in 2000 was a much bigger deal than 2007 and especially 2017. I don't think this is a very good comparison.

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

:)

This whole thing was intended just to showcase how stupid the 'argument' or 'point' about MMs record without Rodgers is.

The BB thing just kinda fell in my lap lol. But it clearly helps drive the point home.

Why is it stupid? If anything, you're the one trying to say,  "well, just ignore any games where the defense gave up over 350 yards." Those games count. Its not like MM has nothing to do with how the defense performs. He's part of the game plan all week, that includes defense. His record is what it is without Rodgers. 

Out of the games you cherry picked to bolster his record, how many of those games we won were against teams that finished 8-8 or better? Made the playoffs? Had an opposing QB who was a top 15 QB? Were against a top 20 defense? We could go all day with the variables.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

This whole thing was intended just to showcase how stupid the 'argument' or 'point' about MMs record without Rodgers is.

The BB thing just kinda fell in my lap lol. But it clearly helps drive the point home.

Anyone who expects to win consistently with a backup QB in today's NFL is irrational to me and I ignore them. Unless you have a backup like NE did sans Brady who is clearly capable of being a starter or a rare team like 2015 Denver, current MN, SEA, etc where your money is more devoted to a defense than franchise QB, you aren't winning with your backup.

Pitt isn't winning without Big Ben, Philly isn't winning without Wentz, Detroit without Stafford, LAR without Goff, etc...

20 hours ago, RoellPreston88 said:

"If Mike McCarthy doesn't have to outscore the opponent, his offense with Rodgers is actually pretty good!!!" is basically what OP said. Useless stat.

I agree. I'm trying to figure out what the point of this thread is.

I'm not sure where some of these numbers are coming from. incognito posted a 18-6 record record for McCarthy without Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers has only missed 14 games. Where are the 24 games coming from. Likewise with the Patriots, Tom Brady has missed like 19 games since becoming the starter in 2001 and the Patriots are 13-6 in those games. Where are these numbers coming from?

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It showcases how stupid everything is. Like zomg Trubs had 297 yards murder everyone. 

Capers is gone. He's gone. 

But it's not like letting Mitchell get all those yards was some failure. 

1 hour ago, strat1080 said:

I'm not sure where some of these numbers are coming from. incognito posted a 18-6 record record for McCarthy without Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers has only missed 14 games. Where are the 24 games coming from. Likewise with the Patriots, Tom Brady has missed like 19 games since becoming the starter in 2001 and the Patriots are 13-6 in those games. Where are these numbers coming from?

hm, let's do some detective work.

Archived