UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

25 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

A classic Travis Fredrick situation- everyone hates the pick but its a good one. We are now drafting 7th and could go lower with another win. Mitch looked much better today in part because of the dominant effort by the OL. The minute the game started I could tell they came to play.

If we want to set up Mitch for success we need dominant OL play at the level the Saints produce. 

I'll ague we need legit NFL WRs.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'll ague we need legit NFL WRs.

Would like to have both.

I am fine with upgrading the OL, but I am not sure about a top 10 OG, although I know that Nelson is the best player in the draft.

Based on talent

1. Quentin Nelson

2. Bradley Chubb

2. Minkah Fitzpatrick

First round I'm looking hard at a pass rushing OLB, CB, and maybe WR.

Franchising Fuller and then drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick could give us two solid corners for the forseeable future. If we bring in a blitz-heavy coordinator, having corners that can lock down their man one-on-one opens up all sorts of blitz packages for us. Might be a huge get for us.

Second round I'm gunning for a WR.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

First round I'm looking hard at a pass rushing OLB, CB, and maybe WR.

Franchising Fuller and then drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick could give us two solid corners for the forseeable future. If we bring in a blitz-heavy coordinator, having corners that can lock down their man one-on-one opens up all sorts of blitz packages for us. Might be a huge get for us.

Second round I'm gunning for a WR.

I do not think Fitzpatrick is playing CB in the NFL, but he should be in the Bears top 8.

1. Cleveland: QB Josh Rosen

2. NY Ginats: QB Darnold, Jackson, Mayfield

3. San Francisco 49ers: RB Saquan Barkley

4. Indianapolis: OLB Bradley Chubb

5. Cleveland:  S Minkah Fitzpatrick

6. Denver: QB

7. Tampa Bay: DE Arden Key

8. Chicago

In that case I am not sure what you do, reach for a WR or CB or draft an elite OG?

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think Fitzpatrick is playing CB in the NFL, but he should be in the Bears top 8.

1. Cleveland: QB Josh Rosen

2. NY Ginats: QB Darnold, Jackson, Mayfield

3. San Francisco 49ers: RB Saquan Barkley

4. Indianapolis: OLB Bradley Chubb

5. Cleveland:  S Minkah Fitzpatrick

6. Denver: QB

7. Tampa Bay: DE Arden Key

8. Chicago

In that case I am not sure what you do, reach for a WR or CB or draft an elite OG?

Trade down and draft Ridley or the Iowa corner

36 minutes ago, G08 said:

Trade down and draft Ridley or the Iowa corner

And if we can't trade down? I think Ridley is not an elite prospect to be drafting at 8. Iowa Corner I would be OK with but think what an elite OG could do for Mitch and the run game? We have no idea what injuries will do next year to Josh Cody or Kyle. We need a very clean pocket for Mitch to improve and take a leap in year 2.

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

And if we can't trade down? I think Ridley is not an elite prospect to be drafting at 8. Iowa Corner I would be OK with but think what an elite OG could do for Mitch and the run game? We have no idea what injuries will do next year to Josh Cody or Kyle. We need a very clean pocket for Mitch to improve and take a leap in year 2.

I think in the top 10 there is always a window to trade down, it might only be two or three spots but there typically are deals out there.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I think in the top 10 there is always a window to trade down, it might only be two or three spots but there typically are deals out there.

Lets say you cannot. Or the value sucks.

I love Ridley, but I am not super excited to jump into the 1st round WR pool.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Lets say you cannot. Or the value sucks.

I love Ridley, but I am not super excited to jump into the 1st round WR pool.

At the end of the day, though, assuming you can't make a deal, isn't it more about getting the player that you want, and less about the value? There are a few guys that come to mind that fit this mindset -- Bruce Irvin to Seattle, Ronnie Stanley, Jack Conklin, Travis Frederick, Odell Beckham Jr... of course, in hindsight a lot of these were the right pick, but at the time these picks were made, there were "higher rated" guys available, or it was "poor value". 

What I want most is for Pace to identify the player that is going to offer this team the most significant improvement. If he can get a "good value" in the process, great. If not, it really isn't going to upset me.

3 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

At the end of the day, though, assuming you can't make a deal, isn't it more about getting the player that you want, and less about the value? There are a few guys that come to mind that fit this mindset -- Bruce Irvin to Seattle, Ronnie Stanley, Jack Conklin, Travis Frederick, Odell Beckham Jr... of course, in hindsight a lot of these were the right pick, but at the time these picks were made, there were "higher rated" guys available, or it was "poor value". 

What I want most is for Pace to identify the player that is going to offer this team the most significant improvement. If he can get a "good value" in the process, great. If not, it really isn't going to upset me.

Exactly... get your guy, unless his name is Kevin White.

We have glaring needs at OLB, CB, and WR. We can use talent upgrades at OT/OG and ILB. There will be someone there with our pick that we can use.

23 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

This is where I'm at, personally....

I'm less concerned if Ridley is a better WR than Minkah is a Safety (IE the pure "Best Player Available" argument)...... Than I am concerned if Ridley (for example) has the talent to play in the NFL like a first round draft pick/become a #1 receiving option for us (or maybe a better metric would be a #1 receiving target on a team with a decent WR corps)

I haven't done any deep dives into draft prospect tape yet, and probably won't have the same amount of time to do so like I did last year, but just going off the descriptors Ridley's positives seem pretty in line with what we need: Good/Great Route Runner, with some speed, agility and sure hands...  That's exactly what we need on this roster, TBH.... because none of our current guys can do all of that (get open consistently via good route running, go deep with speed, and you know, actually catch the damn ball).  The downside, however, is powerfully scary in that his smaller frame could make him an injury risk, and we can ill afford another Kevin White scenario.... I'd add that the majority of the other WR prospects all seem to be "big bodies", but we already have tools that can cover that style of play,  and that helps Ridley stand out on paper (again, this is without seeing film on all of them)

That's not saying we should absolutely key in on Ridley, because I'd be taking a very deep dive on all the top guys, just using him as a prime example since it's a position of high need.

I don’t care where the Bears pick. Just pick a good player. People are losing their mind because the Bears slipped three draft positions yesterday. The bulk of this roster was assembled during the Fox era and they need to start winning to gain some confidence.

Is it really worth taking a WR high in the 1st? The hit rate over the past four drafts has been so bad, with pretty much Odell and Mike Evans as the only two difference-makers.

Normally I'm on the side of wanting to lose games once we are eliminated from playoff contention, but this year surprisingly it's different for me. I really want Mitch Trubisky and our younger players to experience winning together. Sure, it will cost us draft position but I think they need it to justify the hard work that they have been putting in day-in-and-day-out.

@IronMike84 I don't like taking a WR in the first round unless their name is Julio Jones. Give me an OLB/CB for this roster.

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

Normally I'm on the side of wanting to lose games once we are eliminated from playoff contention, but this year surprisingly it's different for me. I really want Mitch Trubisky and our younger players to experience winning together. Sure, it will cost us draft position but I think they need it to justify the hard work that they have been putting in day-in-and-day-out.

@IronMike84 I don't like taking a WR in the first round unless their name is Julio Jones. Give me an OLB/CB for this roster.

Are there any OLBs outside of this Chub guy that we can get? I Just don't see anyone that screams elite outside of Chub and Fitzpatrick.

Just now, Nads786 said:

Are there any OLBs outside of this Chub guy that we can get? I Just don't see anyone that screams elite outside of Chub and Fitzpatrick.

I think @pigsooie5 mentioned it in another thread but Arden Key is one and Clelin Ferrell is another. Harold Landry as well.

Archived