UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Matt Speigel on the Score made an interesting comment. He spoke to a friend who is an NFL assistant coach who said,

1. Everyone in the NFL knows the Bears job is going to open up and people are already preparing.

2. With no McVay or Shannahan this year it is going to be a wide open market and really hard to predict who will end up where. 

Aside from Shanahan I'm not sure I'm really following point #2.

Let's be real, the majority of fans and media didn't really think of McVay as a serious candidate at this time last year, so are "they" saying there will be no one quite as qualified as him this off season or that there will be no one that comes from under the radar as much as he did last off season?

42 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Just curious which podcast you guys listen too?

I listen to bears report

PFW Chicago

Move the sticks with Jeremiah and buck brooks

Bear Down with Rich Campbell and Dan Wieder and then the Hoge and Jahns WGN podcast. 

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Let's be real, the majority of fans and media didn't really think of McVay as a serious candidate at this time last year, so are "they" saying there will be no one quite as qualified as him this off season or that there will be no one that comes from under the radar as much as he did last off season?

I agree with you about McVay I didn't know who he was and thought it was just another Rams hiring, but I was all aboard the Shanahan train last off season.  This season I really don't know who I would like yet.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The problem with signing an interior OLmen is that you won't be saving money.

You will be replacing an 8 million dollar player [Sitton] with an 8-9 million dollar player.

I think we can pick up a very solid interior linemen for far less than that.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think we can pick up a very solid interior linemen for far less than that.

The average for a tier 1 starting interiors OLmen is going to run around 8 million.

If you are spending less you are probably not getting a player nearly as good as Sitton.

Linsley will make close to 10 million/year.

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

McVay was a hot name last year and arguably landed the top job that was available.

His point was that it is really going to be who a team likes. Last offseason everyone wanted an interview with Shannahan and McVay, this year it is going to be a more clumped pool of candidates.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The average for a tier 1 starting interiors OLmen is going to run around 8 million.

If you are spending less you are probably not getting a player nearly as good as Sitton.

Linsley will make close to 10 million/year.

I highly doubt guys like Linsley are making $10 million a year.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

McVay was a hot name last year and arguably landed the top job that was available.

His point was that it is really going to be who a team likes. Last offseason everyone wanted an interview with Shannahan and McVay, this year it is going to be a more clumped pool of candidates.

Really? Because the only two teams I heard that interviewed McVay were Rams and 49ers.

My point was that he was flying under the radar at this time last year and that no one was really talking about him until we heard of the two teams that interviewed him after the season was over.  

No one can sit here and say that they knew McVay would be a hot name in the coaching search last year and end up being a great hire.  Isn't it always who a team likes when they interview a guy anyway?

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I highly doubt guys like Linsley are making $10 million a year.

The market for top interior players is in the 8.5-9.5 range.

The market is also going to be full of cash.

My guess is Linsley gets about 4/36 if he leaves GB and hits the market.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Really? Because the only two teams I heard that interviewed McVay were Rams and 49ers.

My point was that he was flying under the radar at this time last year and that no one was really talking about him until we heard of the two teams that interviewed him after the season was over.  

No one can sit here and say that they knew McVay would be a hot name in the coaching search last year and end up being a great hire.  Isn't it always who a team likes when they interview a guy anyway?

The point was there is not top guy this year that multiple teams will be fighting for.

He also said that most assistants in the NFL don't think McDaniels is going to leave NE, which is interesting.

Could be a good thing for the Bears, not having to compete for a guy with NYG and Indy.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The market for top interior players is in the 8.5-9.5 range.

The market is also going to be full of cash.

My guess is Linsley gets about 4/36 if he leaves GB and hits the market.

I think the likes of him and Long are more looking at 4 years $26.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The point was there is not top guy this year that multiple teams will be fighting for.

He also said that most assistants in the NFL don't think McDaniels is going to leave NE, which is interesting.

Could be a good thing for the Bears, not having to compete for a guy with NYG and Indy.

I don't believe that there isn't a top  guy more than one team will like but agree that'd be a good thing for Bears if so.

If Bears are interested in Nagy then have to think Colts will be as well.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I think the likes of him and Long are more looking at 4 years $26.

Even at that you are saving 1.5 million over Sitton.

I am not sure they will shift the line for that amount.

My guess is we will see another mid round pick and maybe an experience back up added on the interior.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The problem with signing an interior OLmen is that you won't be saving money.

You will be replacing an 8 million dollar player [Sitton] with an 8-9 million dollar player.

The player doesn’t have to be better than Sitton - just comparable. If I can get rid of Sitton and sign, say, Ryan Jensen at the same price but 6 years younger and the impact on the field is a push then that’s a WIN in FA. 

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

I don't believe that there isn't a top  guy more than one team will like but agree that'd be a good thing for Bears if so.

If Bears are interested in Nagy then have to think Colts will be as well.

He was saying that there won't be teams that race out and have to have someone.

Shannahan got 6/36 out of the 49ers which is unheard of for a first time coach.

Archived