UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

6 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

Something that's a little concerning, McDaniels was seen as the leading candidate for the 49ers job when he abruptly withdrew his name from consideration the week of the AFC Championship game. If we were to wait on him and all the other candidates sign elsewhere, then McD withdraws himself, it would leave us up a creek. 

It was reported on Jan 18, more than 2 weeks before the SB, that Dan Quinn had agreed in principle with ATL to be their HC. So it's certainly possible something like that can happen whether it's McDaniels or Shurmur. 

This process should be interesting.

The way I heard it is that he caught wind that the 49ers were more interested in Shanahan so he withdrew his name from consideration. The other thing I heard was that he got cold feet because he didn't want to be so far away from his family/up-root them literally across the country.

People that are a ton closer to the situation than any of us have said that they feel like if he is offered a job and he likes the fit this time around, he's going to take it.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

David Kaplan

Matt Nagy's offensive scheme fits us the best as well I think. Kareem hunt reminds me of Jordan Howard. I also think his offensive is easier on the OL. My fear with Flip is he may put Mitch in a position to take a bunch of unnecessary hits.

42 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Chiefs offense is the one I am the most interested in replicating.

1. It uses QB mobility well
2. It is super diverse and creates a lot of defensive confusion

Nagy is one of my favorites because of the way he incorporated a lot of the college stuff (RPO's) into Reid's offense.  I think he could cook up some pretty interesting stuff with Trubisky at QB and Cohen all over the field.

I think any coach that we hire will modify his offense based on the players he has, at least that’s is my guess to what any smart coach would do. Iwell he looking to see if the Chiefs stumble like usual in the playoffs or with Nagy calling plays they remain aggressive and not predictable.

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Schefter said on ESPN 1000 he expects McDaniels to coach elsewhere than Chicago.

I think Pace is going to narrow it down to DeFilippo, Shurmur, Nagy.

I think Shurmur is the safe pick, I think DeFilippo/Nagy is the homerun swing.

44 minutes ago, Pdogg said:

I think any coach that we hire will modify his offense based on the players he has, at least that’s is my guess to what any smart coach would do. Iwell he looking to see if the Chiefs stumble like usual in the playoffs or with Nagy calling plays they remain aggressive and not predictable.

Don't you remember Mike Martz just running 7 step drops and watching Cutler get crushed?

Rapoport just said that he thinks DeFilippo and Shurmur are the two he thinks will be our next head coach. Not a prediction, he said, but more based on what he believes the Bears are looking for and what he sees in the field of potential candidates.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Rapoport just said that he thinks DeFilippo and Shurmur are the two he thinks will be our next head coach. Not a prediction, he said, but more based on what he believes the Bears are looking for and what he sees in the field of potential candidates.

Shurmur is going to be really tough to sell to the fans. The line is going to be, “we’re getting a former Browns coach?!”

Of the four offensive candidates, I think the easiest sells, in order, are: Nagy, DeFilippo, McDaniels, Shurmur.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

Shurmur is going to be really tough to sell to the fans. The line is going to be, “we’re getting a former Browns coach?!”

Of the four offensive candidates, I think the easiest sells, in order, are: Nagy, DeFilippo, McDaniels, Shurmur.

It's a boring hire, in my opinion, but it is near impossible to discount what an insanely great job he has done this season. Plus, it would make @gopherwrestler cry which is always a good thing! :D

Just now, G08 said:

It's a boring hire, in my opinion, but it is near impossible to discount what an insanely great job he has done this season. Plus, it would make @gopherwrestler cry which is always a good thing! :D

Haha, I might not cry, but I would be upset.

his offensive style just fits well here in Minny, and probably would there also with your defense improving. Probably just don't want to lose to him either in the division!

17 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Haha, I might not cry, but I would be upset.

his offensive style just fits well here in Minny, and probably would there also with your defense improving. Probably just don't want to lose to him either in the division!

Every now and then Minnesota-nice is just nice, appreciate your visiting and best of luck in playoffs and beyond, buddy

Archived