UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have figured out my problem with Shurmur and the Bears. Ryan Pace has taken risks as GM, which I have appreciated. The one really “safe” move he made was Fox. Shurmur just strikes me as a nice safe hire.

Its hard to call Shurmur safe.  I think its more about there being nothing exciting about him.  Hes a 52 yo offensive minded coach with some track record of success.  Theres no wentz or goff to point to.  No exciting innovative scheme.  Hes just a good coach who missed at his first hc opportunity.  Boring is the right word.  None of that means he isnt the right pick but the fanbase isnt getting excited for him until he starts stacking wins.  Personally he is probably the one candidate i would just be meh about.

25 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Its hard to call Shurmur safe.  I think its more about there being nothing exciting about him.  Hes a 52 yo offensive minded coach with some track record of success.  Theres no wentz or goff to point to.  No exciting innovative scheme.  Hes just a good coach who missed at his first hc opportunity.  Boring is the right word.  None of that means he isnt the right pick but the fanbase isnt getting excited for him until he starts stacking wins.  Personally he is probably the one candidate i would just be meh about.

FWIW I’m guessing Seattle was pretty ? about Carroll, Jacksonville about Marrone, and of course Belichick. It’s more common than not that a retread candidate or an internal candidate will be less exciting than the next big thing coach. A Toub here would feel pretty ? to me because it would feel like a McCaskey meddling hire. Doesn’t mean it’s the wrong guy. 

38 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW I’m guessing Seattle was pretty ? about Carroll, Jacksonville about Marrone, and of course Belichick. It’s more common than not that a retread candidate or an internal candidate will be less exciting than the next big thing coach. A Toub here would feel pretty ? to me because it would feel like a McCaskey meddling hire. Doesn’t mean it’s the wrong guy. 

Casual fan love for Toub is still in high gear.

11 minutes ago, 10Gawd said:

Sure would be nice if the Titans could beat the chiefs tomorrow, though I’m not counting on it. Nagy is my clear #1 right now.

Never underestimate the impact of Andy Reid’s clock mismanagement in a playoff game.

4 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

My money is on Nagy or DeFilippo. Pace’s draft picks have been bold, his free agent signings (for better or worse) have been bold, and one of those two guys just fits that trend.

That’s what feels right to me.

22 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Listened to PFW Chicago podcast with Hub.  He was all about shermur.  Felt Nagy and Flip were a year or two away and can't forget the Denver disaster for McDaniels. 

I like hub but hes an old school guy with old school thinking.  Shurmer is what hub is used to in an nfl coach.

21 hours ago, G08 said:

I don't. Either does San Francisco: Rich Scangarello is their QB coach, spent the previous season at Wagner College. Their ST coach? Our very own Richard Hightower, special teams assistant last season.

Well he worked under Kyle Shanahan as a quality control coach in Atlanta.

With the Falcons, his responsibilities included assisting the offensive line coach with weekly run-game preparation, coordinating the defensive scout team for the offense, as well as breaking down film of upcoming opponents.

He could be just a good coach.

The Vikings have a guy like this as our QB coach, Kevin Stefanski.

Went from nothing, to now QB coach, and now going to be the leading guy for our OC job if Shurmur leaves, according to local media

Just because they have worked other at other positions, doesn't mean they cant coach QB. A good coach is a good coach.

Archived