You are the GM, if you can sign 1 free agent before training camp, who would that be?

jleisher

See the source image

Jared Cook TE is my selection.  Still productive at 35, low cost with possible high rewards.  Tonyan will not come back from his injury as much as they would like.  Will he be on the field, yes, but won't come close to past production.  Veteran Safety is my second choice.

Wish yah would have put a list out there.

And I wish the list had Rod Marinelli as an option!

But...your choice of Cook isn't bad.  It fits.  He is somewhat productive.  We have somewhat of a need.  And he should be inexpensive.

I'll take JPP as EDGE 3.  He fits too.  Kind of a need. Still somewhat productive.  Should be inexpensive.

Second choice is Will Fuller.  One year deal, vets minimum, so long as we bring him and kick those tires.

Edited by vegas492

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Wish yah would have put a list out there.

And I wish the list had Rod Marinelli as an option!

But...your choice of Cook isn't bad.  It fits.  He is somewhat productive.  We have somewhat of a need.  And he should be inexpensive.

I'll take JPP as EDGE 3.  He fits too.  Kind of a need. Still somewhat productive.  Should be inexpensive.

Second choice is Will Fuller.  One year deal, vets minimum, so long as we bring him and kick those tires.

Similar idea, but give me Justin Houston.  He has been more of a stand-up OLB than JPP, and has played ~60% of snaps the last three seasons.  Last season he played for 2 million, if he were willing to do something close to that, I would be interested.  

I would probably be keeping open communications with Bryan Bulaga or Eric Fischer.  I don't trust any of the OTs after Nijman, but I don't see them as often as the real GM.  And I am real nervous about Bakhtiari until I can see him in a game.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Similar idea, but give me Justin Houston.  He has been more of a stand-up OLB than JPP, and has played ~60% of snaps the last three seasons.  Last season he played for 2 million, if he were willing to do something close to that, I would be interested.  

I would probably be keeping open communications with Bryan Bulaga or Eric Fischer.  I don't trust any of the OTs after Nijman, but I don't see them as often as the real GM.  And I am real nervous about Bakhtiari until I can see him in a game.  

Houston all the way for me. Had a solid season last year, he'd be perfect in that third edge role that should meet him about 45% of all snaps

I'm okay with the potential over production with our OLB #3 in Garvin. Ramsey or Kingsley. We also have strong production from our primary edge guys.

I'm not okay with production over potential for our WR position. On the basis that it takes so long for a WR to kick into gear in this league, regardless of who is throwing him the ball. Hence I'd go either Julio or Fuller, the best two remaining out there at the position. Health is certainly an issue with both but they are throw the dice move that if works works changes the dynamic of the WR room, which currently has a lot of potential but very little proven production.

16 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'd rather have Houston, too.  But he got a strange tag applied to him, which means he will be more expensive than JPP.  I think Houston has $2.3M to return to the Ravens.  And if he signs somewhere else, it needs to be for more and then Houston is included in the compensatory formula.  There's a weird deadline out there of like July 22nd or something like that.

JPP, though, is truly a free agent.  Houston is more complicated. 

6 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I'm okay with the potential over production with our OLB #3 in Garvin. Ramsey or Kingsley. We also have strong production from our primary edge guys.

I'm not okay with production over potential for our WR position. On the basis that it takes so long for a WR to kick into gear in this league, regardless of who is throwing him the ball. Hence I'd go either Julio or Fuller, the best two remaining out there at the position. Health is certainly an issue with both but they are throw the dice move that if works works changes the dynamic of the WR room, which currently has a lot of potential but very little proven production.

Only issue with WR is who do you release?  I think we made our decision on a FA receiver with Watkins.

Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Rodgers, Winfree, Taylor and a whole host of others.  

I see us keeping 6.  And I don't really want to cut Rodgers or Watson or Doubs to make room for a FA receiver. 

Now, if one gets hurt in camp?  Different story.  Gimme Fuller.  I'll roll the dice on his health and other issues over an aged Julio.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I'm a little surprised Fuller is still out there at the age of 28.  Julio might be a tad long in the tooth...

7 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I guess I am a complete 180 from you.  Throw to WRs, and they will produce.  But I am super high on Watson, Doubs and Toure, and I really like Malik Taylor and Juwann Winfree as well.  I too like our edge guys, but I like the insurance there, as we play 4 of them pretty significant numbers of snaps.  

Houston would be a great fit as a reliable No. 3 EDGE, but the UFA tender complicates matters. If Houston does not sign with another team by July 22, the Ravens have exclusive rights to resign him and would owe him 110% of his 2021 compensation (which I believe was about $2m). So you'd probably have to offer him at least amount to pry him away from Baltimore. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Houston would be a great fit as a reliable No. 3 EDGE, but the UFA tender complicates matters. If Houston does not sign with another team by July 22, the Ravens have exclusive rights to resign him and would owe him 110% of his 2021 compensation (which I believe was about $2m). So you'd probably have to offer him at least amount to pry him away from Baltimore. 

I know Houston is more complicated than a typical FA, but if you could land him for $2.5M for the season, I think that would be a pretty good signing.  Dude still has it, especially if he is EDGE 3.  

I'm not sure if there is much of a run defender there anymore, so spot starting him could be an issue.

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I know Houston is more complicated than a typical FA, but if you could land him for $2.5M for the season, I think that would be a pretty good signing.  Dude still has it, especially if he is EDGE 3.  

I'm not sure if there is much of a run defender there anymore, so spot starting him could be an issue.

You'll get no disagreement from me. Houston and Tartt were at the top of my remaining FA list for a while now. Tartt is gone, but Houston would be a very smart addition by Gute. I know they probably want to get a better look at some of the young guys at EDGE behind Smith/Gary but there's always room for a wily veteran and Houston still has some juice left.