Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

I wouldn't go for Simmons personally, I would go for Embiid.  I think Simmons needs a much more specific team around him to be successful and the Cavs would have nothing that would be needed after any trade for him.  Embiid would fit into just about any sort of roster composition and the Cavs would be closer to putting the required team around him.  

1 minute ago, Raves said:

I wouldn't go for Simmons personally, I would go for Embiid.  I think Simmons needs a much more specific team around him to be successful and the Cavs would have nothing that would be needed after any trade for him.  Embiid would fit into just about any sort of roster composition and the Cavs would be closer to putting the required team around him.  

Embiid isn’t in trade discussions though. He’s the much better player which is why philly would rather rebuild around him. 

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

Embiid isn’t in trade discussions though. He’s the much better player which is why philly would rather rebuild around him. 

Which is smart for them, but Simmons isn't a player that would help the Cavs considering the cost to get him.  He needs to be surrounded by 3 & D players just like LeBron, which especially after the likely pieces that would need to be sent to Philly to get him the Cavs wouldn't have anything left.  The Cavs aren't even close to being in a position to make a move for a star player as they lack the cap space to try for another star to pair with them or the assets needed to trade for them without gutting the team.

The absolute earliest, and best chance, the Cavs should look to add a player like Simmons through a trade is the upcoming trade deadline.  

23 minutes ago, Raves said:

Which is smart for them, but Simmons isn't a player that would help the Cavs considering the cost to get him.  He needs to be surrounded by 3 & D players just like LeBron, which especially after the likely pieces that would need to be sent to Philly to get him the Cavs wouldn't have anything left.  The Cavs aren't even close to being in a position to make a move for a star player as they lack the cap space to try for another star to pair with them or the assets needed to trade for them without gutting the team.

The absolute earliest, and best chance, the Cavs should look to add a player like Simmons through a trade is the upcoming trade deadline.  

The shear amount of players it would take to acquire simmons would open up space for more players. And if not this coming year it would be the next. Almost everyone is off the books. 

15 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The shear amount of players it would take to acquire simmons would open up space for more players. And if not this coming year it would be the next. Almost everyone is off the books. 

Love won't be involved in the trade, they won't take his contract especially with the financial state the league will be in due to Covid.  That means we'll still have Love, Nance, Cedi and Simmons on the books.  Probably nothing else.  A trade for Simmons would probably be Garland, Sexton, KPJ, our 1st this year and next year at a minimum.  So that means the roster would be Simmons/Windler/Osman/Love/Drummond.... yeah Simmons would be asking for a trade before the ink was even dried on the trade.  Plus who would even want to sign with the Cavs even if they cleared the cap space and only had Simmons on the roster of any worth?  Dallas, Memphis, Atlanta, and several other teams will not only have as much or more cap space, but potentially better overall rosters to sign players to.

So like i said the earliest the Cavs should even consider looking to add a player like Simmons or other star is at the trade deadline.  At that point we'll see how Garland looks with half a year of being fully healthy, KPJ will almost assuredly get more playing time based on what he showed this year and give us a better idea there, Sexton I expect to continue to improve at the same rate that he has since it's just what he does, we'll get to see what kind of impact Windler can have, not to mention how the team looks with Drummond for an extended period of time.  That's not even adding in whatever player we draft with our top 6 pick does.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

Well, if they would consider that equal value why wouldn't we just keep what we have?

That's my personal choice for this upcoming year.  We don't have a roster that gutting it outside of a few players would make us a contender.  I also don't know if they would consider it equal value, but it might be the best offer they would get if they were dead set on trading Simmons.  I honestly don't think Simmons gets moved without another player of his caliber, or close to it, being moved at the same time.

We need to see what we have on this roster and if we have enough to trade for a #1 option, or end up having someone develop into a #1 this season, while also still having a legit #2 option still on the roster after moving those assets.

11 hours ago, Raves said:

That's my personal choice for this upcoming year.  We don't have a roster that gutting it outside of a few players would make us a contender.  I also don't know if they would consider it equal value, but it might be the best offer they would get if they were dead set on trading Simmons.  I honestly don't think Simmons gets moved without another player of his caliber, or close to it, being moved at the same time.

We need to see what we have on this roster and if we have enough to trade for a #1 option, or end up having someone develop into a #1 this season, while also still having a legit #2 option still on the roster after moving those assets.

Thats my other thing too is that people are too quick to throw all of these young Cavs guys out the door after one or two years as 19 year olds.

Watching the Suns play last night the Cavs could grow their team like they did. They drafted Booker/Ayton/Bridges/Johnson and spent a few years letting them grow and now they look legit. I dont see why Sexton/Garland/Porter/Windler/2020 1st rounder can follow the same mold and be ready to compete by 2021/2022.

I get the desire for Simmons but Im not ready to gut the entire roster of young guys we have spend the last 3 years getting to make that happen. I would much prefer to wait another year, spend 2021 developing guys and after next year go after a guy like Victor Oladipo

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats my other thing too is that people are too quick to throw all of these young Cavs guys out the door after one or two years as 19 year olds.

Watching the Suns play last night the Cavs could grow their team like they did. They drafted Booker/Ayton/Bridges/Johnson and spent a few years letting them grow and now they look legit. I dont see why Sexton/Garland/Porter/Windler/2020 1st rounder can follow the same mold and be ready to compete by 2021/2022.

I get the desire for Simmons but Im not ready to gut the entire roster of young guys we have spend the last 3 years getting to make that happen. I would much prefer to wait another year, spend 2021 developing guys and after next year go after a guy like Victor Oladipo

Agreed.  Oladipo didn't break out till his 5th year, Giannis wasn't even good starter till his 3rd year and broke out in his 4th, Nurkic was average his first 3 seasons before breaking out in his 4th, Sabonis finally broke out on his 4th year, Siakam was barely a rotation player his first two years before having a very good season his 3rd that coincided with a breakout in the playoffs, JJ Redick was barely a bench scorer for his first 7 seasons.

I think Windler has JJ Redick type potential as an average defender but great shooter/floor spacer, Sexton could easily be a perennial 6th man of the year contender, KPJ has shown flashes of being able to be a legit 2 way player, and Garland... well he did improve near the end but apparently he was still recovering from injury last season so this upcoming year will be big to see what he has.

If we really want a player of Simmons caliber, we need to let those 4 guys develop for another 1-2 years so they could potentially gain a lot more trade value.  I mean KPJ has all the tools to be a star himself, but even his scouting reports that he needed another year in college to get more of the mental game down.  Instead of getting in college he got in the NBA and his struggles haven't seemed to affect him negatively, if anything it seems like it's motivated him to try and improve even more.

I'm really interested in where we end up in the draft and who we pick.  If we fall to 5th or 6th in the draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Isaac Okoro, Deni Avdija, or Devin Vassell pick.  Okoro is the best defenisely of the 3 but needs to improve his J, Avdija is a JAT, and Vassell is a 3&D guy but might be better suited for SG due to needing more strength.  All 3 could fit into our current roster and provide an instant spark.  I also am hopeful that the Cavs are able to buy a pick or two in the later parts of the draft to go after guys like Jaden McDaniels, Jalen Smith, and Aleksej Pokuseveski.

• Like 1

Ehhhhhhhh I'm out on the Ben Simmons idea not because I don't think he's better than our young pieces, but just that I don't think he elevates us to a contender status and he'd be pretty unhappy here.  Maybe he powers us into the playoffs but with no talent and limited potential around him that could become a kind of nuclear situation quick.

19 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

MPJ turning into a star is the least surprising part of the bubble. We made a huge mistake passing on him and it was obvious at the time. 

Yep. He was the perfect pick for a team expecting to tank for another year or two. Dropped WAY lower than he would if healthy, but it wasn't an injury that had a high chance of ruining his career.

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

MPJ turning into a star is the least surprising part of the bubble. We made a huge mistake passing on him and it was obvious at the time. 

Depends on what the doctors thought of his medicals.  I mean I wanted MPJ as well, but there was a high risk there.  Also I'd want to still wait to call MPJ a star until after he is able to perform for an entire season.  I mean are we gonna start calling TJ Warren a star now as well?

42 minutes ago, Raves said:

Depends on what the doctors thought of his medicals.  I mean I wanted MPJ as well, but there was a high risk there.  Also I'd want to still wait to call MPJ a star until after he is able to perform for an entire season.  I mean are we gonna start calling TJ Warren a star now as well?

Also he was the perfect for for Denver who had a playoff team already with Jokic and Murray. They could afford the gamble on him, the Cavs could not because if you spent a top 10 pick on him with a roster that was barron and he failed--then you set the rebuild back even more.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Also he was the perfect for for Denver who had a playoff team already with Jokic and Murray. They could afford the gamble on him, the Cavs could not because if you spent a top 10 pick on him with a roster that was barron and he failed--then you set the rebuild back even more.

We drafted Sexton and we’re still rebuilding. MPJ had the highest upside by far. 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck