Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

Greatest thing I’ve read tonight. On another forum I read some cat say “ I guess I shouldn’t have given up on him so soon” 😂. Oh really? Not even a year after being behind the 8 ball for a young dude is too soon to give up on a guy?

Ooh boy the what have you done for me lately people need to get a grip. 

Edited by Bonanza23
Speaking of Garland btw

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

How the hell did they pull of the W? I stopped paying attention when they got down by 3 scores in OT and being focusing  on the raiders game. 

Creating turnovers and actually hitting shots. Its magical. This team has fully bought into giving a damn on defense and Sexton/Garland have become scrappy and not just getting pushed over on that end. Okoro's defense is as advertised--not sure how his offense fits in this year considering how many guys in front of him demand the ball. Guess we will figure that out once Drummond/Love are out of the picture and there are more shots to go around.

It seems like Garland/Sexton are learning how to co-exist. Sexton being the the aggressive scorer and Garland being more of the playmaker between the two. 

8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If Sexton was 6’5 he’d have a chance to be a superstar.

Correct, and people would stop looking at his assist numbers. He is a undersized SG. IF Garland takes the playmaking responsibility off of his plate he can be special if he just looks to get his 25/3/3 every game. The problem with him comes when they play him as a actual PG with playmaking responsibilities when thats clearly not his bag. Its like playing Osman at Center and complaining that he doesnt get 10 rebounds per game.

Edited by AkronsWitness

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Correct, and people would stop looking at his assist numbers. He is a undersized SG. IF Garland takes the playmaking responsibility off of his plate he can be special if he just looks to get his 25/3/3 every game. The problem with him comes when they play him as a actual PG with playmaking responsibilities when thats clearly not his bag. Its like playing Osman at Center and complaining that he doesnt get 10 rebounds per game.

I get your point, but rebounds are related to size most of the time. Assists are purely mental. Hell, I could become an assist wizard in the NBA if I wanted to work at it. It doesn’t require physical talent outside of being able to break down your man off the dribble and draw double teams, which he already excels at.

I don’t really frown upon Sexton and Garland’s assist totals tho. I’m more worried about their defense. That said, through the first 2 games, they’ve been awesome finds for us.

And I’m all for a post-up big, but the have to actually be good at it lol. Drummond is not a guy you draw up plays for. He’s a glass eating shot blocker that should be getting his scores off putbacks and O rebounds.

@AkronsWitness I’m ok with Love being asked to create for himself. He’s got great awareness on the floor and can create his own shot in isolation triple threat situations. 

9 minutes ago, QBIso said:

I get your point, but rebounds are related to size most of the time. Assists are purely mental. Hell, I could become an assist wizard in the NBA if I wanted to work at it. It doesn’t require physical talent outside of being able to break down your man off the dribble and draw double teams, which he already excels at.

I don’t really frown upon Sexton and Garland’s assist totals tho. I’m more worried about their defense. That said, through the first 2 games, they’ve been awesome finds for us.

And I’m all for a post-up big, but the have to actually be good at it lol. Drummond is not a guy you draw up plays for. He’s a glass eating shot blocker that should be getting his scores off putbacks and O rebounds.

@AkronsWitness I’m ok with Love being asked to create for himself. He’s got great awareness on the floor and can create his own shot in isolation triple threat situations. 

Yeah its mental but being able to see the pass, look for it and make it is a certain level of skill. Sexton often sees guys too late and doesnt have the natural feel when operating the pick and roll the way Garland does. If Garland has shown that last night was no fluke (his passing has really surprised me in a good way) then that allows Sexton to play natural SG off ball and just worry about getting buckets when they come to him.

Its the best of both worlds having Garland be the natural PG on ball and Sexton be the aggressive scorer off ball.

Drummond is just not great at getting his own shot. His version of getting his own shot is facing up to the basket and plowing through and over the guy in front of him with his size/length. I wish JB would have recognized this and started operating away from him.

Love can get his own shot here and there but I think he is now just a spot up/PnR or PnP type of guy at this point in his career. He literally did nothing but stand on the 3pt line last night shooting open 3s lol With his age and injuries I dont think hes capable anymore of taking guys down low so hes just a glorified floor spacer at this point in his career. Hope Im wrong and it was just his 1st game back last night

SIDE NOTE: I have no idea how this team is going to function when KPJ gets back. There already isnt enough shots to go around if we plan on Drummond taking 20 per game. No idea how Okoro/Porter Jr get theirs if Drummond/Love/Sexton/Garland ALL are out there taking 15+ shots per game.

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Loved his scoring at all 3 levels with efficiency. One thing I hated was he missed the easiest transition assist to Okoro ever on that first play (but saved it by draining a 3). He needs to recognize those plays better.

Besides that he’s been amazing. He could always score but he’s doing it without monopolizing the ball and his cuts and movement offball have great.

in the past his 25 and 30 points games had high opportunity costs cause be dominated the ball, ISOd too much, and the offense lost rhythm. He’s doing it in flow now. 

This rebuild is going considerably better than our last one. Garland and Sexton show considerably more promise than Waiters/Bennett/Wiggins ever did. 

Evan Mobley would be perfect in this draft class

44 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Have you guys seen Lebrons kid Bronny?

Must be borrowing his dads HGH.

Also Scotty Pippens kid can ball.

Lebron must have taken so much of it thst it’s now just engrained in the DNA and bronny is just benefiting from thst lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Loved his scoring at all 3 levels with efficiency. One thing I hated was he missed the easiest transition assist to Okoro ever on that first play (but saved it by draining a 3). He needs to recognize those plays better.

Besides that he’s been amazing. He could always score but he’s doing it without monopolizing the ball and his cuts and movement offball have great.

in the past his 25 and 30 points games had high opportunity costs cause be dominated the ball, ISOd too much, and the offense lost rhythm. He’s doing it in flow now. 

This rebuild is going considerably better than our last one. Garland and Sexton show considerably more promise than Waiters/Bennett/Wiggins ever did. 

Evan Mobley would be perfect in this draft class

I think people just expect too much of these 18-19-20 year old kids.

The NBA is a grown man’s league with few exceptions.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck