Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

32 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

Realistically, what would some potential deals you think we should go after look like? I would certainly move Love for the right deal but I don't see his market value being equal to his value to Cleveland right now

I have no clue who’s available.

A young player who’s not a foundational piece for a team who could contribute here long term.

31 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’d say given his contract he has negative value around the league. We’d have to take some some terrible contracts in order to get anything valuable for him. 

Yeah, a shorter term bad deal and a young player for a better player whose prime better matches another team’s run at a ring and frees up cap space for us long term.

11 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

If we are being honest with ourselves it’s not like we could sign a guy like Love in free agency so we might as well just keep him. He’ll probably re-sign here on a team friendly deal at the end of this contract too (ideally).

We’d be better off having the cap space and not spending 30M+ on a 30 year old the next 4 years 

46 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We’d be better off having the cap space and not spending 30M+ on a 30 year old the next 4 years 

Cap space for what? To over pay role players? To hand out even worse contracts liken jr Smith. No one will want to come to Cleveland unless they are getting paid or one of the young guys develop into a stud

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Cap space for what? To over pay role players? To hand out even worse contracts liken jr Smith. No one will want to come to Cleveland unless they are getting paid or one of the young guys develop into a stud

And what’s the advantage to having an injury prone 30 year old locked up for 4 more year for? We don’t have lebron anymore we’re not signing guys to crazy deals because they have his agent. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I think people would come to Cleveland if the situation was right.

People didn’t come here early in LeBron’s career because the team was buttcheeks around him and LBJ didn’t want to commit here himself.

Hell, for all the talk of “unfinished business”, etc., etc., LBJ came back here because we had a great situation to win and he knew it.  The narrative was for feel good BS.  Young, cheap talent, draft assets and cap space is what brought him back, not some sense of making things right or “coming home”.

You just have to hope for a similar situation.  Ideally you get more out of 3 number one picks 😬, but that’s the blueprint.

Kevin Love ain’t doing a damn thing to help us win a title here.  His value was moderate at best when we did win one, and that was 3 years ago. A soon to be 31 year old player who can’t stay healthy isn’t going to be relevant when we’re actually ready to compete.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

And what’s the advantage to having an injury prone 30 year old locked up for 4 more year for? We don’t have lebron anymore we’re not signing guys to crazy deals because they have his agent. 

We’ll have a better chance at 25 wins next season.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We’ll have a better chance at 25 wins next season.

Tanking doesn’t matter any more so actually winning some games are worth it. Lottery odds have made it actually worth it to not completely rank it. Cavs got jumped by teams who won 14 and 18 more games than they did. 

Edited by buno67

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think people would come to Cleveland if the situation was right.

People didn’t come here early in LeBron’s career because the team was buttcheeks around him and LBJ didn’t want to commit here himself.

Hell, for all the talk of “unfinished business”, etc., etc., LBJ came back here because we had a great situation to win and he knew it.  The narrative was for feel good BS.  Young, cheap talent, draft assets and cap space is what brought him back, not some sense of making things right or “coming home”.

You just have to hope for a similar situation.  Ideally you get more out of 3 number one picks 😬, but that’s the blueprint.

Kevin Love ain’t doing a damn thing to help us win a title here.  His value was moderate at best when we did win one, and that was 3 years ago. A soon to be 31 year old player who can’t stay healthy isn’t going to be relevant when we’re actually ready to compete.

Cavs only has one true offseason with Lebron, summer 2006. All the major talent wanted their own team and not team up. Allen Redd and Johnson wanted to be #1s and not #2. Cavs went crazy spending all their cap space to field the best team possible. Got Hughes who was the best FA who didn’t resigned, grabbed the best 3pr shooting guard in Damon Jones and grabbed the best 3 pt shooting big in Marshall. It’s not like year after year then Cavs stuck out in FA. After that 2006 season they never had cap space to be players. 

Trading Love for say the 25th pick isn’t going to be a game changer. Rather keep love who could benefit and help the young guys develop. Just would have to be a good deal to trade away love.  

31 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Tanking doesn’t matter any more so actually winning some games are worth it. Lottery odds have made it actually worth it to not completely rank it. Cavs got jumped by teams who won 14 and 18 more games than they did. 

You missed my point entirely.

It’s not like Love is necessary piece to building a winner.  Other than being the 3rd wheel to the greatest player of the generation and a HOF talent, he’s never manage to lead a team to any type of winning, be it here or in Minny.

Some of y’all act like we’re about to be competitive if he stays. I don’t think he really moves the needle much at all as far as wins and losses.

16 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Cavs only has one true offseason with Lebron, summer 2006. All the major talent wanted their own team and not team up. Allen Redd and Johnson wanted to be #1s and not #2. Cavs went crazy spending all their cap space to field the best team possible. Got Hughes who was the best FA who didn’t resigned, grabbed the best 3pr shooting guard in Damon Jones and grabbed the best 3 pt shooting big in Marshall. It’s not like year after year then Cavs stuck out in FA. After that 2006 season they never had cap space to be players. 

Oh I never said they didn’t try, I’m just saying they whiffed.  They took their shot on FA’s, missed and it cost them.

16 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Trading Love for say the 25th pick isn’t going to be a game changer. Rather keep love who could benefit and help the young guys develop. Just would have to be a good deal to trade away love.  

For 25 straight up?  No, neither would I. 

But let’s say 12-22 this year, a reasonably protected first rounder next year (say top 5?) and an awful contract expiring next year?  Maybe a token second rounder for ****zengiggles?  Yeah I’d think about that.

36 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You missed my point entirely.

It’s not like Love is necessary piece to building a winner.  Other than being the 3rd wheel to the greatest player of the generation and a HOF talent, he’s never manage to lead a team to any type of winning, be it here or in Minny.

Some of y’all act like we’re about to be competitive if he stays. I don’t think he really moves the needle much at all as far as wins and losses.

It’s not about being able to be the man on a playoff team or winning a playoff series but having a guy like Love is infinitely more valuable to developing  young talent. The fact is, on the open market, Cleveland would struggle to sign a guy in Love’s category of talent, to anything less than a max contract 

20 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

It’s not about being able to be the man on a playoff team or winning a playoff series but having a guy like Love is infinitely more valuable to developing  young talent.

What talent did Love help develop on Minny?  Or here?  When did this become a thing?

There are plenty of veteran players who can be had for the vet minimum who can show young teammates how to play the game.

20 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

The fact is, on the open market, Cleveland would struggle to sign a guy in Love’s category of talent, to anything less than a max contract 

Right now?  Yeah, maybe, sure. Not sure what that means though, we’re not at that stage.

We should be at the collect assets and accumulate talent stage.

39 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

The fact is, on the open market, Cleveland would struggle to sign a guy in Love’s category of talent, to anything less than a max contract 

Disagree completely.

Which is why it will be hard to dump him/his contract.

He is not worth it.