Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

15 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Wait, wuh? Like, he's not elite yet, because practically no one is coming out of college, but he's rated as highly as he is because of his potential as a do-everything wing. Passing and defense included. I don't remember seeing an iso scorer when watching him at all.

Yep. I don’t understand how he’s being labeled a volume scorer. He’s more than that. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m cool on Reddish, I have no interest in players with reputations for being both soft and unmotivated.

He’s clearly talented, but talent only gets you so far.  We need gym rats who compete without needing to be prodded.

Gym rats will only get you so far as well. 

You need talent and a coach who can actually develop the talent. JB is suppose to be a guy who can develop talent. If he is going to have that bill, I want to give him the guy with the highest potential. Didn’t get the top3 and playing it safe won’t change this team. 

• Like 1

Just now, buno67 said:

Gym rats will only get you so far as well. 

Obviously, but there are other players who are also talented but aren’t labeled as soft or lazy.

Just now, buno67 said:

You need talent and a coach who can actually develop the talent. JB is suppose to be a guy who can develop talent.

You cant develop a player if they don’t want to work, that’s kinda the whole point.  

Just now, buno67 said:

If he is going to have that bill, I want to give him the guy with the highest potential. Didn’t get the top3 and playing it safe won’t change this team. 

Neither will drafting the next Jeff Green, even in his prime.

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Prime? Lmao what prime? And not 5th overall pick good. 

Go look at that 2007 draft class. For that class Green was def top5 worthy. After green pick there were only 2 all starts. Noah and Gasol. Noah was #9 overall and Gasol was like #43

outside of RJ Zion and JA no one screams potential difference maker. Reddish has that because of his size and athletic ability. Rather take the chance on him because of his ceiling. At least he will have the size to match with Bucks

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Obviously, but there are other players who are also talented but aren’t labeled as soft or lazy.

You cant develop a player if they don’t want to work, that’s kinda the whole point.  

Neither will drafting the next Jeff Green, even in his prime.

Yeah but if JB is suppose to be the great developer of talent and motivator, he should be able to get through to CR. 

Do you want the next Jeff green not really but that isn’t Reddish’s ceiling. That be his floor. I’m sorry after the top3 there aren’t any one that is a must have. Cavs got boned again. Last year was a 5-6 man draft and this years its a 3 man draft.  

10 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Yeah but if JB is suppose to be the great developer of talent and motivator, he should be able to get through to CR. 

Sometimes I wonder if you’re serious...

As a teacher (iirc) were you able to get through to every student and get them to perform at a high level?  And when you didn’t, was it your fault?

This thread has really become an avalanche of nonsense. 

We went from wishing for Zion Williamson a couple days ago to talking up hopefully the second coming of Jeff Green. What have we become. 

I don’t really have much to add at the moment but the direction of this conversation makes me worried about the state of this franchise. 

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

This thread has really become an avalanche of nonsense. 

We went from wishing for Zion Williamson a couple days ago to talking up hopefully the second coming of Jeff Green. What have we become. 

I don’t really have much to add at the moment but the direction of this conversation makes me worried about the state of this franchise. 

I'm still sticking to my guns a few pages ago. Deal Love for a high pick or overpaid profile player while also taking on a salary, try to deal that player for whatever we can get, go in the tank again while also adding young talent, and try again in 2020 and 2021.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sometimes I wonder if you’re serious...

As a teacher (iirc) were you able to get through to every student and get them to perform at a high level?  And when you didn’t, was it your fault?

Well certain teachers are better at it. No such thing as 100% success rate in that realm. So are we going to bring that kind of mentality to drafting players.  Reddish could be considered the raw player like the lazy student, but you also have those high functioning students, who you just can get through as well. So taking the safest player might not workout as well

Now if we are taking about Mike Brown being in charge of developing Reddish, I be running for the mountains. I’d try to grab the most polished player there why so brown couldn’t screw him up. Now with JB who has spent his whole career (35+ years ) prior to this  around 18-24year,  basketball players. I would trust him a lot that he be the one to get through to the players. Now that we have JB my draft board would be a lot different since it’s a top5 pick and not top 3. 

That I would want to give JB the kid with the highest potential because maybe JB doesn’t get him to reach his ceiling but the area between the ceiling and floor would prolly still be a very good player if his ceiling could be PG and his floor Jeff Green, so what is that a Danny Granger?

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Do you guys think that these new lottery odds are going to continue for very long?  I feel like we just unfortunately became horrible at the worst possible time.

Now it means teams need to try and actually try and develop players. Because now you can still be rewarded for actually winning some games without completely tanking. NBA needs to change the draft rules than. Either allow HS kids to get drafted so you can get a Uber talented kid outside the top3 or force them to stay in college longer so you get more refined players coming out. Making them likely to be better. 

Edited by buno67

44 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well certain teachers are better at it. No such thing as 100% success rate in that realm. So are we going to bring that kind of mentality to drafting players.  Reddish could be considered the raw player like the lazy student, but you also have those high functioning students, who you just can get through as well. So taking the safest player might not workout as well

Agree to disagree then.  I can’t say I’m interested in guys who are labeled as soft before they were multimillionaires and lazy before they had more pull than their boss.

Now if we are taking about Mike Brown being in charge of developing Reddish, I be running for the mountains. I’d try to grab the most polished player there why so brown couldn’t screw him up. Now with JB who has spent his whole career (35+ years ) prior to this  around 18-24year,  basketball players. I would trust him a lot that he be the one to get through to the players. Now that we have JB my draft board would be a lot different since it’s a top5 pick and not top 3. 

Neither you nor I have literally any clue what JB will do when it comes to pro players, he’s never done it.  These aren’t kids, these are grown men who outearn him.

Do I need to make a list of all the great college coaches who’ve failed at exactly what your describing? 

What does JB know about developing talent that Coach K doesn’t btw?  It’s not like he’s lacked good coaching, he played for arguably the best ever in college and still coasted.

That I would want to give JB the kid with the highest potential because maybe JB doesn’t get him to reach his ceiling but the area between the ceiling and floor would prolly still be a very good player if his ceiling could be PG and his floor Jeff Green, so what is that a Danny Granger?

When did Jeff Green become his floor?  He could be a complete bust for all we know.  

It’s not like he’s a guy you can count on to at least be a hustle 3/D guy at a minimum.  That’s part of the issue.  

I don’t need to swing for the fences, just give me a really good starter and keep building.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck