Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

So let me get this straight, 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the NBA last year are not picking in the top 5.....this is a horrible format

Eh, it doesn’t reward tanking which is good for the game tbh.

The idea of just sending a mediocre conference USA team out on the court for a couple of years to try to tank is awful for the league from a competitive perspective.

15-20 win teams aren’t good for the league.

39 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Well pack it in. 5 is useless. This draft is weak outside of 2

Lmao useless 

I bet Milwaukee now with Giannis and San Antonio back with Kawhi wouldn’t consider those picks useless 

we don’t know **** yet 

Culver at 5 and I’m content 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 2:43 AM, Mind Character said:

I think much to spectators surprise the new draft lottery odds are going to produce some wild, unexpected results which is exactly what the NBA wants to legitimize its new lottery disincentivized higher odds. A lot of key teams will find themselves picking a lot lower than they thought.

To my surprise though there are 3 franchise, multi, year in and year out all star players (Ja Morant, DeAndre Hunter, and Zion Williamson); 3 high quality starters with a lot of upside (RJ Barrett, Jarrett Culver, and Coby White).

If we get a top 3 pick and take Morant, Hunter, or Williamson, it is a slam dunk. We're still going to get a really good player even if we pick in the top 6

This ... again...

I knew the lottery was going to get wild. Lucky for us we ended up at 5 and not 6.

I know people on here love Culver, but to me we have to be laser focused on one name and one name only at 5: DeAndre Hunter. 

Assuming Zion, Ja, and Barrett are gone. The only prospect with superstar upside is Hunter or Garland. Culver and Hachimura are solid but unspectacular next level prospects. Coby White has the highest floor but a low ceiling. 

DeAndre Hunter == 3 and D, miniature Kawhi Leonard.

Sign me up.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, it doesn’t reward tanking which is good for the game tbh.

The idea of just sending a mediocre conference USA team out on the court for a couple of years to try to tank is awful for the league from a competitive perspective.

15-20 win teams aren’t good for the league.

Yeah, but sometimes you cant control how good a team is going to be, its all dependent on talent. If a team is constantly a bottom 3 team but they pick #4, #7 and #5 three straight years--thats not helping them get any better. Its compounding a problem by making a undeserving team with the 10th worst record even better by giving them a top 3 pick.

Im all for not giving the worst team a guaranteed #1 pick, but Im also of the belief if your a bottom 4 team--you should not be able to fall out of that range. Scramble the bottom 4 teams up with a lottery draw, but I hate the fact that teams 5-14 even have a chance at picking top 3. There is no sense that the 3rd worst team in basketball ends up with the #7 pick in the draft which is essentially useless in the NBA.

If you're David Griffin, would you prefer to trade Anthony Davis to:

1.) The Knicks (weaken the conference) for #3 overall, Kevin Knox, a vet contract to match salaries, and Mitchell Robinson. Then Draft RJ Barrett.

2.) The Lakers (strengthen the conference) for #4 overall, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, a vet contract to match salaries, and a future Lakers 1st 1st. Then Draft one of DeAndre Hunter, Darius Garland, Jarrett Culver, or Coby White.

---------

In this hypothetical and other similar one's I'm going with the Knicks trade everytime b/c Brandon Ingram's health concerns and the lower draft pick for the Lakers. If the Lakers got 3 instead of 4, they could very well be in the drivers seat for the Anthony Davis trade. Tough outcome for the Lake Show and Bron.

Edited by Mind Character

19 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

This ... again...

I knew the lottery was going to get wild. Lucky for us we ended up at 5 and not 6.

I know people on here love Culver, but to me we have to be laser focused on one name and one name only at 5: DeAndre Hunter. 

Assuming Zion, Ja, and Barrett are gone. The only prospect with superstar upside is Hunter or Garland. Culver and Hachimura are solid but unspectacular next level prospects. Coby White has the highest floor but a low ceiling. 

DeAndre Hunter == 3 and D, miniature Kawhi Leonard.

Sign me up.

Hunter is my pick as well at #5 basically because he is a good multiple position defender and like everybody else at Virginia, hes a good passer. Something the Cavs dont have enough of.

Culver is the better pure scorer, but I think Hunters fit of defense/passing is that the Cavs actually need.

Hunter also seems like a good personality grinder---something the Cavs FO valued in their pick with Sexton.

I stan for Hunter

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah, but sometimes you cant control how good a team is going to be, its all dependent on talent. If a team is constantly a bottom 3 team but they pick #4, #7 and #5 three straight years--thats not helping them get any better. Its compounding a problem by making a undeserving team with the 10th worst record even better by giving them a top 3 pick.

Im all for not giving the worst team a guaranteed #1 pick, but Im also of the belief if your a bottom 4 team--you should not be able to fall out of that range. Scramble the bottom 4 teams up with a lottery draw, but I hate the fact that teams 5-14 even have a chance at picking top 3. There is no sense that the 3rd worst team in basketball ends up with the #7 pick in the draft which is essentially useless in the NBA.

I mean, the 72 win championship Warriors built their whole squad with picks 7 and lower.

Curry, Thompson, Kawhi, Giannis, George, Jokic, Gobert, McCollum, Lillard, Kemba, Wade, Dirk, Pierce, DeRozan, Gasol, Parker, Manu, Kobe, Nash, Rodman, Malone, Kemp, Dumars, Stockton, Drexler....

Let’s just say there’s a long list of guys drafted outside of the top 2-3 who’ve been pretty decent.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck