Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

15 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think simmons is off the table now with brown gone. They will probably want to find a HC who can make it work with both of them. 

I’d try Stan Van Gundy if I’m Philly.

However, I don’t know if he will have patience for Ben not shooting 3’s.

21 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think simmons is off the table now with brown gone. They will probably want to find a HC who can make it work with both of them. 

I still think there’s a chance they move Embiid. Simmons typically is healthier and easier to build around IMO due to him having a somewhat similar skill set to guy like Lebron, Luka, and Giannis. He can’t thrive with a big clogging the lane and having Embiid trying to space the floor and shoot jumpers wastes his talents down low. Their games just don’t compliment each other.

44 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

I still think there’s a chance they move Embiid. Simmons typically is healthier and easier to build around IMO due to him having a somewhat similar skill set to guy like Lebron, Luka, and Giannis. He can’t thrive with a big clogging the lane and having Embiid trying to space the floor and shoot jumpers wastes his talents down low. Their games just don’t compliment each other.

I don’t think they could ever work but I think the Philly FO wants to give another coach a try before they break it up. 

17 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Absolutely not. The nba is about quality not quantity. 26 30 and next years first which will be late are such a crap shoot. 

There are a lot of really exciting high upside guys projected to go later - ex Cole Anthony, Pokushevsky, Maxey, Patrick Williams, RJ Hampton etc....

I'm not convinced taking multiple shots doesnt give you higher upside in this draft. And guys like Vassell, Okoro, Okongwu are more high floor guys projected top 10 anyway. 

8 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Lets say the Celtics call and offer 14 + 26 + 30 + next years first for #5. 

Do you do it?

7 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Absolutely not. The nba is about quality not quantity. 26 30 and next years first which will be late are such a crap shoot. 

I generally agree, but it’s also about assets.  5 first round picks over 2 drafts add significant assets to a team who has next to nothing as far as young talent.  Realistically it’s 3 guys.

The slew of picks from Boston may not net a star, but they could net some role players (a 3/D wing, a defensive minded big, a long term developmental guy, etc) that could be valuable moving forward as potential trade pieces.

I’d prefer to draft a stud too, but I’m not sure one is there at 5 and in that case I’d be tempted with multiple chances to hit.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I generally agree, but it’s also about assets.  5 first round picks over 2 drafts add significant assets to a team who has next to nothing as far as young talent.  Realistically it’s 3 guys.

The slew of picks from Boston may not net a star, but they could net some role players (a 3/D wing, a defensive minded big, a long term developmental guy, etc) that could be valuable moving forward as potential trade pieces.

I’d prefer to draft a stud too, but I’m not sure one is there at 5 and in that case I’d be tempted with multiple chances to hit.

The problem with the Boston picks are how far back they are.  If it was 11, 21, and 30, then maybe.  But with 14, 26, and 30 you are likely only to get 1 of Aleksej Pokusevski, Patrick Williams,  Daniel Oturu, and Jalen Smith.  At 11, 21, and 30, then you have a chance at 2 of them and still get a high floor guy like we did with Windler in the last draft.  It's not just about the number of assets, but the location of those assets and where said players are projected.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The problem with the Boston picks are how far back they are.  If it was 11, 21, and 30, then maybe.  But with 14, 26, and 30 you are likely only to get 1 of Aleksej Pokusevski, Patrick Williams,  Daniel Oturu, and Jalen Smith.  At 11, 21, and 30, then you have a chance at 2 of them and still get a high floor guy like we did with Windler in the last draft.  It's not just about the number of assets, but the location of those assets and where said players are projected.

18 minutes ago, Raves said:

Eh, I don’t see the huge difference between 11/14 and 21/26 personally.