Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Watching Denver vs Utah.

Denver can’t beat LA, they don’t have a 2nd wing scorer. Utah at least has Clarkson.

I think Denver can beat anyone. They are one of the weirdest matchups in league and Joker is the 2nd best player in the series and Murray is the 3rd best. I’d rather have a more diverse scoring lineup playing against Clippers than two great wings because what makes Clippers great is how they guard wings. 

Jokic was amazing in that series going against Gobert. They need to put Leonard on him or he will do freaky things. 

I’m guessing 4-2 Clippers and a closer series than what Mavs gave. I’d have thought easy 4-0 vs Jazz where you just put Leonard on Mitchell and it’s done before it’s started. 

Milwaukee reminds me of Lebrons Cavs pre-2010. There’s nobody outside of Giannis that scares me.

Miami is doing what the Boston Big 3 did to us. Try to keep Lebron from living at the FT line, but let your defense be your offense against Lebron.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

James Harden made a amazing defensive play tonight that helped his team win. 

idgaf what anybody says. Unless you’re physically limited, you can learn to play defense. It’s about attitude and effort to be okay defensively.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1301368958868578304

Edited by candyman93

^ agree with both points

Difference primarily is Giannis aint no LeBron and seems to lack the composure and focus down stretch closing games. LeBron would just will teams to victory. His teammates are probably a little better than what Bron had but same idea. Shooting, rebounding, defending but no 2nd star. 

And yes, if you can move you can play defense. LeBron was sooooo bad at defense at the beginning of his career and made a ton of all D teams. Guys like Sexton and Garland should be able to turn it on. You dont even need to be a good man guy. Learn team defense. 

Curry is an amazing offball defender even though hes not the best moving laterally backwards for 1:1 defense. Harden is a great guard at defending bigger players and defending in the post, and he used to be genuinely the worst defender I've seen. Jokic is fat and slow but plays passing lanes exceptionally well, mans up in the post, and boxes out, hes just a slow rotator on help D. 

9 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Curry is an amazing offball defender even though hes not the best moving laterally backwards for 1:1 defense. Harden is a great guard at defending bigger players and defending in the post, and he used to be genuinely the worst defender I've seen. Jokic is fat and slow but plays passing lanes exceptionally well, mans up in the post, and boxes out, hes just a slow rotator on help D.

Melo is another example. 

I don’t care what anybody says. He was a underachiever to me. He had the frame to defend guys in the post and he wasn’t slow either. He actively chose to just be a scorer.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I 100% agree anyone physically capable of playing professional basketball is also capable of being a reasonably decent defender.

Much of it is effort, which takes no skill at all.

The rest is just learning how to play team defense and communicate, which can take some time, but is absolutely doable.

Its also why the best offensive players in the NBA are typically trash on the defensive end and role players are usually some of the best defenders on the team.

Its hard to maintain maximum effort on both ends of the floor, play 40 mins per game and be responsible for being the do-it-all guy on the offensive end.

14 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Garland isn’t turning anything around defensively until he gets some size to him. 

You don’t have to be big to play passing lanes, angles and be pesky.

He’s likely never going to be great defensively, but he can definitely be serviceable.

As far as his size, he’s 20.  Dude doesn’t even have his man body yet.

49 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its also why the best offensive players in the NBA are typically trash on the defensive end and role players are usually some of the best defenders on the team.

Its hard to maintain maximum effort on both ends of the floor, play 40 mins per game and be responsible for being the do-it-all guy on the offensive end.

Yeah it’s hard to be a high usage player on both ends.  If you’re going balls out on one end, you’re likely going to rest at times at the other end, whether that’s slacking defensively or standing in the corner waiting to catch a pass.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah it’s hard to be a high usage player on both ends.  If you’re going balls out on one end, you’re likely going to rest at times at the other end, whether that’s slacking defensively or standing in the corner waiting to catch a pass.

Right, we saw it with LeBron when he returned to CLE after playing balls to the wall in MIA for 4 years. I honestly think Harden can be a good defender, but the amount of control over the offense he has doesnt let him exhaust himself on the defensive end

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You don’t have to be big to play passing lanes, angles and be pesky.

He’s likely never going to be great defensively, but he can definitely be serviceable.

As far as his size, he’s 20.  Dude doesn’t even have his man body yet.

Yeah my body was completely different at 20 compared to 31. Ive added about 60 lbs. It should be easy for Garland

Edited by AkronsWitness

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck