Training Camp 2022: Luh-trowb or Lay-trowb?

Dcash4

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Okay, so here are non-garbage time INTs from the time period the quotes referenced. The vast majority of these have nothing to do with the people around him. Can he play and produce better with better tools around him? You bet! But ...as I said...I cannot unsee these throws when I think of Mitch. 

I mean, no one is expecting Mitch to be some type of phenom or be a long term starter....but unless Pickett shows off early, our options are extremely limited.    Ben was good for at least one terrible pass every game, and we have had bottom 10 QB play the last 3 seasons.     At worst, I expect similar results with Trubisky until Pickett is ready.    At the very least, we should at least have a QB who can move around and will occasionally try to stretch the field, as opposed to...well....

sKGAt2H.gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

If you could guarantee 5 veterans to have a breakout year, who would they be? For me

1. Devin Bush

2. Alex Highsmith

3. Chase Claypool

4. Kevin Dotson

5. Dan Moore Jr

Hm: ‘Muth, Trubisky, Ogunjobi

Invert your list to get mine. 

• Like 2

I think mini Heyward has a spot on the roster as of now. He can slot into the #3 TE roster spot. I don’t think he’s a TE at all, though. My take on this is, how often does this team use a #3 TE that is actually a TE? Most of the stuff that spot does can be filled with an extra linemen. I also think that Claypool helps fill the void of a #3 TE. Especially because Muth and Gentry are both all around TEs. If one, or both, of those guys stunk at blocking, maybe we could justify a true #3. I think baby Hey’s spot is going to come on special teams. He could also compete with Watt for the h-back spot(which I’m sure Canada will be using more of) this year. 

I know this is a mundane topic. I’m mostly just posting this here because of all the tired comments I see on SD and BTSC, and I don’t have accounts set up to respond there. Anybody have any hot takes on the #3 TE spot? 

I’d say you could also add Edmunds and all our CBs to the list. Mason Cole if we’re counting new vets. I’m a little worried about Cole. Any opinions on him? I’ve heard really mixed things about him. I know he’s got to be an improvement on Green, but that isn’t saying much. 

• Like 1

Sorry to spam so many posts, but I’ve got a lot of ideas. 

If Green wins the LG spot that sets us up with our entire interior o-line as better suited as wide-zone guys, right? I also might be wrong, but aren’t Chuks and Moore kind of wide zone guys too? If that’s the case(and one of you smart guys tell me if it isn’t) doesn’t that seem to give Green the leg up on Dotson? Dotson is more of a mauling, power guy. How does Najee fit in the wide-zone scheme? It seems like he could be good at it, but admittedly I don’t know much about scheme. The wide-zone is kind of what Shanahan used to run, right? Just pick a hole and hit it hard, IIRC. 

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Sorry to spam so many posts, but I’ve got a lot of ideas. 

If Green wins the LG spot that sets us up with our entire interior o-line as better suited as wide-zone guys, right? I also might be wrong, but aren’t Chuks and Moore kind of wide zone guys too? If that’s the case(and one of you smart guys tell me if it isn’t) doesn’t that seem to give Green the leg up on Dotson? Dotson is more of a mauling, power guy. How does Najee fit in the wide-zone scheme? It seems like he could be good at it, but admittedly I don’t know much about scheme. The wide-zone is kind of what Shanahan used to run, right? Just pick a hole and hit it hard, IIRC. 

If Dotson is healthy and playing like he did his rookie year, I don’t see a way you start Green over him regardless of scheme fit.

14 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

If Dotson is healthy and playing like he did his rookie year, I don’t see a way you start Green over him regardless of scheme fit.

I need to see Dotson do it for more than 3 games in a row. I agree, he’s got talent, but he can’t stay on the field. I’m rooting for him(mainly because of the Durag lol) but he’s on thin ice.