Training Camp 2022: Luh-trowb or Lay-trowb?

Dcash4

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

That was my point all along. 

Dont see whats so controversial about that.    Its actually pretty legit rationality.     

Its not even that I necessarily have a preference between the two.   Their skillsets are fairly similar.     If Pickett shows he is ready, I have no issue starting him.

But, I am willing to bet that Tomlin and the coaching staff would start Mitch if they are neck and neck.   Again, I dont even entirely care, but they paid decent money to bring Mitch in, and unless they feel that Pickett gives them a much better chance to win, I think they will give him time and see what Mitch can do first.    I think its pretty safe to say they are going to view this years as a transitional year given all the changes, and I doubt they are looking at this team as a serious contender, so I feel like they will be more willing to experiment and try new things than other years.    

One other noteworthy reason to start Mitch if they are close is....if Mitch begins the season as starter and you end up benching him....no big thing.    If Kenny starts the season and really struggles, its hard to bench your hopeful new franchise QB in their rookie season and expect him to bounce back.   It can shatter their confidence.    So if Kenny starts from week 1, you pretty much just have to let him go the entire year regardless of how he plays, which in turn would make the front office look pretty silly after overpaying for Mitch.

Bottom line....start the better player, but if it looks pretty even, it makes more sense to go with the vet early on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

One other noteworthy reason to start Mitch if they are close is....if Mitch begins the season as starter and you end up benching him....no big thing.    If Kenny starts the season and really struggles, its hard to bench your hopeful new franchise QB in their rookie season and expect him to bounce back.   It can shatter their confidence. 

The Office Reaction GIF

4 hours ago, 43M said:

I think its pretty safe to say they are going to view this years as a transitional year given all the changes, and I doubt they are looking at this team as a serious contender, so I feel like they will be more willing to experiment and try new things than other years.   

This is the only part I’ll push back on. Tomlin goes into every season with intentions to win a Super Bowl. He doesn’t believe in rebuilds/transition years. Not saying he’s right, just stating his mentality. We’re talking about the team who saw their HOF QB go down very early in the season with a career threatening injury and then proceeded to immediately trade their first round pick for a safety. Not many other teams out there would do that. Now, if we start 2-6 or something with either QB then all bets are out the window. I do not see that happening though, this team will win at least 8 games imo.

I for one am pretty bullish on both QBs to be honest and will be completely fine with either starting week 1. I think we are in a pretty good spot moving forward regardless. 

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

This is the only part I’ll push back on. Tomlin goes into every season with intentions to win a Super Bowl. He doesn’t believe in rebuilds/transition years. Not saying he’s right, just stating his mentality. We’re talking about the team who saw their HOF QB go down very early in the season with a career threatening injury and then proceeded to immediately trade their first round pick for a safety. Not many other teams out there would do that. Now, if we start 2-6 or something with either QB then all bets are out the window. I do not see that happening though, this team will win at least 8 games imo.

I for one am pretty bullish on both QBs to be honest and will be completely fine with either starting week 1. I think we are in a pretty good spot moving forward regardless. 

Not saying youre wrong, but this is his first year as head coach he doesn't have an obvious starter at QB ready to go.  As you pointed out before, it will largely come down to who they think puts us in the best position to win games, and if its clear, this decision becomes alot easier than we are making it.    If its close, however, I truly believe Mitch will start week 1, and if we get 4 or 5 weeks in and Mitch and the offense is struggling, then I think Kenny gets inserted.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 43M said:

Not sure what you two are arguing, since at the end of the day, its pretty simple as @bigben07MVP pointed out....its going to come down to who the coaches think puts us in the best position to win.

I don't disagree with the thought that it's likely Tomlin selects a vet. But I do think it's fair to argue against if that's the right choice. 

I'm not pushing back on the thought that it's likely

This situation isn't Aaron Rodgers coming and sitting behind Brett Favre. It's not Mahomes coming in behind 4 year starter Alex Smith. This is FIRST YEAR w/ the Steelers Mitch Trubisky and newly drafted Kenny Pickett. They are on the same exact footing knowledge and chemistry wise to this team and this locker room. Look at the recent teams that chose to start a vet vs a rookie -- Tyrod over Herbert, Nathan freaking Peterman over Josh Allen, Fitzmagic for Tua, Eli to Daniel Jones. Repeatable traits? All "vets" were on the team the year before. It's generally what you see when teams chose "vet" purely because they are a vet of that team

IF THEY ARE EVEN -- there far are more benefits to Kenny playing than a guy who is likely a cut candidate next year. Those benefits outweigh being a vet, IMO. We need to evaluate the receiver room -- why do that with a guy they won't catch passes from? We need to evaluate Canada as a play caller -- Why do that with a guy he didn't help handpick to run his offense? Are you going to build a run game centered around Mitch Trubisky's running ability to evaluate your OL for a system you won't continue in 2023? We need to evaluate the most important position in football that can lead to teams living in purgatory for extended periods of time....why wait another year to start the evaluation?

If the only difference you see is that Mitch has experience playing live snaps in the NFL, then playing Mitch takes away Kenny's opportunity to earn that experience. If sitting on the bench holding a clipboard is what makes you a better player, Mason Rudolph would be our starter. And actually, you would have a better chance of convincing me that starting Mason because he is a vet over KP is a smarter move than Trubisky, because he has been around Canada for 2 years and worked with these receivers before (see situations listed above). 

My opinion is that Kenny needs SIGNIFICANT snaps in year one so that we know who he is, what his strengths/weaknesses are as we build on an offense, and how to mold the team around him (DJ/Claypool/OL) so we can go running into season 2, not just starting the evaluation. Season 2 should NOT be the learning experience, and if you look around the NFL -- it isn't anymore (Eagles & Dolphins are great examples of setting up decision year in the third season). The transition is being made yearly because the Pro game and the college game fit much better with modern day OC's and concepts. This doesn't mean I think Kenny needs to start week 1, but my fear there is do you bench Trubisky (the guy with no future) if we are a borderline wild card team and he is just okay? You are making it so that Trubisky needs to lose the job....but if you banked on vet alone, when does that come if he is just fine? I don't believe Tomlin will bench MT if he is okay and we are in games. I also don't believe the difference in play between KP and MT would be drastically different -- but the impact on decision making for the future could be. 

Guys, Kenny is a 5 year starter who had over 50 games under his belt in D1 football and played in a pro-style offense. Colbert and Tomlin both had comments about his preparedness and experience being a big reason they saw him as the top guy in the class -- Colbert going as far as to saying going back to college was like "his rookie year in the NFL in college". This is going to be a run first team with run action and RPO's. If you are afraid that having him play football his rookie year will break him, then we flat out need to be concerned about the 24 year old we just took with pick 20 at the top position. 

kenny comes off as a guy very dedicated to his craft. I hope that makes up for some of his physical disadvantages(small hands/not the greatest arm). some of the best of this era where not great athletes, but they dominated like they were due to being so great at the mental and skill part of the position

1 hour ago, August4th said:

kenny comes off as a guy very dedicated to his craft. I hope that makes up for some of his physical disadvantages(small hands/not the greatest arm). some of the best of this era where not great athletes, but they dominated like they were due to being so great at the mental and skill part of the position

I know it’s been thrown around a lot but Kenny really does remind me of Joe Burrow a ton. I think they actually have similar ceilings. I can’t think of anything Burrow does significantly better than Pickett.

I know he had Addison, but makes you think if Pickett was throwing to Justin Jefferson and Jamarr Chase in college he might have been drafted a little higher.

53 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I can’t think of anything Burrow does significantly better than Pickett.

We won't really know this until we see it, but Joe Burrow's super power is 100% mental. He processes the game quickly and correctly. The mental side of his game far and away makes up for the lack of elite physical tools. He's got his understand of what's happening on field on lock and he really is Joe Brrr. Dude's got a rock solid mentality no matter what happens. 

TBD with Pickett there. Not that I don't think he could be that, but we won't know until the bullets start flying. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, August4th said:

Pickett absolute control of the game during his last season at Pitt is what stuck out the most for me while watching him last yr. if he can get to that level of comfort in the NFL..we might have something there

It only took 4 years as a starter in the same system. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It only took 4 years as a starter in the same system. 

That’s a good point. Not very optimistic, but good. I’ve heard reasons why it took him so long, but I don’t watch college football to know enough. I’ve read his pass catchers we’re a little rough at actually catching passes until his last year. But, like I said, I don’t know enough. Either way, I hope it has clicked for him. 

• Like 1

I agree. It would really be nice for Adams to build off the end to his 2021 season and give us a smooth transition from Tyson at the NT position. I’m excited to see what he can do this year. If he plays well it gives us one less need heading into next offseason. 

• Like 1