Good News On The Injury Front

Just Want A Title

24 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Ugh. We really needed Walker back there. The young guys will get a look, which is good, but not if they aren't ready yet. 

You could argue that Walker was one of the most important pieces on the defense. 

Yeah, that was a huge loss. Hopefully Kerby can get some valuable reps back there.

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Ugh. We really needed Walker back there. The young guys will get a look, which is good, but not if they aren't ready yet. 

You could argue that Walker was one of the most important pieces on the defense. 

Iffy and Kerby have 0 snaps on D this year.  In fact Iffy hasn't even ben active for a game yet this year.  As an article I read mentioned, the day 2 selections for Holmes have been atrocious so far other than McNeil.  Iffy, Kerby, Onwuzurike, Paschal have all been hurt or not good enough to play this year.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Iffy and Kerby have 0 snaps on D this year.  In fact Iffy hasn't even ben active for a game yet this year.  As an article I read mentioned, the day 2 selections for Holmes have been atrocious so far other than McNeil.  Iffy, Kerby, Onwuzurike, Paschal have all been hurt or not good enough to play this year.  

It's great to hit on your late round picks (ARSB, Rodrigo) but you HAVE to hit on your upper level picks (1st and 2nd rounders) in order to build the talent and depth needed to take the next steps. 

Otherwise, we'll just have a roster of overachieving guys who are likely to hit a wall and constantly trying to fill holes on the roster and dealing with a lack of talent/development of talent. It's not going to be a recipe for success. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 2:25 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

McNeill has been very good so far. And I still have hope for Iffy and Kerby. But Holmes needs to stop reaching for injured players. Jameson was a calculated risk that can still contribute soon. But Levi and Paschal were 2nd Rd picks at spots where we passed up some very good players who have contributed for other teams. That hurts. 

Levi -- I find it hard to believe he will be in the league in two years. There are so many things wrong with this franchise. Very rarely getting players in the second might be amongst the top reasons for me.  We needed to hit on every pick that first year with Holmes and comapny. Missing on an injured 2nd round pick wasn't good.

Campbell said defensive lineman Levi Onwuzurike has not progressed in his return from a summer back injury.

“It’s not moving,” Campbell said. “That meter’s not moving, so there again we’re just kind of see where he goes.”

Edited by LionArkie

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

Levi -- I find it hard to believe he will be in the league in two years. There are so many things wrong with this franchise. Very rarely getting players in the second might be amongst the top reasons for me.  We needed to hit on every pick that first year with Holmes and comapny. Missing on an injured 2nd round pick wasn't good.

The curse of the second round.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LionArkie said:

Levi -- I find it hard to believe he will be in the league in two years. There are so many things wrong with this franchise. Very rarely getting players in the second might be amongst the top reasons for me.  We needed to hit on every pick that first year with Holmes and company. Missing on an injured 2nd round pick wasn't good.

Levi is a huge disappointment but we don't need to hit on every pick in any draft, its just not going to happen.  It sure would help to hit on the earlier picks but no GM has a perfect record.  Last year we got a franchise LT, a #1 WR, a starting DT, and a solid depth RB.  The other DT, LB, and CB we drafted have flopped but a 60% success rate with the quality of the 3 main successes is a huge draft, not to mention Jerry Jacobs as an UDFA.  6th best class per PFF's wins above replacement and value with Sewell and ARSB being top 12 non-QBs from the class and Jacobs being top 25.  This year we need to get more out of all of our picks.  Hutch has been ok but not #2 overall great.  Rodrigo has been fantastic value but still is a #2 LB getting about 60% of the snaps. Williams and Paschal haven't played. Kerby finally played in place of Walker and was decent but still questionable.  Houston is not on the roster and Chase hasn't played a defensive snap.  We have 1 and a half players from this years class which is hurting us more than Levi being a flop.  Sure if Paschal and Williams return soon that can change things but we need more from this years group if we want to be better.  Holmes has hit on some great picks but if this class doesn't start panning out he will have a lot of heat going into next years draft.  I guess last years started off slow too though so I havent given up on this class. 

That being said, the second round has been disappointing forever with Slay and Swift being the only real value I remember.  And Swift can't stay healthy.  We had a good run in 2001 with Raiola and Shaun Rogers and since then have had Delmas and Slay as very good starters.  Swift is probably a great starter but can't stay healthy.  Ashawn Robinson was serviceable but nothing special.  Van Noy turned out good but not when he was here.  That is 2 great, a good but not healthy, and an ok player out of 23 2nd round picks and many of those were completely useless (Titus Young, Teez Tabor, Jordan Dizon, Jahlani Tavai, Van Noy for us, Shaun Cody, Alama-Francis, Gerald Alexander, Daniel Bullocks, Leshoure, Kerryon Johnson, Ryan Broyles, and now Levi and Paschal so far).  Its sad how bad our bad second round picks have been when we miss.  And with about 33% of 2nd round picks becoming starters, our hit rate is extremely low.  

57 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Levi is a huge disappointment but we don't need to hit on every pick in any draft, its just not going to happen.  It sure would help to hit on the earlier picks but no GM has a perfect record.  Last year we got a franchise LT, a #1 WR, a starting DT, and a solid depth RB.  The other DT, LB, and CB we drafted have flopped but a 60% success rate with the quality of the 3 main successes is a huge draft, not to mention Jerry Jacobs as an UDFA.  6th best class per PFF's wins above replacement and value with Sewell and ARSB being top 12 non-QBs from the class and Jacobs being top 25.  This year we need to get more out of all of our picks.  Hutch has been ok but not #2 overall great.  Rodrigo has been fantastic value but still is a #2 LB getting about 60% of the snaps. Williams and Paschal haven't played. Kerby finally played in place of Walker and was decent but still questionable.  Houston is not on the roster and Chase hasn't played a defensive snap.  We have 1 and a half players from this years class which is hurting us more than Levi being a flop.  Sure if Paschal and Williams return soon that can change things but we need more from this years group if we want to be better.  Holmes has hit on some great picks but if this class doesn't start panning out he will have a lot of heat going into next years draft.  I guess last years started off slow too though so I havent given up on this class. 

That being said, the second round has been disappointing forever with Slay and Swift being the only real value I remember.  And Swift can't stay healthy.  We had a good run in 2001 with Raiola and Shaun Rogers and since then have had Delmas and Slay as very good starters.  Swift is probably a great starter but can't stay healthy.  Ashawn Robinson was serviceable but nothing special.  Van Noy turned out good but not when he was here.  That is 2 great, a good but not healthy, and an ok player out of 23 2nd round picks and many of those were completely useless (Titus Young, Teez Tabor, Jordan Dizon, Jahlani Tavai, Van Noy for us, Shaun Cody, Alama-Francis, Gerald Alexander, Daniel Bullocks, Leshoure, Kerryon Johnson, Ryan Broyles, and now Levi and Paschal so far).  Its sad how bad our bad second round picks have been when we miss.  And with about 33% of 2nd round picks becoming starters, our hit rate is extremely low.  

This is just horribly bad and it's across countless coaches, GM's, etc. Just complete organizational failure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I knew when I posted that the focus would end up being a 100% success rate. This was not my intent, even though it may read like that. I was just too lazy to go back and reword. What I bolded above and my intention are the same thing. The void quintricia left means we need to hit on rounds 1-3. This does not mean all pro. This means a viable starter compared to the current roster talent. This does not mean the player can't be replaced in a future draft or FA. This would create better talent in the future by having better depth with the formerly drafted player. With the team we had, any talent on the third round should be out on the field. My gosh, how many players did we pick up off the street who played last year? Not being able to get on the field is a failed pick imo. And rounds 1-2 failed picks have hampered this organization for years. The millen years unfortunately gave us multiple failed rounds 1 and 2.  Rounds 4-6 should be looking at ST players and player depth (actually both). I believe this is how you find the diamonds in the rough (rodrigo). This year we are at 33% success rate with our first 3 picks. Do I expect that to improve, yes. But at the moment with a roster lacking talent we are at 33%. Last years draft we are hitting at 50% success rate for our first two picks, and I would say 50% with our first 4 picks. When you are relying on one of those picks to fix the interior line and he can't even play then that's an issue. It's a bigger issue when he had injury red flags to begin with. When you need to hit on picks, and to be clear the Lions do, taking that risk is unwarranted. If you're going to be risky on it, you better back it up with some FA signings, which we didn't do.

Ravens FS Marcus Williams on IR

He's going to miss a "significant" amount of time, but not believed to be season ending. He's been an awesome big ticket free agent signing. Behind only Tucker and Lamar in terms of team MVP so far. So good as a pure FS. Dislocated wrist is a messy one with a high variance. I hope he comes back 100% for playoffs at least.

Thank goodness he wasn't on our roster. Dodged that bullet.... 

Pop Tv No GIF by Schitt's Creek

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Brad Holmes and 2nd round picks

To be fair to Brad Holmes, he has only had two second round-picks to be judged on.  Pascal had a different kind of injury than Levi Onwuzurike and should not be lumped in with him.  I agree that Brad Holmes should have made a safer pick with his first second round selection.