GDT: Preseason! Wk2 Eagles vs Browns

Mastercheddaar

3 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

Why are you so fixed into defending Hurts? 

Why are you so fixed on hating Hurts?

For some reason some of you think you have to have a "cannon" to be successful in the NFL. You don't!!  Hell it's been proven already the past 30 years with every single Eagles QB not named Nick Foles.  Where did their cannons take us?

I've seen Hurts make every single necessary throw on a NFL field. WGAF if he can't throw it 80yds like Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf? I don't. Sinnet threw a 60yd bomb taking 3 steps of momentum into a clean pocket. So what? Am I supposed to be impressed?

YouTube Hurts to DeSean 81 yd TD. For whatever the reason I can't post it.

In that video Jalen throws "flat footed" with no momentum, defenders in his face 52 yds. His arm strength as posted in the Senior Bowl link is just fine. Not "Elite" like the Allen's, Mahomes and Dan Marino's of the NFL but not as horrific as ALL of you haters at nauseum make it out to be. 

You all stand on one hill, I'll laugh in the end from the other. 🍺

Edited by Nabbs4u

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why are you so fixed on hating Hurts?

For some reason some of you think you have to have a "cannon" to be successful in the NFL. You don't!!  Hell it's been proven already the past 30 years with every single Eagles QB not named Nick Foles.  Where did their cannons take us?

I've seen Hurts make every single necessary throw on a NFL field. WGAF if he can't throw it 80yds like Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf? I don't. Sinnet threw a 60yd bomb taking 3 steps of momentum into a clean pocket. So what? Am I supposed to be impressed?

YouTube Hurts to DeSean 81 yd TD. For whatever the reason I can't post it.

In that video Jalen throws "flat footed" with no momentum, defenders in his face 52 yds. His arm strength as posted in the Senior Bowl link is just fine. Not "Elite" like the Allen's, Mahomes and Dan Marino's of the NFL but not as horrific as ALL of you haters at nauseum make it out to be. 

You all stand on one hill, I'll laugh in the end from the other. 🍺

Nobody is hating on him. It is what he has done to this moment and his lack of arm strength has shown in other aspects of his game. He is physically able to make throws like the one you said and the ones to Watkins on week 2. He is not post injury Pennington BUT it is a weakness of him to the point that if he is late to a progression, doesn't have the arm strength to make up for it. 

We are not standing on any hill nor hating. He has shown deficiencies that are pointed out and to this point he has not enough to grant any defending on that regard. 

2 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

He is not post injury Pennington BUT it is a weakness of him to the point that if he is late to a progression, doesn't have the arm strength to make up for it. 

Here's the thing though, he does. How can he put up the velocity numbers he did at the Senior Bowl, with a week arm? Most of you love your analytics,  how?

See you all see the missed arrant throws from last year, the inability to zip it in there as lack of arm strength, when I saw a young QB not playing QB but over thinking.

It was clear to me at least the lack of WR talent he was forced to throw to (Reagor,JJAW,Hightower) he couldn't trust them to be where they were supposed to be, played a factor. Learning a new offensive philosophy yet again not only him but as a WR group played a factor in his decision making, hesitation inaccuracies. 

I'm of the opinion none of the above will be an issue this year. We have reliable legit NFL caliber WR's like AJ, Smitty, Quez, Pascal. Hurts "knows" the system now inside and out. Can play freely instead of over thinking where what and when to deliverthe ball. Which will lead to better throws, quicker decisions and yes even bombs away down field knowing the 4 above will be in the right spots instead of the 4 from last season not.

That's all. Guess we'll see.

29 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Here's the thing though, he does. How can he put up the velocity numbers he did at the Senior Bowl, with a week arm? Most of you love your analytics,  how?

See you all see the missed arrant throws from last year, the inability to zip it in there as lack of arm strength, when I saw a young QB not playing QB but over thinking.

It was clear to me at least the lack of WR talent he was forced to throw to (Reagor,JJAW,Hightower) he couldn't trust them to be where they were supposed to be, played a factor. Learning a new offensive philosophy yet again not only him but as a WR group played a factor in his decision making, hesitation inaccuracies. 

I'm of the opinion none of the above will be an issue this year. We have reliable legit NFL caliber WR's like AJ, Smitty, Quez, Pascal. Hurts "knows" the system now inside and out. Can play freely instead of over thinking where what and when to deliverthe ball. Which will lead to better throws, quicker decisions and yes even bombs away down field knowing the 4 above will be in the right spots instead of the 4 from last season not.

That's all. Guess we'll see.

That’s all good. We all want that. 

But until I see it, I’m going off of what I HAVE seen so far. And that’s a QB that doesn’t have the ability/confidence to make NFL throws that will separate him from average QB to head of franchise QB. I’m not interested in a top 20 QB. I need him top 10 this year. And he needs to be making the throws to get there. I’m on record, he earned the gig this year. But still has much to prove. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I need him top 10 this year

Why? Is that the magic number for a FQB to win a SB? If he ends up 11-15, with signs of growth as a NFL passer. You still punting the 2023 season and moving on for a Rookie? 

What Rookie QB could the Eagles draft that is "Guaranteed" to be a Top 10 FQB moving forward? 

No particular order but which two is he knocking off this list or He needs to be replaced?

Brady

Rodgers 

Mahomes

Allen

Herbert

Jackson

Burrow

Wilson 

Murray

Stafford 

Prescott

Edited by Nabbs4u

57 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why? Is that the magic number for a FQB to win a SB? If he ends up 11-15, with signs of growth as a NFL passer. You still punting the 2023 season and moving on for a Rookie? 

What Rookie QB could the Eagles draft that is "Guaranteed" to be a Top 10 FQB moving forward? 

No particular order but which two is he knocking off this list or He needs to be replaced?

Brady

Rodgers 

Mahomes

Allen

Herbert

Jackson

Burrow

Wilson 

Murray

Stafford 

Prescott

If he can hone in the passing and still be a legit threat on the ground then he can eclipse the effectiveness of a Murray, Jackson and/or Stafford. Dak without the weapons will probably struggle more than usual. He may be able to get to that level. Problem is, I’m not resigning him unless he makes a considerable jump. I’m not giving 6 years to a mediocre QB. It would devastate the payroll. We’ll be in position to grab a rookie QB if we want to. Obviously there’s no guarantee for rookies, that’s clear. But unless there’s a veteran malcontent that we can add ala Stafford then I’m drafting, I’m not resigning.  

Last I checked Hurts was under contract for 2023? At worse the Eagles can Dak Prescott/ Kirk Cousins/ Lamar Jackson his *** till 2024/5.

I can understand from Jalen's perspective if he shows growth pay me in 2023 or move on but it's not a foregone conclusion the FO has to. 

Look, if Hurts shows no improvement,  no ability to get better in 2022, I'll be first in line to dump his ***. I just don't agree with the idea or notion "he won't " get better since IMO it's clear He has every single year in the NFL.

No reason to think otherwise in year 3. That's all.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Last I checked Hurts was under contract for 2023? At worse the Eagles can Dak Prescott/ Kirk Cousins/ Lamar Jackson his *** till 2024/5.

I can understand from Jalen's perspective if he shows growth pay me in 2023 or move on but it's not a foregone conclusion the FO has to. 

Look, if Hurts shows no improvement,  no ability to get better in 2022, I'll be first in line to dump his ***. I just don't agree with the idea or notion "he won't " get better since IMO it's clear He has every single year in the NFL.

No reason to think otherwise in year 3. That's all.

If he plays well I’d imagine he’s going to get extended. And more than that, he’s going to want to get paid. No guy coming off a good year into a contract year is just going to wait it out. His agent will push his agenda. And the Eagles are typically a team that takes care of their own. But that’s kinda where it gets tricky; he would be a trade chip most likely if they don’t see eye to eye. If the Eagles don’t plan to resign him, he’d be a lame duck QB and most guys will want out of that situation. The team as well. And it would just make sense for some QB desperate team to give up a mid round pick for a guy that could bridge you for a few years. And if he falters, the Eagles are in prime position to grab a QB the following draft. Either way, it doesn’t make sense for Hurts to be here unless he’s extended. 

I’m sure they’re are a few posters that think he’s never going to have what it takes to be a good starter and I’d probably have to agree if you asked me to bet money but I wouldn’t count him out just yet. Problem is you can’t learn arm strength. He can work mechanics and timing and all that but there’s going to a lot of moments where you have to rely on natural ability. And I’m of the  opinion that he just lacks there. I don’t think it’ll improve. But I’m willing to give him this year to figure it out. He’s a great kid and it’s really easy to cheer for him but when you don’t see it, you don’t see it. I’m just not there with him. Doesn’t mean he can’t. I’m just pessimistic at this point. If I seen the tools and was just waiting for the tangible stuff to manifest, I could get behind him. But I believe he’s too limited.  I think most guys that are “down” him would agree with that assessment. 

I'm in no way shape a analytics person like some of you. Can one of you please explain how this link posted below is possible but Hurts still has a "weak arm"?

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-jalen-hurts-nfl-draft-class-stats-speed-tracking-senior-bowl-20200511.html

Or is that not opening up now , like it isn't for me?

Edited by Nabbs4u

13 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

FWIW Hurts 100% could have made the SInnett throw with the same pocket/ability to step into the throw. He doesn't have a noodle arm, he just doesn't have a cannon.

I don't think he could make that throw with the same trajectory. He would have to throw a bigger rainbow if he's going to throw it 60 yards. And that would have thrown off timing, aka no catch in stride.

Edited by Jeezla