Raiders to release Kenyan Drake

NYRaider

On 8/29/2022 at 10:23 PM, raidr4life said:

Jacobs has been the best RB from his class tho.

Yeh, don’t disagree with that at all but like I said, in isolation it’s OK, not great, but OK and then you have to consider value so I just don’t think it’s a ‘good’ pick. When I think of first round RBs then I think of guys who are game changers rather than pretty good RBs. First round picks for me should have a pretty high threshold when considering whether they are good picks as you have a heck of a lot of players at all positions to choose from.

On 8/30/2022 at 7:45 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Slightly better than Montgomery the rb from the bears who was a 3rd rounder iirc

Well if we use the NFL top 100 argument that the players know better than we do they had Montgomery ranked #98 this year and Jacobs is not ranked this year.

On 9/1/2022 at 7:26 PM, drfrey13 said:

Well if we use the NFL top 100 argument that the players know better than we do they had Montgomery ranked #98 this year and Jacobs is not ranked this year.

And Montgomery is still playing special teams and likely going to lose his job.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:25 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Those last few games he basically carried the off I like last season maybe as much as rookie season 

He got cooking down the stretch and took a big leap as a safety valve in the passing game. Jacobs is the only first round pick that Grudock made who actually developed into an above average player. And despite the hate that he receives on here, everyone has to acknowledge the fact that he brought stability to the RB position that we hadn't had in years. 

57 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He got cooking down the stretch and took a big leap as a safety valve in the passing game. Jacobs is the only first round pick that Grudock made who actually developed into an above average player. And despite the hate that he receives on here, everyone has to acknowledge the fact that he brought stability to the RB position that we hadn't had in years. 

Jacobs was really good down the stretch last year. That is a fact I don’t think anyone can deny. Anyone saying he isn’t a good player is really stretching it, he is a good player no doubt. A lot of the negative comments are hard to justify.

However, he’s also obviously limited in terms of breakaway speed and big play threat, often banged up or struggling with injuries, has limited impact as a receiver and was over drafted in the first round and that I think is the biggest issue.

I like Jacobs as a player in isolation but when you spend a first round pick on an undervalued position like RB or SS or Guard you need to come away with a Quentin Nelson or a Derwin James or a Jonathan Taylor IMO. You need an All Pro or perennial Pro Bowler not just a good or above average player. I think most if the issue is due to the poor draft value.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Jacobs was really good down the stretch last year. That is a fact I don’t think anyone can deny. Anyone saying he isn’t a good player is really stretching it, he is a good player no doubt. A lot of the negative comments are hard to justify.

However, he’s also obviously limited in terms of breakaway speed and big play threat, often banged up or struggling with injuries, has limited impact as a receiver and was over drafted in the first round and that I think is the biggest issue.

I like Jacobs as a player in isolation but when you spend a first round pick on an undervalued position like RB or SS or Guard you need to come away with a Quentin Nelson or a Derwin James or a Jonathan Taylor IMO. You need an All Pro or perennial Pro Bowler not just a good or above average player. I think most if the issue is due to the poor draft value.

Was it great value? Probably not. But if we're going to make a deep run in the postseason, Jacobs is going to be heavily involved, imo. And that in itself makes the pick okay in my eyes. He's not special but when you're drafting guys in the first round you want starting caliber players and he's been an above average starter. Finding a HOF player or superstar is nearly impossible regardless of where you're picking. 

And the notion that starting RB's aren't worth 1st/2nd round picks is way overblown considering almost every top RB was drafted in the first two rounds.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

They also force fed him his #’s. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Was it great value? Probably not. But if we're going to make a deep run in the postseason, Jacobs is going to be heavily involved, imo. And that in itself makes the pick okay in my eyes. He's not special but when you're drafting guys in the first round you want starting caliber players and he's been an above average starter. Finding a HOF player or superstar is nearly impossible regardless of where you're picking. 

And the notion that starting RB's aren't worth 1st/2nd round picks is way overblown considering almost every top RB was drafted in the first two rounds.

https://www.nfl.com/news/ranking-all-32-rb1s-heading-into-2022-christian-mccaffrey-lands-at-no-10

For the record, I think that Jacobs is ranked far, far too low here and I’d have him around the top 15 for sure, however the above statement doesn’t really make sense to me, I agree that most elite RBs are drafted in the top two rounds but we’re talking about the first round only.

I would have considered Jacobs a very good pick in the second but poor value in the first. That is basically my point. If you’re drafting in the first he has to be a Henry or a Taylor. Lots of those guys, in fact the majority were second round or lower and that is my whole point. Jacobs I feel is a good player, not great but you shouldn’t be drafting good RBs in the first, that is a second or third round type pick IMO.

• Like 1