Speeding Ticket Advice ?

BornToFly

Last month I was issued a ticket for 13 over.  38 in a 25.  I want to fight this ticket.  This was in an area of the village that goes from 25 to 35, and 35 to 45 in a very short period of time.  The 35mph couldn't have been more than 500 feet in front of me.  While I was speeding, I feel like I received a $175 ticket and 4 points for going 3 over, even though technically it was 13 over.  I misjudged the 35mph sign by 300-500 feet. 

My question(s) is, I'm not  sure what to even expect, in court, which is coming up.  Do I plead guilty, innocent, or no contest?  Can I meet with the DA prior to the court date?  Do I meet with anyone before going in front of the judge, or do I only go in front of a judge, by myself?  I haven't been pulled over in over 20 years!  I don't want to waste my time or look stupid if I have zero chance.  Is there a chance to get the points removed? Or a lower fine?  

If anyone knows how it might work, or what to expect, I'd appreciate it.  Bonus if you know what to expect in the state of Wisconsin, since that is where the ticket happened.  

I don't know any answers but... I don't think you want to plead guilty or no contest because then you lose. My best recommendation is just to be super cool about the whole thing and don't complain or point blame elsewhere. Just calmly explain how it is confusing with the speed limit changes and that you always try to abide by them. 

Maybe the officer will get held up and you win by default if he is a no show (I assume this is any state). 

If you have the time it isn't a bad idea to show. I wouldn't bring anyone with you, that may be a bad look for a minor traffic violation. 

The worst that could happen (unless you do something stupid) is you come away with what you are expecting. Best case they throw it out and anything inbetween is somewhat of a win. 

Just be cool, respectful (don't overdo it) and it will really help your chances. Same with getting pulled over initially. The cooler and more honest you are the better chance of getting a warning. Now with some officers it won't matter but most like an honest person (they talk to so few of them) and are willing to cut you a break just because they didn't have to listen to someone's BS.

Edited by Thomas5737
  • Like 2

if you are more worried about the points than the fine, one thing that used to work (though I imagine they fixed this by now) is that if you mailed in a check for your fine, and made it for a dollar more than your fine, they have to send you a check back for that dollar.  If you never cashed the check,, the infraction was never completed in the system for the points to take place.  (if you have to actually go in to face the judge, this won't work.  we used to be able to just send in the tfine for the ticket as an admission of guilt)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BornToFly said:

Not if I knew my car insurance wouldn't go up.  But from reading, after a speeding ticket, insurance is likely to go up up to 37% higher, and that would be worth it to me.  

Find a lawyer who will plead guilty for you in exchange for getting it dropped to a non-moving violation so there are no points. Cost me $500 plus the fine for everything when this happened to me, and I didn't even show up to court.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

20 minutes ago, BornToFly said:

Not if I knew my car insurance wouldn't go up.  But from reading, after a speeding ticket, insurance is likely to go up up to 37% higher, and that would be worth it to me.  

In Minnesota? Highly unlikely.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Find a lawyer who will plead guilty for you in exchange for getting it dropped to a non-moving violation so there are no points. Cost me $500 plus the fine for everything when this happened to me, and I didn't even show up to court.

Or just do what I did and get all your speeding tickets out of state so they never show up on your record! I have four speeding tickets and all my points. No idea how.

16 minutes ago, BornToFly said:

Gotcha. I got a ticket about 5 years ago and don't believe my insurance rates went up at all. I know my state doesn't do points though. If my rates did go up, it certainly wasn't noticeable. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Wisconsin. Also depends on where you live here. My car insurance dropped by $15 a month just because I moved out of the city I was in.

It depends on where you live anywhere. Location is a major rating factor.