I.Wynn

mwalker

I think that there is very little doubt that the Steelers will try to make some additions and improvements to the current set of offensive linemen.  I think the main two reasons why the Steelers OL has regressed and has been regressing is the team philosophy regarding offense and OL and lack of top end talent. 

Going back to 2017 we started seeing times when our OL could not impose its will upon a DL.  We would have third r fourth and one and better try to throw for it rather than push an opposing DL backwards to gain one. The Steelers were in a win now mode and many decisions made where to sure up things around Big Ben. In 2019 when Big Ben got hurt, The OL really got exposed when they needed to be able to consistently run on an offense led by a young Mason Rudolph and free agent Duck Hodges. Teams stacked the line, shut off lanes and forced the young and inexperienced QB's to beat them.  

I suggested a change in offensive philosophy after three poor years of a downward trending run game, with and sans  Leveon Bell.  While the Steelers were picking lower and missing some of the prime LT prospects they were still passing up solid developmental players who are now contributing like Lloyd Cushenberry, Quinn Meinerz, Tyler Biadisz, and a slew of other IOL or RT's. 

Because of a win now mindset, they missed on getting some of the first and second round OL prospects who would not necessarily immediately help, but in 2020 and 2021, a change back to the 2004-2005 type of offensive lineman and attack would have helped a veteran like Big Ben after his legs were shot, his ability to move and improvise, and his overall arm strength (more due to age and poor legs than a bad arm). What would have helped? The 2004 -2005 blueprint which the Browns used to nearly get to the SB in 2020. 

I understand passing on C Creed Humphrey for TE Pat Freiermuth.  Muth was a higher rated prospect.  I still believe they would have drafted JOK over Muth had the Browns not jumped in front of them. That is simply playing/following talent on your board.  I didn't understand or like taking C Kendrick Green over C Quinn Meinerz. Green is said to have better feet and they saw a potential future Pouncey.  I saw and see a potential Alex Mack type in Meinerz.  He doesn't have the natural skill, but has the same tenacity and style.  This is why I liked Trevor Penning coming out this year as well. While many say he is dirty, I liked his attitude, mean streak and competitiveness. This is what you should want in an OL. He would ensure our OL is not called "SOFT!"

The perception, their play, and results are saying, "SOFT!"  I hate to see and admit that as a Steelers fan. Don't like it? They have to get mean and physical and change it. Right now they look the part.  The Jaguars front line is full of high round draft choices, but this is the NFL.  For our team and OL it will be not for long, if we can't run or protect our QB.  Thank God Mitch Tribisky is as mobile as he is. 

Our offense would be so much better and consistent if they could run for five, six, seven, eight or nine yards on first down. My hope was getting a player like James Daniels would bring that attitude. Wynn and/or Leatherwood, at this point, would be an upgrade and add some proven veteran on the OL.  This line lacks consistency.  I think they need some time to gel (Daniels and Cole).  Dotson, Green, and Moore have all been inconsistent at best.  Is it talent? Is it ability? Is it desire? Is it technique? Whatever it is, they must figure it out.  It was a very poor showing/performance against Jacksonville. 

I think they want to give the line time to play together and work on the techniques.  Adding another player to the mix will just set them back.

I would not touch Leatherwood.  I hated him coming out of college and hav been proven correct.

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’d really want Andrea Dillard from the Eagles. Fits the Tomlin trade type target. Former 1st round pick. Has played well there since getting healthy. Would cost a 3rd and a player likely. 

What’s the situation there, is he not projected to start? Why would they be shopping him? Would definitely give up a 3rd and a player like Wormley for him. 

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

What’s the situation there, is he not projected to start? Why would they be shopping him? Would definitely give up a 3rd and a player like Wormley for him. 

That Australian kid has the job. Just got outplayed. That guy played like a top 7 LT last year. They aren’t shopping Dillard but they aren’t not shopping him. 

• Like 2